Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jnicklo

Pickup Hockey with HotShots

I started playing hockey 2 years ago and put in alot of time to get better..anytimw there was hockey to be played i was there I average 8 times a week playing league and pick up...i lead my team in scoring. When I first started on this team i was obviously brutal now that i have progressed past alot of the guys it had created disccent among alot of guys wont even pass the Puck..just a rant

I love it 5 players from the same team show up and all go out at one time and refuse to come off the ice or sometimes when two kids who know eachother show up and will only pass to eachother. That really bothers me. I also dont like it when some 16 year old kids come and checks kids who are 12. If your 16 why would you play a 12 year old your hardest wtf thats just not right. You could really hurt a younger kid by doing that. (im only 15 so im talking about youth drop in hockey)

It's not always possible to do, but I like to skate in private pickups. Generally, the person in charge can talk to, or even kick out, the people who cause too much trouble.

When playing with adult league players, I'm the youngest players and stand out quite well, in terms of playing ability and skill but I never have been really cocky and be an arrogant "hot shot".

I mean, I got checked really hard by my 4th line's winger and it hurt but hey, gave credit to the guy for puting in a good check.

If I'm in anyone's area, I'll be glad to be the nice hot shot player for your adult league :P

When my son was 16 he had been playing MLRH, PIHA and in the USHIL National Junior Program... MLRH is semi pro AAA inline hockey..and there is also fighting allowed in the league as well as full contact. He was in the top 25 or so in the league in scoring in MLRH his rookie season, but only about 155lbs, and 5' 9", so when he was playing MLRH he became something of a target. Nothing like a small speedy forward to piss of a 250 lb defensive minded player. He became pretty adept at handing himself physically in inline hockey...even had a few fights....(not with 250 lb defencemen however)

He would play pick up with the adults locally and sometimes a bunch of ball hockey street players would show up priding themselves in the "open hockey slapper" as everyone yelled whenever one of them took a slap shot, and were generally guys who figured NHL rules applied, so my son would have a lot of fun with them if they stepped over the line. These were generally guys who had never played any truly organized hockey, and were used to winning on the streets/parks by intimidation not skill.

After he had made them look really foolish with his hands and skating, of course the nasty stickwork came out, as well as a few deciding they had to "take the body" to show him what "real hockey" was all about....That was pretty funny..watching this fairly small 16 year old dump a bunch of these clowns on their asses, while they were trying to hit him..and all the while maintaining possession of the puck. Then if they seriously hit him from behind they would find themselves over the boards the next time they touched the puck. He knows what leverage is all about.

All the regulars knew, and liked my son who, although a "hot dog" at times, still passed the puck around all the time and made sure everyone else got in the play. So whenever these situations came up...they usually egged on the competition...just to see what would happen....these guys rairly ever came back to the rink unless they figured out how the local open hockey game was played....generally a pretty friendly and clean night of hockey. If they didn't learn quickly..the embarrassment levels got pretty high.

We have a player in my (very bush and non-serious) inline league that wears no gloves or shin guards. Anytime he hits the ground, he comes up screaming and starts throwing a cross check at whomever he thinks is to blame. This is pretty much a weekly occurrence. You should also hear him scream about slashing anytime a stick touches his legs - it's pretty much the same reaction: Here comes Captain Cross Check. I do not understand how someone who wears no gear besides a helmet feels they can snivel because of their choice.

We have a player in my (very bush and non-serious) inline league that wears no gloves or shin guards. Anytime he hits the ground, he comes up screaming and starts throwing a cross check at whomever he thinks is to blame. This is pretty much a weekly occurrence. You should also hear him scream about slashing anytime a stick touches his legs - it's pretty much the same reaction: Here comes Captain Cross Check. I do not understand how someone who wears no gear besides a helmet feels they can snivel because of their choice.

Now there's a guy who would end up blocking a lot of shots around me.

i love how serious the guys out here in Rochester Mi take drop in hockey. me and a few buddies go out occasionaly to just mess around and have some fun with the boys and it seems every time someone gets pissed off and ends up taking runs at us. were all 16 and 17 and all varsity level players even tho a few of us are on jv. we play good clean finesse hoceky with stick handelin skills and passing. we play with our heads up looking to pass to anyone, not just eachother. we all go out there with halfers on and no shoulders because its supposed to be just low key hockey refreshing your fundamental skills, not your physical game. after 20 minutes of us actualy having fun and trying to include everyone some one on the other team thinks were hot doggin it or trying to embarrase everyone else and takes runs at all of us. most of us are pretty big guys (over 6 feet ) and we can handle our selves with clean hits but its the guys who run you from behind and start lettin sticks come up in the throat/face regions which really piss me off. just to cap off my rant saturday night me and the guys went out and someone took a run at me from center ice from behind and just smoked me sending me face first on the ice sending my helmet to the corner, i get up get my helmet and get the puck , i know who did it but i didnt say anytihng because there was no point, it already happeend. i take the puck past him and he throws a stcik in my neck and chin, i dump the puck and get off. next shift with him he drops the mitts and i skate away becasue i wasnt in the mood to fight a 30 year old man at drop in hockey. to end a story short everyone else on the ice told the guy to lay off and he ended up leavin early

