Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hipster

Stick length?

Where do you guys cut your stick in relation to standing up straight in street shoes?

I've always cut it off somewhere between my lips and the tip of my nose, but lately I've been experimenting with some old sticks and cutting them lower and lower to find the right feel.

I cut one off just below my chin in stocking feet, and I found that it felt weird at first, but I was gettiong off a rocket backhand, and my stickhandling just felt like no one could take it away from me.

Where do you cut off your sticks and what are your reasons?

The generally rule of thumb that I hear is to cut the stick at the tip of the nose when you're in street shoes. I play wing so I like a slightly shorter stick. I also cut my stick up to the length between the tip of my nose and my lip. I don't really have much of a reason to do so. I just find that it's easier to stickhandle with a shorter stick.

I also use a shorter stick, about up to my collarbone. Way, way, way better for stickhandling, and it's just more comfortable for me.

I use a fairly long stick, cut to my lips when I'm in skates (nose when in shoes.) Stickhandling definitely suffers on certain maneuvers in tight situations, but I just try use the length of the stick to my advantage in a one-on-one. I'd call my skating style a medium-bend.

i have noticed a trend in minor leagues that stick length is longer. i wonder if coaches make them use longer sticks.

what minor leagues? no coach can ever make a player use a certain length stick. longer sticks are becoming a popular trend. i think with taller players its a must, im 75 inches tall and i use a v130 thats 60 inches plus a 3 inch wooden plug. shooting with a longer stick is sick especially slappers. if you want to be bobby dangle go short but if you want more leverage and area coverage for say go with a longer twig, my old coach who was a former pro preached a longer twig and most russians will say longer is better

When I used to play D, I used the longest stick I could get ahold of, but stick handling was hard sometimes. Now I have it cut Just slightly below my chin with skates on. Much better.

Just under my bottom lip barefoot. It comes around to the middle of my neck in skates. I just started using a stick that short because i had my stick from last year where it came to my eyebrows when i got it. I liked it alot when it was that long. Then i grew and was thinking about getting an end plug for it, but im to cheep to spend my money :D Then i beggan to love the stick. My stick handling was better and my shots were better.

I've noticed that due to how short I am (5'4), I need to use a longer stick to get a decent flex. I usually use an intermediate stick and am now using it at about an inch over my nose... I used to cut my stick to my lips but noticed that my shots all-around were suffering in velocity and control and I couldn't get a decent feel of the flex. I can deal with the longer stick, just gotta cut down on those toe drag moves.

I've got a deep knee bend and I use a stick cut to my chin when I am on my feet, collarbone-ish when I am on skates. Except for woodies, whereas I cut them less, at my lips off ice.

im about 5'10 defence i like a long stick good for poke checks and i love having the reach when i buy a stick now i usallay just cut a 1.5 inch off the extenision.

For some reason i really like a short stick. When im in shoes my stick usually comes to my lips. I think that a shorter stick really helps stick-handling and shooting but on defence it's tough. Which is why im a center or right wing.

to my chin in shoes.

For me it was really hard to get use to using a shorter stick, but now that im use to it, I would never go back.

I'm 6' and play defense but in bare feet my stick barely feathers under my chin. I'm just used to it that way, and I have sorta long arms so it makes up for the cut off length.

For the most part, I'll take out the plug, put in a cap, and then leave it. As long as the length is within a half inch of my other sticks, I don't care enough to cut it. My sticks come up to my mouth without skates on.

i cant stand using a short stick. i think it just depends on if you bend down or stand up a lot in hockey. all my sticks are too long and i get criticism for it, but i cant stand the small stick, so ill keep on using a long one.