Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Bernard

Wissota Grinding Wheels

I currently own a Sparx (1st Generation) and a Wissota 911.  I originally purchased the Wissota to sharpen skates as I have 2 boys that play hockey in addition to myself, and the nearest rink is 40 minutes away.  The Wissota initially sat around a few weeks and then I purchased a Sparx machine as the Sparx trend gained momentum in 2018.  I figured I would sell the Wissota on Ebay, but I am glad I did not.  The Sparx worked fine on the Bauer LS3 runners but as my kids advanced to the Black Step Steel and Bauer LS Pulse TI the Sparx was “ok” in my humble opinion.  I finally blew the dust off of the Wissota and learned how to use it properly.  My boys are satisfied with my product for the most part, but they love the sharpening that the Blademaster machine provides with the Blademaster purple wheel.  Does the Wissota blue wheel (100 grit) provide a similar finish or is there a 3rd party out there that sells something similar for Wissota?  Also, anyone ever use Parduc wheels for Wissota?

Did it come with a wheel standard? It should have an rpm rating that might matter. I’ve had difficulties in the past with an EZ-Sharp machine, I feel like the motor was rated a lower rpm as compared to blademaster or BlackStone. 

I keep a green wheel around for removing the factory polish on that type of steel, and a yellow or purple for a nice sharpen. Just my personal preference. 
blue and ruby tend to be popular as well

1 hour ago, Bernard said:

I currently own a Sparx (1st Generation) and a Wissota 911.  I originally purchased the Wissota to sharpen skates as I have 2 boys that play hockey in addition to myself, and the nearest rink is 40 minutes away.  The Wissota initially sat around a few weeks and then I purchased a Sparx machine as the Sparx trend gained momentum in 2018.  I figured I would sell the Wissota on Ebay, but I am glad I did not.  The Sparx worked fine on the Bauer LS3 runners but as my kids advanced to the Black Step Steel and Bauer LS Pulse TI the Sparx was “ok” in my humble opinion.  I finally blew the dust off of the Wissota and learned how to use it properly.  My boys are satisfied with my product for the most part, but they love the sharpening that the Blademaster machine provides with the Blademaster purple wheel.  Does the Wissota blue wheel (100 grit) provide a similar finish or is there a 3rd party out there that sells something similar for Wissota?  Also, anyone ever use Parduc wheels for Wissota?

100 grit would be nice for a very fine finishing pass, but you could get the same result with these wheels and using some finishing pass oil or wax. 

https://wholesaleskatesharpening.com/product/grinding-wheel-wissota/

https://wholesaleskatesharpening.com/product-category/sharpening-lubes/

Not trying to hijack this thread...anyone think the Wissota 911 portable is good enough over a Blackstone portable that is about 1000 more?

I am an experienced sharpener...over 10 years. Will be for personal use and teammates. Will do FBV and ROH.

11 hours ago, x-axis said:

Not trying to hijack this thread...anyone think the Wissota 911 portable is good enough over a Blackstone portable that is about 1000 more?

I am an experienced sharpener...over 10 years. Will be for personal use and teammates. Will do FBV and ROH.

Are you going to buy this to do FBV?

https://shop.blackstonesport.com/spinner-system-adapter/product/convertible-spinner-system

If so, that puts the price of the Wissota above the Blackstone machine. 

10 hours ago, x-axis said:

No, Wissota has their own version for $275

Oh yeah, I forgot they made that unit.

Honestly, it's a toss up, as both machines will get the job done equally. If you are going to be transporting the unit, the Blackstone has an overall better design, IMO. 

Edited by VegasHockey

On 1/19/2024 at 3:26 PM, Buzz_LightBeer said:

Did it come with a wheel standard?

Yes - the Wissota pink grinding stone.  It's 80 Grit.  In rephrasing my question - What grit is the Blade Master purple colored wheel - 80 or 100?

7 hours ago, Bernard said:

Yes - the Wissota pink grinding stone.  It's 80 Grit.  In rephrasing my question - What grit is the Blade Master purple colored wheel - 80 or 100?

