Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Solidus433

Faceoff help!

Hey everyone,

So I've been playing center for 13 games now, and need major help with faceoffs. I've watched dozens of videos on YouTube, have talked to multiple coaches and teammates, all who have given great advice, I just can't seem to translate it to success on the ice. I've been told to "cheat" a little on faceoffs, and have asked for clarification on what that is, and the only response I get is "you know, just cheat a little". Some games I do ok, some games are great, but in general, for the most part, I'm absolutely terrible when it comes to faceoffs.

One question I have that no one seems to be able to answer is, how soon can I, as the center, begin to move for the puck? As soon as the ref makes motion of dropping the puck? Once it hits the ice? I'm really thinking that this is my biggest hindrance right now is just not knowing if I'm jumping too late on every draw. ANY help would be INCREDIBLY helpful, have our championship game next Thursday and really want to do better in the circles. Thanks everyone.

Each individual ref will have a different definition of what a false start is. Your best bet is to jump early the first draw you take and make adjustments from there. One thing that works for me when I take draws (which I am terrible at as well) is to tie up the other center so he can't win it cleanly. Talk to your wingers before the game and tell them you are going for a tie up so they can skate over and take the puck while you have the other center occupied. Everything after that is just repetition and practice.

I've never really tried to explain this, so here goes nothin'. My high % FO win move is when I flip my bottom hand over (so both gloves are palm down), I move my top hand a foot or two down the shaft and I'm trying win the puck to the d-man who's behind me to the right. I'm right handed so it's backhanded, rear pass. I like this grip because it feels like I can move faster with more power than the traditional overhand/underhand grip.

I react when I think the ref is going to release the puck out of his hand, not when he actually drops it (that's the cheating I think you're referring to, especially if you do go a little early). When this happens, I shoot outward and down, trying to land my stick just an inch or two in front of the puck, hopefully to protect and solidify the puck in my possession for that split second. I continue in one motion to pull the puck back and draw it back to the defensemen, hopefully the first try. There's all kinds of variations you can do with this and it's not something you should do every single time. Flipping the bottom hand over limits going to the forehand side, so there's also some situations where you should a traditional grip.

Timing is the key to being successful, which takes time (no pun intended) to get the hang of. To me, a perfect draw entails making contact with the puck, with your blade on the ice, just before the puck hits the ice.

TeamHonda's tie-up method is another good move, especially when you're just starting out. If you linemates know you well enough, all you have to do is give them "the look" or head nod and they'll know to rush in.

Hope this helps buddy, best of luck!

yeah i'm a big fan of tieing up the other player then using your feet or something

of course winning it clean is nice but for me as long as you don't lose clean you're okay

One question I have that no one seems to be able to answer is, how soon can I, as the center, begin to move for the puck? As soon as the ref makes motion of dropping the puck? Once it hits the ice?

Definitely not once it hits the ice. You "can" move the moment the ref begins his hand motion to drop the puck (watch his hand NOT the puck) but you "should" move slightly before that. That's the cheating part, and what could cause you to get tossed out if they end up not dropping it. But that's the gamble.

It's all about anticipation.

As far as my favorite move, when in our own end on the left side I'll often just whack it between the refs legs and over to the LW who was told ahead of time that it'd be coming his way. Gets us out of the zone almost every time.

In theory, you can move as soon as the referee releases the puck. In reality, start moving as soon as you see movement in the ref's hand. Most guys will lift the puck slightly, even if they don't realize it, before they put it down on the ice. Knowing what the other center is trying to do will also help you. More often than not, you should be able to read his stick position, his body language or that of his teammates. Most guys also don't like to change up their strategy over the course of a game and it can be worth letting them win faceoffs that don't matter to give them confidence that you can take advantage of later in the game. I'm RH and if I am taking a faceoff against another RH center, I can try to block his stick and then pull the puck on my backhand to my D. Against a LH shot, that isn't really possible. I have to try and beat him clean, with strength or use the strategy that OR talks about below.

