Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ry13

Shin pads over tongue of skate?

Just a Queastion

who likes to put there shin pad over the tongue of thier skate

if u do please say why you do this and why u think it is better than just keeping the tongue in front on the shin pad

Placing my shin pads over the tongues of my skates offers a bit more flexibility and gives me a little more freedom throughout my stride.

I'm also a fan of placing shin pads over the tongues. Like mack, comfort is my motivation, though I admit that people who wear them like Pronger make for an interesting look as well.

I wear it over the tongue because my shin pad digs into the front of my leg if I leave it inside. I'm a fan of wearing the sock down over the tendon guard as well, just pull it down over. I made 2 cuts on the bottom part of the sock so that it stretches down over the boot a bit easier and when I learn forward during skating the sock acts much like tape would. I tape the shin just above the tendon guard/tongue so that the shin doesn't move and the sock doesn't slide around too much.

I don't know if my explanation makes sense, almost need pictures.

I wear them over my tongue. I think it makes for a snugger fitting skate as well as more protection on your upper ankle.

ive tried both and i thought that tongues out gave me more flexibility, but very little protection. I recently switched back to the shin pad over the tongue just cause my ankles were starting to kill me due to all the pucks i took there :P

i put it over the tongue. for one it distributes the pressure that the bottom of the shinguard puts on my shin. 2nd when i used to put it under the tongue it caused slight tears in the tongue from pushing it foward. 3rd having the tongue stick out due to the shin being inside can get in the way when doing crossovers.

Outside. At first it was for protection of my ankles. I use to love the 'in the skate' look of my shins ala russ courtnall style but switched when i was in bantam(14-15). Couldn't go back if i tried, too uncomfortable. Plus i use longer shins now. Also, i have a single cut in my sock at the very back so that the tendon guard sticks out alone while the sock goes farther down the shin and skate whilst flapping at the side. :P

i keep my shin guards behind the tongue, always have. i do pull my socks around the top of my skates though, and i don't know why.

I wear mine over the top of my tongue for a bit of extra protection. For me to wear my tongue's out I would have to get a pair of leg pads that are an inch shorter than I currently wear.

Although I do think wearing tongues out looks better.

I wear mine over the tounges of my skates. I used to wear them inside with my 7000s, but switched to outside when I got my one90s. Something about the one90 tounge made wearing them inside uncomfortable. It would push my shin guards up.

Started wearing my shins over my skate tongues about three years ago. I like is much better than wearing them under. Used to find the bottom of the shins would begin to dig into the top of my ankle area after about a half hour of playing. Only difference is I found my ankles had a little more mobility with the shins under the tongue but it's not really a big performance issue.

i wear my shin guards over my tongue because, like alot of people said the comfort and also since i am a defensemen i block a lot of shots and it doesn't hurt as much when the puck hits the shin pad first instead of the tongue and then shin pad.

I've tried both and much prefer having them outside my skate over the tongue. Apart from the fact i find it more comfortable, the main reason is like someone else said earlier, that it allows a much more snug fitting skate. Just feels better having the tight fitting skate. All personal preference I suppose.

I wear my shinpads over my tongues. I started that when I moved to defense in high school. I am 5'11" and I wear 16" pads so I really don't have much choice (and no I don't have any problems with flexibility since I don't tighten the top of my skates very tight.).

Shin pads over the top. Better fit, bottom of the shin pad doesn't hang up on the tounge. I do think it is PP and depends on the skate and the shin pad.

Smaller tounges seem to work best under shins IMO.

Always worn my shins over the tongues with my socks ending just at the bottom of my shinguard and tucked inside the tendon guard. Recently switched from Bauer's to Graf's and tried the folded over tongue since it felt kind of funny tucked under my shinguard at first due to its length. The folded over tongue felt sloppy so I put my tongues back under and have just gotten used to the different feel; it's fine now.

I put my shinpads over the tongue of my skate too. It's way more comfortable for me. My socks were kinda big too, so that way there's more stuff under. I think my main reason is a bit about Ankle support too. I wear CCM 3.0 skates.

In the 1st link, it's how I put them under my shin pads. My ankles don't tend to flop around as much as when I have my skate tongue free.

http://www.icewarehouse.com/descpage.html?pcode=SKV3

To add to that, I wrap my ankles with hockey tape a few times after that.