Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Stewie

Lizard Skin Grip

I tried them a couple times... not too bad but a little too thick for my tastes and also seemed to start to break down after 3-4 uses.

I saw them at some hockey shops and I wasn't going to try it at the price range it was at -- especially when tennis grips are half the price for 3 pcs instead of 1.

Got a couple as samples and have been using them for the past ~month and a half. They feel really nice in hand, great grip, noticeably thicker at first, but I personally haven't had an issue since getting used to them. Love the long term grip they provide, as opposed to the grip tape that tends to just get sticky over time. Probably a little on the expensive end, but they seem to be decent quality. Haven't had one wear through yet, but the darker colors do seem to bleed slightly onto palms. 

We just got them for stock at the shop I work at. I tried it out and personally I cannot feel a difference between Lizard Skins and tradition cloth tape (feel wise in glove) I also used one roll for around 6 practice and games and it didn't wear much at all. Granted I don't stickhandle much while I play but so far Lizard Skins are amazing and I will continue to use it.

I don't know how you don't notice a difference. I was worried that the Lizard Skins grip would be a bit too thick too, but it wasn't. I love the feel. It only took me a few minutes to get used to and now I don't think I will ever go back to cloth tape. I feel like I have better control and better energy transfer on my shots, especially one timers. I came from using cloth tape, then sponge mesh grip tape over cloth tape. The durability of the Lizard Skins could be better. I'm at about 30 ice times on mine and it's showing some significant wear, but I will probably get 40-50 sessions out of a grip. I figure that is a reasonable value. Happy customer here. 

I went by No-Icing Sports in New Hampshire (the store that does sharpening by mail for a lot of us) and they prominently displayed Lizard Skins.  They had a wood handle wrapped in a yellow Lizard Skin to show people what it looked like.  I talked to the woman working there and she said that the Lizard Skins have been a very popular selling item for them.  I just put a Lizard Skin on one of my sticks.  Haven't had a chance to use it on the ice yet.  I like how the Lizard Skin is easy to apply (just like you normally tape a handle) and it is customizable.  I used to use Tacki-Macs but gave up on them because they were a pain to install and even more annoying to take off.    

they are pretty expensive compared to cloth tape. cheaper than butt-endz, comparable to tackimacs. 

They're thinner than butt-endz and tackimacs, so for those like me who don't enjoy the glue from cloth and grip tapes rubbing off onto your gloves this is a nice inbetween. 

i've found that one application lasts half a season to a full season. it seams to be more adversely affected by hot weather drying it out. 

20 hours ago, innotastic said:

they are pretty expensive compared to cloth tape. cheaper than butt-endz, comparable to tackimacs. 

They're thinner than butt-endz and tackimacs, so for those like me who don't enjoy the glue from cloth and grip tapes rubbing off onto your gloves this is a nice inbetween. 

i've found that one application lasts half a season to a full season. it seams to be more adversely affected by hot weather drying it out. 

I disagree on thickness. ButtEndz is the thinnest, then Tacki and then Lizard. Lizard is a bit more cushioned than the other two as well.

11 hours ago, Hills said:

I disagree on thickness. ButtEndz is the thinnest, then Tacki and then Lizard. Lizard is a bit more cushioned than the other two as well.

I'm not sure where you get that, but lizard skin is definitely the thinnest of the 3. it's 0.5 mm single layered, buttendz is 1mm (1.5mm on lacrosse grips?). I can see if you're really layering up the lizard skin it would be thicker. 

9 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

I still like grip tape. Not sure what you’re talking about with regards to glue since there is none.

sorry I lumped cloth and grip together as they are um, for lack of a better word, similar technology. full disclosure I also used to use grip tape and really miss how thin it is, but didn't like how it tore up my palms. these rubber grips seem to be palm-friendlier. 

Lizard might be 0.5 mm, but it is softer and feels thicker, plus it has to wrap over itself and even if you do that for just the edges you can feel it.

I thought Lizard was thicker, which you have shown me that I was wrong, but from my experience Lizard feels thicker in your hands.

I always had cloth tape under my grip tape so when I picked up Lizard Skins it felt about the same in thickness. It lasts a lot longer too if you put it on well and don't let it sit in your car on a hot day to then take it in to the rink and let it get cold. It is definitely all a personal preference and some customers love it, some hate it