Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jamarquan

Need a new stick, what to do?

Hello everyone, 

I've been using two sticks since around April, the Warrior HD5 (55 flex, W03) and the CCM RibCor 26K (60 flex, P46). I've decided that the W03 has gone to PM9 Island (I hate it), and the P46 is just wacky and hard to shoot with. (shots are hitting off the toe twice). The sticks are also a few inches too long, coming up in between my nose and eyebrows on skates, but cutting them to come down to Junior size will already compound the problem of the flex being too high. The clear option is to move down to Junior, but what stick / curve should I buy?

For reference:

Budget: ~$50, less if I can get away with it. 

Playstyle: Entirely wrist shots, I can't remember the last time I took a slapshot in a game. I go near / behind the net a lot, so deflections, stick battles, etc.

Height / Weight: 5ft4in, ~120lbs (lighter flex is better)

Curve: Something in between the PM9 and the P46, but not the W03 / P92 / E3 type curve, which limits my options at this price point. 

44 minutes ago, Jamarquan said:

Hello everyone, 

I've been using two sticks since around April, the Warrior HD5 (55 flex, W03) and the CCM RibCor 26K (60 flex, P46). I've decided that the W03 has gone to PM9 Island (I hate it), and the P46 is just wacky and hard to shoot with. (shots are hitting off the toe twice). The sticks are also a few inches too long, coming up in between my nose and eyebrows on skates, but cutting them to come down to Junior size will already compound the problem of the flex being too high. The clear option is to move down to Junior, but what stick / curve should I buy?

For reference:

Playstyle: Entirely wrist shots, I can't remember the last time I took a slapshot in a game. I go near / behind the net a lot, so deflections, stick battles, etc.

Curve: Something in between the PM9 and the P46, but not the W03 / P92 / E3 type curve, which limits my options at this price point. 

Dude, you have had some crap luck with sticks! What about this... E36?

https://www.purehockey.com/easton-stealth-c5-5-grip-junior-hockey-stick-2015#product_tabs_additional_tabbed 

Next option... find a shaft / blade combo and try different curves until you find one that works?

2 hours ago, icewalker_bg said:

'' but not the W03 / P92 / E3 type curve, which limits my options at this price point.  ''

Not sure what do you mean by this, but the E3 would be your best bet. 

The E3 is the W03, and the W03 is the E3. By extention, no E3.

1 hour ago, tpedersen3118 said:

Dude, you have had some crap luck with sticks! What about this... E36?

https://www.purehockey.com/easton-stealth-c5-5-grip-junior-hockey-stick-2015#product_tabs_additional_tabbed 

Next option... find a shaft / blade combo and try different curves until you find one that works?

It's on sale from HockeyGiant, and with a clearance discount code comes out to $40. Or the C7.0 is $40 from Warehouse.

Also, how close are the P38 / P45 (CCM) to the PM9 (Bauer)?

Don't know where you're based, but if you're in Canada, check out Sport Chek. Right now they have the junior Warrior QR4 50flex on clearance for $45 in the W03 curve.

I have one but it was a little to short for me, (I'm 5'5) so when I added an inch to it, it became a hair too whippy for my taste, but it might work for you. But IMHO it's a good stick. Even now, I still take it to practice and shoot with it because I like the way the puck feels when it comes off the blade.

2 hours ago, icewalker_bg said:

Yes i know that, how does the most popular curve on the market limit your options? 

Because I find the curve unusable. Simple as that.

1 hour ago, puckpilot said:

Don't know where you're based, but if you're in Canada, check out Sport Chek. Right now they have the junior Warrior QR4 50flex on clearance for $45 in the W03 curve.

I have one but it was a little to short for me, (I'm 5'5) so when I added an inch to it, it became a hair too whippy for my taste, but it might work for you. But IMHO it's a good stick. Even now, I still take it to practice and shoot with it because I like the way the puck feels when it comes off the blade.

Again, no on the W03, and no, I'm not in Canada. Sorry.

5 minutes ago, icewalker_bg said:

I misunderstood your original post, I thought you cannot find the E3 in the budget you are looking. 

Nope, its almost too prevalent. 

Is the P38 the PM9, or something else?

8 minutes ago, icewalker_bg said:

Its the best curve out there after all :)

P38 is different, more curve. 

Alright. It's odd that CCM puts it as the counter to the Stamkos. 

I'm split between the RibCor 44K, Vapor X80 (which looks really good at 40 dollars and 25 percent off), the Stealth, C 7.0, and the Synergy 60. If you've tried any, how are they? Apparently Easton's build quality is awful, so there's that to consider.

