Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
penguinpelts

Patching Gloves

What's up gang? Wanted to share a product I tried for patching some holes in my gloves.

So far after three games, they're holding up. I'm a righty, so the big hole in my left palm is from the butt and actually holding my stick. The one on the right finger is because I don't take my wedding ring off ever, so it was much smaller and just starting to split open.

You can see from the patch on the palm that it is starting to peel up on the corner a bit, so will probably replace it sooner than later and will just try a small piece and not getting so close to that role/hem line.

Oh ya, didn't use any extra glue on the patches either. Cut the size I wanted, peeled the back off, stuck it on. Quick and easy. Maybe I'll try adding some on the next palm patch.

Again, wanted to share with everyone in case you were needing a repair. For the price it's doing its job, so can't complain at this point. Hope this helps.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Edited by penguinpelts

What's the product called?  Link doesn't work on my work computer.  

I had that same wedding band hole on my gloves, when I had them re-palmed by ITR I had him do a Kovy overlay which extends just past the ring area on the fingers, works great so far.  I know there was a company out there that made leather patches for palms, I think even full sized palm patches with adhesive and all, not sure if they're still around but I remember the site looking very old haha.  I've also wondered if padskinz makes patches for palms, their patches for gear is super strong and bonds really well, wonder how it would be on palms.

22 minutes ago, xstartxtodayx said:

What's the product called?  Link doesn't work on my work computer.  

I had that same wedding band hole on my gloves, when I had them re-palmed by ITR I had him do a Kovy overlay which extends just past the ring area on the fingers, works great so far.  I know there was a company out there that made leather patches for palms, I think even full sized palm patches with adhesive and all, not sure if they're still around but I remember the site looking very old haha.  I've also wondered if padskinz makes patches for palms, their patches for gear is super strong and bonds really well, wonder how it would be on palms.

Sure thing, here's the full title: Gear Aid Tenacious Tape GORE-TEX Fabric Patches, Black, 3" Round & 2" x 4" Rectangle, 2 Count

ahhh ok, I've had stuff like that to patch rips on the outside of my son's gloves, I think it's actually meant for tents/outdoor gear so it's pretty tough.  Held up well on my son's gloves but he was only 9 at the time and not the toughest on gear lol.  Padskinz is similar but heavier duty and the adhesive is a lot stronger but also quite a bit more expensive.

This is the old school site I was thinking of, "the palmsaver", site looks like it was made in the early days of internet lol:

http://thepalmsaver.com/

Man o' man, what great timing.   Somehow i developed a hole on my bottom hand thumb.  Never in my life have i had a hole happen on my bottom hand of any glove i've owned.  Anyhow, there's two layers of leather ( or synthetic leather ) and it only the top layers that has the hole.  This stuff looks like it would de great to cover up the existing hole and i won't have to worry about the second layer eventually opening up.

OP - How thin is this material?  Relatively thin or a bit on the thicker side?

Edited by noupf

Not OP, but I would say the thickness is similar to the thickness of the original palm material.  The material is pretty durable (it's really meant to repair technical clothing).  It's not as soft as hockey palm material, and yes, I would recommend adding a little more adhesive so the edges don't curl/roll.

The other option, vs using these that I've done in the past, is to take old gloves, cut out their palm material, and use to patch with adhesive.  Not as neat looking, but does the trick.

Curious what your go to adhesive would be in this scenario?  Do you have one that works well for glove patching, like you said, that will help keep the edges from rolling or peeling.  Thanks !

2 minutes ago, noupf said:

Curious what your go to adhesive would be in this scenario?  Do you have one that works well for glove patching, like you said, that will help keep the edges from rolling or peeling.  Thanks !

I use Loctite gel superglue.  It works pretty well and adheres very well to typical glove palm materials.  You do have to be careful not to use too much or you run the risk of making the fabric stiff.  I find the gel easier to control in that respect.  Works for me, but I am sure there's another type of adhesive that works much better out there. (i.e. fabric glue, etc)

6 hours ago, noupf said:

Barge cement with the yellow and red label. 

21 hours ago, noupf said:

OP - How thin is this material?  Relatively thin or a bit on the thicker side?

Sorry for the delay here, work sucked yesterday.

Like S_T_G mentioned, these are very thin. For the hole in the palm, I put another piece on the inside to help seal it up and reduce the stickiness when actually wearing it. I can't tell a difference. The hole in the finger, of course, was harder to get to, so I just used a piece of stick tape on the inside for that one, as best as I could. Again, so my ring/finger wasn't sticking to the adhesive.

@shoot_the_goalie I did read the option of taking the palms from another pair, but I just couldn't find a pair cheap enough to then destroy. Definitely going to keep the old gloves around now for that reason.

On 9/9/2023 at 3:49 AM, shoot_the_goalie said:

Barge cement is great stuff, but isn't it a risk for skin toxicity?  I'm asking cause I know it uses pretty powerful solvents.

I've used it for many years without issue.  

Bumping up to the top to see if the OP has any updates on durability of the patches over the last 2 months?  @penguinpeltshow are the Gear Aid Tenacious Tape patches holding up?  Still going strong or did you move on to something different?  I've used them to fix some rips on jackets and they are great for that, but they don't take the wear and tear in that role that they would on a glove palm.