Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
tjl_48

AS3 Pro Home Baking

Anyone have any suggestions for home bakong some AS3 Pro's I just purchased. I don't have easy access to a skate oven, and would like to bake these. Look like CCM says 220 for 2 minutes. Everything on home baking online says 175 for 5-7 minutes. Assuming I got with the CCM instructions and an oven is an oven. Just place them on a towel on a cookie sheet and good to go? 

Sorry if this has been covered. I searched but came up empty. 

I don't have the exact temp/time for the skates but I did my FT4 Pros at home a couple years back and the CCM directions you posted sound more like what I did, I remember it only being a couple of minutes definitely not 5-7 minutes.  I used a baking sheet to lay the skate down on and did one at a time.  I followed these steps below aside from the temp/time, also if you haven't read about the wrap technique I suggest you read into it as it provides some great results (you can get the wrapping stuff on Amazon or from Staples or any hardware store).

https://www.icewarehouse.com/lc/skates/how-to-bake-a-hockey-skate-at-home.html

• Thanks 1

Tips: 1) use a convection oven if you can.  Traditional ovens - the heat source is too uneven.  2) whatever is your goal temp, when the oven reaches that temp, TURN OFF the oven, then put the skate in.  3) Place skate (one at a time) in oven on a baking sheet lined with a dish towel.  4) only bake with cloth laces - never waxed for obvious reasons.  5) for my convection oven, since the fan is in the back, I always put the skate in blade side closest to the oven door.  6) do one skate a time and don't try to rush both skates.

Yes CCM had it at like 220 for 2 minutes for those skates if i recall correctly.  For what its worth, i lowered the temp to 185 and did it for 4 minutes with my 100K Pro's.  Much better moldability in my opinion.  Did it a second time a few day slater to get a better wrap.  Worked out well for me.

Edited by noupf

29 minutes ago, noupf said:

Yes CCM had it at like 220 for 2 minutes for those skates if i recall correctly.  For what its worth, i lowered the temp to 185 and did it for 4 minutes with my 100K Pro's.  Much better moldability in my opinion.  Did it a second time a few day slater to get a better wrap.  Worked out well for me.

Believe I did the same with my FT6 Pros. 2 minutes didn’t soften them up as much as I’d like to mold certain spots on the boot 

7 hours ago, shoot_the_goalie said:

Tips: 1) use a convection oven if you can.  Traditional ovens - the heat source is too uneven.  2) whatever is your goal temp, when the oven reaches that temp, TURN OFF the oven, then put the skate in.  3) Place skate (one at a time) in oven on a baking sheet lined with a dish towel.  4) only bake with cloth laces - never waxed for obvious reasons.  5) for my convection oven, since the fan is in the back, I always put the skate in blade side closest to the oven door.  6) do one skate a time and don't try to rush both skates.

Thanks for the heads up on the wax laces. I just swapped them out and was going to bake later tonight. Didn't even think about it. 

Think I am going to do 185 for 4 then. 2 minutes did seem fairly short to get the skate adequately heated. 

if you do the wrap method the laces don't even get tightened so they're not even necessary at all, the wrapping will tighten the boot to the foot and you won't run the slight risk of damaging eyelets.

• Like 2

2 mins is very conservative for obvious reasons as ccm doesn't want to be liable for customers messing up their skates. I personally always do 3-5 mins but with that said 220 is pretty high temp and I actually only do180-200. I do however check the boot at the 2 min mark to see how warm and soft they are and then go from there. I always put the skates one at a time on a towel which is on a baking sheet. Putting the skates directly on the baking sheet you MIGHT leave marks on your skates. 

I have a convection so I don't even turn it off. I've baked a lot of Bauer ccm and true skates in my oven so I know what I'm doing. And as others mentioned the wrap technique is the way to go as it'll prevent any chance of eyelet damage. 

Edited by Sniper9