P42 is stamkos. P38 is like a lighter Bauer P88 with a shorter blade. 

Whoever told you Easton stick built quality is awful, is probably wrong, I have not used Easton's low end sticks in many years, but their top of the line has always worked well for me. 

Reebok_blade_chart.png?v=1437579873

Ok, but I might pass on the RibCor anyways. My 26K is pretty meh, and I'd rather move up the price range. Speaking of, isn't the Vapor X80 very good? 

On the Easton thing, I remember seeing a post that Easton sticks have a problem with the fusion point. 

2 hours ago, Jamarquan said:

Because I find the curve unusable. Simple as that.

Again, no on the W03, and no, I'm not in Canada. Sorry.

Sorry man, I misunderstood your post too. I thought you were looking for a W03

6 hours ago, jazz4all said:

Maybe 2 piece is a good option since you can put different blade and length before going to ops.

Have you ever tried w88? 

A two piece isn't an awful idea - the MX3 Shaft is $55 in Junior - and I've tried the P88 a few years ago, so its similar.

1 hour ago, Jamarquan said:

A two piece isn't an awful idea - the MX3 Shaft is $55 in Junior - and I've tried the P88 a few years ago, so its similar.

If you tried an 88, then you probably won't want a P38 or P45. They are closely aligned to that curve. So, if the 88 didn't do it for you, neither will those two other options. This is a hard one. The W03/E3/P92 is really the next option, but that's out too.

10 minutes ago, vinprun71 said:

If you tried an 88, then you probably won't want a P38 or P45. They are closely aligned to that curve. So, if the 88 didn't do it for you, neither will those two other options. This is a hard one. The W03/E3/P92 is really the next option, but that's out too.

I tried the P88 in my first year of playing hockey, when I could barely shoot. If I take out the P88 style curve, that leaves my only option as the E28. I don't mind it.

14 hours ago, Jamarquan said:

It's on sale from HockeyGiant, and with a clearance discount code comes out to $40. Or the C7.0 is $40 from Warehouse.

Also, how close are the P38 / P45 (CCM) to the PM9 (Bauer)?

I'm not sure how the curves compare. There is a database on here with all of the various curves by manufacturer. Check that out. 

I've only played 4 curves over my many years of playing hockey... PP77 - Coffey, P91 (hated it), P88, and now the TC2-5.

Just now, tpedersen3118 said:

I'm not sure how the curves compare. There is a database on here with all of the various curves by manufacturer. Check that out. 

I've only played 4 curves over my many years of playing hockey... PP77 - Coffey, P91 (hated it), P88, and now the TC2-5.

Good point. I'd forgotten about the database.  

Damn. I've been through more curves than years I've played hockey.

On 10/26/2016 at 11:17 PM, Jamarquan said:

Alright. It's odd that CCM puts it as the counter to the Stamkos. 

I'm split between the RibCor 44K, Vapor X80 (which looks really good at 40 dollars and 25 percent off), the Stealth, C 7.0, and the Synergy 60. If you've tried any, how are they? Apparently Easton's build quality is awful, so there's that to consider.

I have been using Easton for a long time and the Synergy 60, 80 and recently the HTX have been a common purchase of mine. While I do like the sticks, They are on the lower side of durability it seems. The other thing I noticed with these is that if they do last a while, they are like a wet noodle once they are broken in. So like an 85 Flex will feel like 70 Flex the longer the stick lasts. The last one I bought was a 100 Flex HTX in hope of it breaking in to a more common "sweet spot" so to speak. If you can find  pattern you like in any of these sticks, it's probably worth checking them out considering the price points they are currently at. The last HTX I got was around $80.

In any case, I started buying CCM RBZ's since Easton is all but gone at this point. In my opinion RBZ is much more durable and generates a better shot for me. The Easton Synergy's had a much nicer puck feel though.

On October 26, 2016 at 5:58 PM, Jamarquan said:

Hello everyone, 

For reference:

I am 5'5 and close to 130lbs andhad the same problem as you. I have been chasing the right stick for 20 years, buy a good one. I have paid a lot for sticks I could not use. 

The huge problem is the need to purchase a stick that your weight and height  can flex, but all the manufactures flex #s are different even though they say they use X amount of weight over Y length to yield a flex. I have bought a Bauer Intermediate Total One a couple of years ago thinking a great tech stick at 60 flex will suit. I could bend it in the showroom once I cut off 5 or 6" it ended up, but once cut off it was a 75 flex or more, not to mention the Bauer flex was stiffer than most. I went to the intermediate from a Junior because I could not corral  a hard pass, the cheep junior stick I had did not have enough strength in the blade/heel area.