As far as cheating, putting the stick closer to the center of the dot, having your feet closer or more off center, moving earlier, or any of a dozen other things would qualify.

As far as my favorite move, when in our own end on the left side I'll often just whack it between the refs legs and over to the LW who was told ahead of time that it'd be coming his way. Gets us out of the zone almost every time.

It's a very underrated move, especially on the PK, or when the defenseman on that side is a weaker skater and you can spring someone from your own end of the ice. I also like it any time the other team uses an alignment that doesn't have someone on the hash marks and I have a free play to one of my guys.

The moment the ref makes his move, make your move. It's so fast you can't be too early. Look at the ref's hand. I like to push my butt towards the other center to tie him or her up if it's not a clean win so I can fight for it. If I'm not having a good night on the defensive end I will just block the other center's stick so they won't have a clean win and I can fight for it to push back to my D. Also some nights you will just be off, it may be the way the Ref is dropping the puck or the other centers are just better. I talked to a few refs about this and the ones that also play say it's same for them. Keep it up and you will get better.

Also some nights you will just be off, it may be the way the Ref is dropping the puck or the other centers are just better. I talked to a few refs about this and the ones that also play say it's same for them. Keep it up and you will get better.

The guys that are slow on the drop kill me. There are a couple locally that are so damn slow that I can be through the drop zone twice before the puck hits the ice.

As the others have said watch the refs hand for the release, usually they have a tell or slight movement before dropping usually at the wrist or elbow. If you have the same refs consistently in your league try and remember which refs have particular tells. The method which frustrates me the most is one of our refs holds the puck under his palm using his thumb and pinky to grip and just releases the grip with the fingers, it's tricky to get a read on it.

As for the actual draw I like the overhand grip with the simple pull back to my defensemen. I also like to block the opposing center's stick first before pulling the puck back.

For me it depends on where you want to win the draw and what way your opponent shoots. If the other player shoots opposite the way you do it is quite easy to win the draw on your back hand. Try to lunge your stick forward to get under the opponents blade so you can lift it and pull back. This works well for the side of the ice that you shoot on and keeps the puck away from the front of the net in the d zone. Let's call this scenario samesies. I usually watch the refs hand during samesies but also try to watch what the opponent is doing so he can't tie me up. Second scenario is opposite. You are facing an opponent who shoots the same way as you. So your sticks are going opposite ways at the dot. This is much harder to win. You could try the backhand method but this could be dangerous in the d zone if you would be pulling towards your goal. Most times in this scenario I like to watch the player and not the ref. my whole goal with opposites is to mess up my opponents ability to win a clean draw. You can try to push their stick back by pushing forward on the middle of their blade. Or you can push your stick forward and get it between their legs and tie up their hands with your body. You will likely have to try all three methods depending on how they are working for ya. Just be careful about helping the puck move towards your goal. And also try not to let him win clean. If you can slow the draw down even a little it will give your winger time to get to the point. Sometimes, if you have quick feet, you can try a forehand scoop type move. Basically opposite to the backhand. But the secret is rotating your body by doing small c cuts with a wide base. It's tricky to learn. But one to get it you can win a forehand draw clean. Forehand scoop it is best to watch the refs hand. Just be sure that the puck hits the ice before you touch it. You can move as soon as the ref opens his hand or sometimes as soon as his hand moves down.

I'm a spinner. When the ref moves to drop the puck, I spin around and clear out the other center's stick with mine and use my back and skates to shield him from the puck.. Then I either kick or pass the puck to a teammate. I can spin either direction to change things up and keep the other center guessing.

Tons of strategies on how to win more then lose on FO's... they will very depending on your opponent and what direction you want to get the puck heading etc. I had the hardest time against good centers who wanted to tie me up. Some guy had the strength to tie up my stick and hand, drive into me and often use feet to win the puck. One thing you can do combat someone who you know is going to attempt tie you up is drive forward on them and make sure you are getting as low as possible.