Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
SolarWind

Reputable skate sharpening shop in Edmonton and Toronto?

Hi,

My little guy is doing travel hockey now so I have to expand beyond the comfort of home sparx sharpening lol

Are there any reputable shops that are open on weekends in Edmonton and Toronto that you’d take your own skate for sharpening where you can trust the edges will be level and the existing profile won’t be altered? 
thanks!

20 hours ago, SolarWind said:

Hi,

My little guy is doing travel hockey now so I have to expand beyond the comfort of home sparx sharpening lol

Are there any reputable shops that are open on weekends in Edmonton and Toronto that you’d take your own skate for sharpening where you can trust the edges will be level and the existing profile won’t be altered? 
thanks!

What is wrong with Sparx? Sparx doesn't alter the profile significantly and if you are concerned about his profile you should be getting it redone every few months. How old is he? What level does he play? 

4 hours ago, VegasHockey said:

What is wrong with Sparx? Sparx doesn't alter the profile significantly and if you are concerned about his profile you should be getting it redone every few months. How old is he? What level does he play? 

Sparx is perfect Nick, no complains. But wife had no interest taking on the flight, it’s too big for carry on and checking it in is like extra $50 each way. 
Hence the comment - have no choice but to leave the safety of home sharpening and wonder into the wild world of random sharpeners lol 

Never had the need as of yet In Edmonton so can’t help you there but paying attention to thread just in case for future…

I’m sure others here will chime with recommendations in the epicenter of the land of hockey, but in my few travels for hockey to Toronto area I trust my sons Blades with 2 spots.

Scotiabank Pond has a Skatescribe  Machine they run out of there which if you are unaware of is basically the chat GPT or Cadillac of automated sharpeners with nothing I’ve seen being able to match finish or precision.

57 Carl Hall Rd, Toronto ON M3K 2B6, Canada

https://www.buckinghamarena.com

The Second place in area I trust steel with are the guys down at Toronto Pro Hockey shop in Vaughn. A lot Juniors and Tier 1 in area use them exclusively and they do quick turn around with quality workmanship. 

12-27 Roytec Rd, Vaughan ON L4L 8E3, Canada

https://toronto-pro.com

Good luck and have fun on trip.  Be sure check out Hockey Hall of Fame downtown and grab a bite at historical St. Lawerence Market right down the street. My favorite is the Peameal Sandwhich.

• Like 1

Not to be that guy... but why not just grab an extra set of blades?

- No surprises for your kid between Sparx sharpened blades from home and the shop while you're on the road

- No waiting at the shop on a business tournament weekend

-No possibility of the shop being closed for _______ reason

• Like 2

7 hours ago, helmet91 said:

Not to be that guy... but why not just grab an extra set of blades?

- No surprises for your kid between Sparx sharpened blades from home and the shop while you're on the road

- No waiting at the shop on a business tournament weekend

-No possibility of the shop being closed for _______ reason

To play devil's advocate - what happens when your kid nicks both sets of blades during the weekend?  Unless you are going to travel with the Sparx (he isn't) - you need to have a back up plan.  Especially at the younger ages when you are playing 2-a-days, you are compressing a lot of ice time into a short time frame and as they get older and the game becomes more physical, stuff happens.

Edited by krisdrum

Small feet, still size 13 youth, last size before junior sizes where replaceable blades become available. 
I could try to swap a holder and upsize but it’s too much hassle since he’ll outgrow these skates by the time spring hockey ends.

And yes, most tourneys have 2 games per day, lots of opportunity to roll your edges when blades clash at the boards etc… 

I use 1 place in Toronto, Duke's Source for Sports. Technically in Etobicoke, which is a district in the west end of Toronto. Another place I trust my skates with is Hockey Lion in Richmond Hill, which is a city just north of Toronto. I suppose a better way of answering your question would be to know where he'll be playing in Toronto?

Edited by Gswift
spelling
  • Like 1

n Toronto:

Pro Skate Corner (inside the skating lab, accessable from the Chesswood Arena parking lot)

Just Hockey on Don Mills north of Eglinton and south of Lawrence

Majer Hockey on Dufferin north of Finch

Hockey Lion in Markham or Richmond Hill

Scotiapoind would be good, but extremely busy during a tournament with long wait times. The fancy Skatescribemachine seems cool, but I recall it being expensive ( I havent used it, but noticed it while at the rink for a ref clinic.

The weekday  head tech at the Leaside SportCheck does a good job (I am less confudent with nights and weekends where you may get someone less experienced)

I stay away from Canlan and Canadian Tire due to previous bad experiences

Edited by althoma1