Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

fedorov#91

The Smartphone Thread

Well. I love the droid x. Playing with it for a few hours. Love it. But i do have a problem. Immediately i noticed a dead pixel. Kinda sux. Called verizon and explained. Im not upset about it, its just a small dot. They are sending me a new one, and a accessory discount. Even still,im very. Impressed with this phone

Well. I love the droid x. Playing with it for a few hours. Love it. But i do have a problem. Immediately i noticed a dead pixel. Kinda sux. Called verizon and explained. Im not upset about it, its just a small dot. They are sending me a new one, and a accessory discount. Even still,im very. Impressed with this phone

I know the DX comes with Swype already installed, but I assume the original QWERTY keyboard is still there?

^^ yes, it is set up as a standard virtual qwerty keyboard as default. Swype must be manually enabled. Both seem much better than standard iphone keyboards, id say a lot due to size of the screen. But swype is really neat.

^^ yes, it is set up as a standard virtual qwerty keyboard as default. Swype must be manually enabled. Both seem much better than standard iphone keyboards, id say a lot due to size of the screen. But swype is really neat.

Thanks, Race. Yeah I was running the Swype Beta on my Droid 1 before, but went back to the stock keyboard after a week or so. I was just too used to using the stock QWERTY. One thing about the Droid X that did it for me is the size of the screen. Don't think I'll have much trouble typing on it. I got really good with the Droid 1 on-screen keyboard, but I was loyal to the Droid 1 before because of the physical keyboard.

Thanks, Race. Yeah I was running the Swype Beta on my Droid 1 before, but went back to the stock keyboard after a week or so. I was just too used to using the stock QWERTY. One thing about the Droid X that did it for me is the size of the screen. Don't think I'll have much trouble typing on it. I got really good with the Droid 1 on-screen keyboard, but I was loyal to the Droid 1 before because of the physical keyboard.

I will say, the screen is way more responsive than the iphone in regards to keyboards. Its caused a few mistypes, but i definitely prefer it.

What BB are you using? I Was using a curve for almost three years when I moved to a Droid. It took about a week but eventually I got just as fast as my BB.

I've been using the BB tour, the Curve buttons were too small for my big paws.

I've heard about Swype on the DX, but I have no idea what it is or how its supposed to work. Also, if I want to try it, does anyone know how to enable it?

I've been using the BB tour, the Curve buttons were too small for my big paws.

I've heard about Swype on the DX, but I have no idea what it is or how its supposed to work. Also, if I want to try it, does anyone know how to enable it?

If it's anything like the Droid 1, which I would imagine it is, you go to settings > language and keyboard > Swype should be under Text Settings.

Race - I have mistypes on my Droid 1 as well, but Android is pretty good at recognizing them and autocorrecting them for me.

new droid looks sweet. Can't wait to see what's available when my two year contract is renewed.

Agreed. If the Droid Pro specs (and other speculated models) end up coming to life, watch out. Seems they will be making a major push once 4G and the new android OS (3.0) rolls out. Glad i was informed today i can upgrade after 12 months....

Agreed. If the Droid Pro specs (and other speculated models) end up coming to life, watch out. Seems they will be making a major push once 4G and the new android OS (3.0) rolls out. Glad i was informed today i can upgrade after 12 months....

we have one line that can be upgrade every year but my dad wants a droid after finally admitting that he hates the palm os

Just got back from the Verizon store. Went to test out the Droid X, and I'm in love. Thing is unbelievably fast This makes me alright with divorcing my original Droid. You were great for the first eight and a half months, but, I'm sorry, there's someone else. :blush:

I will say, the screen is way more responsive than the iphone in regards to keyboards. Its caused a few mistypes, but i definitely prefer it.

WOW, that is quite a statement, considering how bad previous android phones/motorola phones have been. I;m gonna have to test that statement out...

WOW, that is quite a statement, considering how bad previous android phones/motorola phones have been. I;m gonna have to test that statement out...