I jumped to the best jr Bauer - Nexus and realized that I had difficulty flexing even on the mat. At the rink I could get no flex in it at all. Then I bought a below $100 Graf jr and it had the right flex, but again I could not stop a hard pass, but it fit me in every other way. I was missing the material in the stick, a lot of good carbon fibre throughout the stick in particular in the blade area so I could take a pass instead of it seemingly pass right through my blade. I knew I needed a high end jr stick and had to pay the money for it.  In the LHS I tried the Warrior QL1 and the 2016 version GRL. I could flex the shaft like the Graf I had but I knew it had the carbon fibre to handle the passes. I just orders it from Source for Sports off the web for $219 Can and rec'd it today. Although I have not used it on the ice, where the stick is harder to flex due to the slippery ice, it is like my old Graf that I could flex and know I have one that now I can take a pass. 

You are going to have to pay more than $50 if you want to overcome the problems of your size just like me. I was always falling through the cracks, nothing woul fit. I know you want a nice light stick, durable and the flex you need. I bought a 40 flex (same as the Graf) and it feels fantastic shouting in the basement tonight. I bought the Yakupov model and love it. 

BTY, I did buy a much cheaper Warrior last year at 40 flex which was ok but the stick could not take a hard pass and the reason, based on a lot of discussions with hockey people about the better quality sticks with higher carbon fibre content, I did get the top of the line jr Warrior. I can't wait to play this Tuesday!

Alan

On 10/28/2016 at 8:57 PM, smu said:

I am 5'5 and close to 130lbs andhad the same problem as you. I have been chasing the right stick for 20 years, buy a good one. I have paid a lot for sticks I could not use. 

The huge problem is the need to purchase a stick that your weight and height  can flex, but all the manufactures flex #s are different even though they say they use X amount of weight over Y length to yield a flex. I have bought a Bauer Intermediate Total One a couple of years ago thinking a great tech stick at 60 flex will suit. I could bend it in the showroom once I cut off 5 or 6" it ended up, but once cut off it was a 75 flex or more, not to mention the Bauer flex was stiffer than most. I went to the intermediate from a Junior because I could not corral  a hard pass, the cheep junior stick I had did not have enough strength in the blade/heel area.

I jumped to the best jr Bauer - Nexus and realized that I had difficulty flexing even on the mat. At the rink I could get no flex in it at all. Then I bought a below $100 Graf jr and it had the right flex, but again I could not stop a hard pass, but it fit me in every other way. I was missing the material in the stick, a lot of good carbon fibre throughout the stick in particular in the blade area so I could take a pass instead of it seemingly pass right through my blade. I knew I needed a high end jr stick and had to pay the money for it.  In the LHS I tried the Warrior QL1 and the 2016 version GRL. I could flex the shaft like the Graf I had but I knew it had the carbon fibre to handle the passes. I just orders it from Source for Sports off the web for $219 Can and rec'd it today. Although I have not used it on the ice, where the stick is harder to flex due to the slippery ice, it is like my old Graf that I could flex and know I have one that now I can take a pass. 

You are going to have to pay more than $50 if you want to overcome the problems of your size just like me. I was always falling through the cracks, nothing woul fit. I know you want a nice light stick, durable and the flex you need. I bought a 40 flex (same as the Graf) and it feels fantastic shouting in the basement tonight. I bought the Yakupov model and love it. 

BTY, I did buy a much cheaper Warrior last year at 40 flex which was ok but the stick could not take a hard pass and the reason, based on a lot of discussions with hockey people about the better quality sticks with higher carbon fibre content, I did get the top of the line jr Warrior. I can't wait to play this Tuesday!

Alan

While I would love a QRL, based on your post I assume you are an adult with a job. I am not either. Fifty dollars really is my ceiling on this, which was the point of going to MSH to see where the best deal could be found. Thank you for the advice.

Hockey Monkey has a Warrior QR4 on sale for $44.98 in the Lupul curve, which I believe is equal to the PM9. It's not the QRL but not a bad second choice IMHO.

http://www.hockeymonkey.com/equipment/hockey-sticks-shafts-blades/sticks-all-composite/hockey-sticks-junior/warrior-hockey-stick-qr4-gr-jr.html

There are lots of other sticks on sale on this site for your price range.