Grit is not the only factor, the wheel composition is even more important. 

On 1/19/2024 at 1:53 PM, Bernard said:

I have 2 boys that play hockey in addition to myself, and the nearest rink is 40 minutes away. 

The Sparx worked fine on the Bauer LS3 runners but as my kids advanced to the Black Step Steel and Bauer LS Pulse TI the Sparx was “ok” in my humble opinion.

Do you mean the nearest hockey store is 40 minutes away?

What about the Sparx vs certain brands of steel?

Edited by 218hockey

What's the learning curve like when it comes to manual sharpening? I'm not 100% happy with my Sparx, and I've considered getting something like the Wissota 911 for home use. I'm on the ice 4-6 times a week, and my wife a similar amount, so we sharpen quite a bit. Is there another machine other than the Wissota worth looking at? Not sure if I'd actually pull the trigger, but it's something I think about a lot. 

49 minutes ago, dasuchin said:

What's the learning curve like when it comes to manual sharpening? I'm not 100% happy with my Sparx, and I've considered getting something like the Wissota 911 for home use. I'm on the ice 4-6 times a week, and my wife a similar amount, so we sharpen quite a bit. Is there another machine other than the Wissota worth looking at? Not sure if I'd actually pull the trigger, but it's something I think about a lot. 

I don't think it's too difficult, but it does take practices, and you will need to dedicate time to perfecting your technique.  

I aM considering a manual one as well, maybe I am a nerd but I like the thought of everything that goes into doing it right.  Was in Johnstown last week and stopped by the shop where Dana Heinze sharpens.  Nobody was there and he spent like 45 minutes talking to us about sharpening and the Pens.  I kind of nerded out.  I love that stuff.

I guess it’s between Wissota and Blademaster?  What about the EZ Sharp machine?  I don’t hear that mentioned much.

Edited by BenBreeg

4 hours ago, BenBreeg said:

I aM considering a manual one as well, maybe I am a nerd but I like the thought of everything that goes into doing it right.  Was in Johnstown last week and stopped by the shop where Dana Heinze sharpens.  Nobody was there and he spent like 45 minutes talking to us about sharpening and the Pens.  I kind of needed out.  I love that stuff.

I guess it’s between Wissota and Blademaster?  What about the EZ Sharp machine?  I don’t hear that mentioned much.

I've used the EZ Sharp for 8+ years through my first rink job. I think they have the worst jig because it just has one dial, which only shifts the angle and not height which is manually screw adjusted. I personally despise the machine.  Not a fan of their true dressing system either. 

EZ sharp hasn't updated their site in years. It says it's $1720 which is beyond ridiculous.

Base model Wissota is $1500

I spoke to a Blackstone rep. Their base price went up to $5260.

Blademaster, you can get a base benchtop model for $1350.

A new benchtop Blademaster for the Value is great. 

It's funny, I'm sharpening for a couple of my son's high school teammates that aren't satisfied with the Sparx sharpening quality.  "This is going to sound weird , but could you do my son's skates?"  

Keep an eye out for Blackstone X02 or even an X01 if it's just for you. I've had both, they are great machines and I was able to get great deals on both used. They aren't available new from Blackstone anymore, but per the rep I spoke with they don't have any plans to stop supporting that line. 

Don't be intimidated to learn how to sharpen manually. It's tremendously satisfying and not that hard. It helps tremendously to have an experienced sharpener give you some guidance if possible.  But it's also not the end of the world if you can't.  

Edited by Monty22

On 1/31/2024 at 8:46 AM, dasuchin said:

The Cag One Evolution I believe uses the same dressing spinners as the Blackstone machines. I think they get them direct from Blackstone. You can use the same grind wheels Blackstone uses on their machines. . Just make sure if you get one to get one from the official Cag One dealer for N.America not Antronix in Quebec, because they are not endorsed or afflilated with the Cag One HQ in Sweden.