im 14 and sometimes play with my dad at open hockey and even though we have private ice there are still the 40 plus year old guys who feel they can fufil their hockey fantasy by tripping me on a breakaway... its very mature. We also get the guy so caught up in the game he will just leave when his team starts to "loose"

When playing with adult league players, I'm the youngest players and stand out quite well, in terms of playing ability and skill but I never have been really cocky and be an arrogant "hot shot".

I mean, I got checked really hard by my 4th line's winger and it hurt but hey, gave credit to the guy for puting in a good check.

If I'm in anyone's area, I'll be glad to be the nice hot shot player for your adult league :P

Agreed, usually when the older guys see me watching my dads game, theyll ask me to hop in. Im always delighted too, but Im always the first on the bench and the last on the rink, just becuase Its not my place. Whenever theres a hotshot thats acting like a punk, Ill actually try on him and go full speed.--I dont really want to go full speed on the older guys--. But I love it when I get to play with them, cause its sort of a different game. My age kids in travel are always chippy and if you try anything fancy youll get laid out. But when Im in on the beer league, its just all fun and you dont have to worry about the slash to the ankle as you pass them.

And you said you dont play with helmets? Thats crazy. Even when Im just in warmups skating in circles shooting on net, I will always wear my helmet. Its actually our rinks rules, but there have been to many freak accidents that Ive seen and I dont want to risk anything

Just thought I would provide a comment or two on pickup hockey from a 40 year old novice's perspective. I have been skating for roughly a year now and been playing hockey about six months. Even though I don't have a whole lot of skills, I still take pride in the effort. I'm pretty quiet but I listen alot to some of the rink veterans and hear what impresses them, and almost inevitably, it's the ability to pass and play defense. I have learned at pickup hockey the value of a simple "sorry" if a stick gets too high or an accidental trip happens, and it's amazing how physical you can be with someone without retaliation if you simply throw in a "good job" now and again. In my area, seems this concept is really lost on the teenagers, although some of them are great kids. At the end of the day, we all have to get up the next morning and make a living someplace other than the rink...

i love how serious the guys out here in Rochester Mi take drop in hockey.................

Isn't that the truth.

I can't stand it when a whole team will show up. They decide that pick-up just became a team practice since they are all there. Then they try to take up half the rink, while everyone else who paid just as much as they did has to skate on the other side. Or sometimes they will insist that it's them against everyone else, which isn't bad sometimes, but nine times out of ten it's either, (1) They go all out like they are playing in a season game. Or (2) The team ends up sucking and once enough goals get scored on them they resume taking over half the rink and most the pucks :angry: . On one occasion, one team actually brought both of their coaches, who decided they were going to ref, call penalties, and keep score. Here's an idea. Next time all twenty of them should take their $10 and put it towards buying some ice time.

notorious, you play drop in out of the onyx? im the big 16 year old kid who always has a lip in, no shoulders and a halfer with all the navy pants and gloves and shit, not hard to pick me out of a bunch.

notorious, you play drop in out of the onyx? im the big 16 year old kid who always has a lip in, no shoulders and a halfer with all the navy pants and gloves and shit, not hard to pick me out of a bunch.

Nope, I haven't in a while. I'd like to play there again some point, but I've been pretty busy lately. What drop-in do you go to?

The ones who like to play dirty but whine you give it back a little are great for one thing......practicing your top shelf shots from in close. Bury a few pucks in their stomach up close and they shut up. Around here they usually have a big gut that hangs out of their pants. Easy target.

In my experience most people are pretty cool about sticktime. I myself don't play the body, don't take slapshots, and generally try to work on my passing...but have to agree, there's always one or two jerks out there. I can live with the hot dog. He may be frustrating, but he's not going to hurt anyone. It's the hacks that drive me nuts...and from what I've found, it's mostly people somewhat new to hockey (at least hear in GA.) The guys who grew up playing know when to back it down a notch.