Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Campoli

Am I Shooting Incorrectly?

Hey all, unique situation with my shooting. I have grown up and have always shot left handed. I can generate a good amount of power and it feels very natural. However, I feel more comfortable golfing right handed! I can golf left handed but it feels more natural shooting right. I know it's only a hand up in gripping the club from hockey stick so that's what's pretty odd I find.

Also, I never played baseball as a kid so never really learned how to bat correctly. Thus I used to hold the bat in a left grip but swing right lol. I have obviously since learned to bat correctly. Is this a unique situation?

Should I be playing right handed? Where should the dominant handed be located on the stick?

The "ideal" is dominant hand on top (for wrist movement). However, I'm right-handed and shoot right because it feels the most natural.

The "ideal" is dominant hand on top (for wrist movement). However, I'm right-handed and shoot right because it feels the most natural.

I think that it matters less for those that learn to play when they are older. The difference in strength and coordination tends to lessen as you age.

If you have been shooting lefty all your life it would probably be very difficult to switch. Nothing to do with your hands, but more so the muscle memory your body has developed. Strength in your shot primarily comes from weight transition.

Me - right handed - shoot right

Boy - left handed - shoots right

Daughter - right handed - shoots right

I kinda wonder if it's the sticks you first start with(broken sticks in the garage, become comfortable with ect)? That said....

This thread makes me think back to coaching my daughters mite team and a kid with a lefty stick. Parents(dad?) were convinced that he had to shoot left. Kid played half the time with his stick backassward. Could tell he felt more comfortable righty, but nope, they were having none of it, regardless of a polite conversation from the HC.

There have been a bunch of discussions on this topic. Whether your dominant hand is at the top or middle of the stick generally depends on when you first started that sport. The younger you started holding a stick/bat/golf club, the more likely that your dominant hand will be the one at the end of the stick/bat/golf club.