I can't say much on the DX yet, as I only messed around with it for about fifteen minutes. But, the keys are HUGE on the phone, thanks to the huge screen. There's a lot more space in between each key as well, compared to other Android devices. I made one error in about 12-13 sentences I typed out, in portrait and landscape mode. I never was one for the iPhone/iPod Touch keyboard.

I enabled Swype and I'm absolutely loving it. I'm still pausing between each word though because I'm not 100% used to it, but it'll probably solve my typing issues.

That being said, my only complaint so far is that I can only seem to get about 8 hours on a battery charge, even without use. I had it 100% charged when I went to bed last night and when I woke up it was almost dead. I don't know if thats truly an issue or I just somehow got a bad battery, I'm gonna head over to the Verizon store today and ask.

10 hours since my last charge. Sitting at 60% battery . Lots of twitter, internet, 10 minutes of talk time. Using mostly 3g. Some wifi. After about 4 -5 cycles battery should improve.

If it's anything like the Droid 1, which I would imagine it is, you go to settings > language and keyboard > Swype should be under Text Settings.

Race - I have mistypes on my Droid 1 as well, but Android is pretty good at recognizing them and autocorrecting them for me.

A quicker and easier way of switching keyboards: When you have to type pretty much anything in, there's that little bar you press to bring up the keys, press and hold that bar. There will be an option called imput method. Click that and you can toggle through which keyboard you want to use if you have more than one. Personally, I use Swiftkey on my Droid1. It learns what words you use pretty quick and can guess many of your sentences.

I enabled Swype and I'm absolutely loving it. I'm still pausing between each word though because I'm not 100% used to it, but it'll probably solve my typing issues.

That being said, my only complaint so far is that I can only seem to get about 8 hours on a battery charge, even without use. I had it 100% charged when I went to bed last night and when I woke up it was almost dead. I don't know if thats truly an issue or I just somehow got a bad battery, I'm gonna head over to the Verizon store today and ask.

Not sure if this is a root only app, but try to download SetCPU. This lets you play with how fast or slow you want your phone to be running.

10 hours since my last charge. Sitting at 60% battery . Lots of twitter, internet, 10 minutes of talk time. Using mostly 3g. Some wifi. After about 4 -5 cycles battery should improve.

Another tip, and this is for any phone really, is to fully charge the phone, and let it fully die, and then charge it, repeating that for a couple of days.

Another tip, and this is for any phone really, is to fully charge the phone, and let it fully die, and then charge it, repeating that for a couple of days.

I went to Verizon, they swapped the battery, hopefully that'll take care of the issue.

Sold my two year old iphone 3g today for 200 bucks. Offset the cost of my droid x. My replace ment X comes in thursday. Good week for me so far. Craigslist seems to have a good market for phones...

For anyone with Droid X's or who were interested in getting one, as of today, it's been rooted. So much for being a closed phone.

Um, root wasn't the problem. EVERY phone has to be able to be rooted.

Loading ROMs is the problem.

I know that. But, getting rooted is the start. People are working on the ROMs now, as far as I know they'll be coming soon...seems a lot more optimistic than the Incredible.

I know that. But, getting rooted is the start. People are working on the ROMs now, as far as I know they'll be coming soon...seems a lot more optimistic than the Incredible.

Getting super user was definitely a problem on the DroidX/milestone. Custom ROMs will be on the way now. Like Ebondo said Root was the start. Can't wait to see what the X can do with some of Jrummy's (my personal favorite dev) , Cyanogen's, or Team Chaos' ROMs.

Got my replacement X today. Immediately noticed several specs of dust under the glass, trapped. Dang. Also the power button was barely useable. Im not really upset, just hoping that i can get one at a corporate store tomorrow, or soon. I really love the X from what i have done with it, just hoping to get a good one for keeps so i can actually personalize/customize one. Just some bad luck in this aspect i guess...