Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

notorious#29

Canada = saving money?

I live in Michigan, and if traffic is good I can make it to Windsor in about 45 min. Now a friend told me(although he's never done it) that with exchange rates or something I could save money if I bought my gear in Canada. Is there truth behind this or not. And I apologize now if this is an extremely dumb question, but Math is not my best subject, and I way to lazy to actually do the math myself :P

It's not worth it. Most online stores in the US are cheaper than the stores here in Canada. The hockey companies know that us Canadians will pay a higher price for equipment than Americans. The Canadian dollar is fairly strong right now anyways so you won't be getting that much in return for your money.

Maybe. Some high end stuff (cough, Easton, cough) are brutal price-wise in Canada though. Depends on what the store has. Wood sticks are a good deal, esp if there's a sale at Canadian Tire. :lol:

I live in Michigan, and if traffic is good I can make it to Windsor in about 45 min. Now a friend told me(although he's never done it) that with exchange rates or something I could save money if I bought my gear in Canada. Is there truth behind this or not. And I apologize now if this is an extremely dumb question, but Math is not my best subject, and I way to lazy to actually do the math myself :P

This would have been true like a year ago when the CDN Dollar was very low, It was trading at about 64 cents US. Now it's over 80 cents US, pair that up with higher prices and it isn't such a good deal to buy stuff in Canada anymore.

and you only pay one tax in the states. If you are in Michigan you should get your gear at peranis. They have very good ops deals right now as well.

Just to muddy the waters a bit more on the tax front...

If you are not a canadian resident, you can apply for a tax refund after the fact. There are dollar amount limits, which for GST (7%) is minimum claim of $200 before taxes and each receipt must be at least $50 before taxes. For PST (another 8%), each retail receipt must be $625 pre-tax.

So, in theory, if you're willing to wait a bit for the refund and are diligent (and rich) enough to meet the minimums, you pay no taxes in Canada for goods that you bring back with you. Any goods or services consumed in Canada are not eligible for the rebate.

This would have been true like a year ago when the CDN Dollar was very low, It was trading at about 64 cents US. Now it's over 80 cents US, pair that up with higher prices and it isn't such a good deal to buy stuff in Canada anymore.

Not to mention the insane taxes you'll have to pay in Canada.

It is worth a look, but I took a roadtrip 2 years ago from niagra falls, thru toronto and montreal, and back to the US at Lake Champlaign. I stoped in a few hockey shops (some quite impresive looking) and bought nothing, because everything I wanted was available and cheaper in the US. Somehow, even for stuff made in Canada, Canadians get hosed!

Not to mention the insane taxes you'll have to pay in Canada.

True, but you can stock up on whatever kind of tobacco/alcohol/perfume you want with your tax rebates at the Duty Free Shops on the border.

It is worth a look, but I took a roadtrip 2 years ago from niagra falls, thru toronto and montreal, and back to the US at Lake Champlaign. I stoped in a few hockey shops (some quite impresive looking) and bought nothing, because everything I wanted was available and cheaper in the US. Somehow, even for stuff made in Canada, Canadians get hosed!

You should see the cost of a pair of chest waders or any fishing gear, we pay twice as much as any US customer.

first off.... these guys have mentioned it a bit... but with the current exchange rate, you won't see a real savingsl... add in the gas to drive an hour and a half round trip, plus toll both ways, there went any possible savings and probably just cost you more. if you live anywhere in the metro detroit area, you have a pleathora of local hockey stores to shop at... why not shop at one of them, and help keep them in business. with regards to internet shopping... pay freight (sometimes) and hope to get the product you ordered... and receive no customer service if there is a problem... deal with a local store, get service, and feel comfortable that you will get what you order, or purchase. SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL DEALERS, or none of us will have local stores to shop at!!!

Back when..and the Canadian dollar was running about $.78 US and before NAFTA, I used to use a 1.68 factor on US list price to price the same equipment for retail sale in Canada in Canadian dollars.....Nafta has reduced the duties and the exchange rates are better, so the factor becomes about 1.45 now for North American produced goods, but is still up prettyclose to the old factor for stuff made off shore. ....This before taxes..and in Canadian dollars...still taking the exchange rate into effect, it's not a very good deal.....Some things like clothes, used to be about the same price in Canadian dollars (not sporting goods)..not top of the line stuff but run of the mill department store stuff..polo shirts, jeans, dockers(or equivalent), shorts etc....You could buy this stuff and put it in your suitcase..... :rolleyes: