Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Radien55

How to remove steel from CCM XS holder when stubborn? (no tool?)

With the Bauers I had a tool, sometimes they would come out by hand, sometimes I needed to use the tool. I could skate right off the ice and change to another set, even if they were full of ice and snow, thanks to the tool. With the CCMs I can't do this.

My Tacks or the steel didn't come with any tool. By hand, I can only remove the blades under optimal conditions, IE when they are dry and holding the skate in my hand. This makes changing steel during the same session difficult. Removing the blades under good conditions have worked okay with regular Step Steel, but I got a few sets of Black Steel and they are a PITA to get out. One skate is especially stubborn and I have to pull really hard on it, it goes from being stuck to flying out, because I have to use so much force, and blades are sharp, so my hands are in danger every time. My LS edge tool doesn't work on CCM and I don't want to use pliers because that will scratch up the steel.

Is coated steel to be avoided because of the added thickness or is there a simpler way?

Flat head screwdriver and put it in the notch at the back of the steel where it meets the holder under the dial

• Like 1

6 hours ago, xstartxtodayx said:

I picked these up a while back, they work like a charm! They have the rubber on them so they won't damage the steel. They now live in my hockey bag and have come in handy on numerous occasions.

https://a.co/d/fXVn7B5

51KVZZJglQL._AC_SL1001_.jpg

Those look like great! I will order one directly to save my hands. I've had so many cuts the last couple of weeks that the hockey tape had to double as band aid.

Thanks for the tip!

• Like 1

Do people run into a lot of situations where you need to change steel mid beer league game? I can probably count on two fingers the times I’ve lost an edge so badly I would need to spend the time an energy mid game to change the steel. 

3 hours ago, start_today said:

Do people run into a lot of situations where you need to change steel mid beer league game? I can probably count on two fingers the times I’ve lost an edge so badly I would need to spend the time an energy mid game to change the steel. 

It has happened to me once or twice but the pliers make it easier when doing it between games/at home (new steel/new holders can be pretty tight... I had to replace one of my holders and that one was significantly tighter).  Last month I had to change mid game, one of the few times ever... had gotten a bad sharpening, not level and my outer edge was no existent.  Firs two games I played on soft crappy ice (or standard LI ice) and didn't notice, but next game I was at one of the few good rinks with harder ice and had to swap steel after a couple of shifts.