Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

fedorov#91

The Smartphone Thread

Blackberry died and there's no waiting for new iPhone.

Need suggestions today on Verizon network.

Motorola Droid Razr Maxx - I don't have this phone, but my sister and Dad do and are very happy with it (or maybe its the previous Droid Razr, but this is a slighty thicker version with improved battery life). I've also played around with it and it's definitely faster and more responsive than my lower end Samsung Gio.

Here's one review: http://www.engadget....zr-maxx-review/

You could also just grab the original Motorola Droid Razr if you don't want to pay the premium for the extended battery life.

Blackberry died and there's no waiting for new iPhone.

Need suggestions today on Verizon network.

iPhone 4S just like we discussed!!! I love mine!!!

Like JR, I keep my 4S entirely nude. Took a spill on the garage floor and shattered the screen, everyone with an iPhone should get AppleCare+ and utilize iCloud. Made life at the Apple Store very easy.

I've been happy with my Droid X, and haven't been interested in looking at newer stuff yet. Big screen for older eyes.

Well, Verizon announce new Shared Everything plans. If you're a family with several smartphones, this can really save you money. If you have a single line account, this screws you over. Here's a q&a: http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/story/2012-06-12/verizon-questions-an

Biggest issue for me is I really want the Droid Razr HD, but with no official release date i'd likely have to pay the $600+ to keep my unlimited after the June 28 date for the new plans. I could get a phone now and keep it though. Or get a phone and sell it in place of the RazrHD. Looks like the Samsung Galaxy S3 is the clear winner right now. You can preorder for July delivery AND keep unlimited data plan.

Link to Verizon for full info on new plans: http://solutions.vzwshop.com/shareeverything/

My Note 2 is the best phone i have ever owned. Used many other phones in the past but really happy with the Note 2. Great screen, camera, super fast, and the pen is useful on occassions. Anyone seen the new Galaxy Mega? Even bigger screen than the Note 2. Size wise, i dont think i can go any bigger as the Note 2 fits in my pocket well but any bigger it will be uncomfortable.

Recently purchased the HTC one. Tried out the s4 and some others but they all felt like toys compared to the HTC one. Real great phone and a huge upgrade to my droid incredible 1qt gen

Never thought I'd do it, but I'm a Blackberry guy now. At least for a little while. I had a Samsung Galaxy S (1st Gen)...I love the phone...love Android!!! But, it's been running slow and acting up for a while now. I still owe $200 to close out the phone to get a new one, then still have to buy the new phone. My buddy has a cousin who works for RIM, got me a Z10 for $99.

Gotta go get a SIM card tomorrow and activate it.

I figure the difference of 3G ti LTE should be pretty awesome

Never thought I'd do it, but I'm a Blackberry guy now. At least for a little while. I had a Samsung Galaxy S (1st Gen)...I love the phone...love Android!!! But, it's been running slow and acting up for a while now. I still owe $200 to close out the phone to get a new one, then still have to buy the new phone. My buddy has a cousin who works for RIM, got me a Z10 for $99.

Gotta go get a SIM card tomorrow and activate it.

I figure the difference of 3G ti LTE should be pretty awesome

Damn I'm jealous let us know how you like the z10 I've been wanting one.

So far I like it. Way faster than my old phone (3G to 4GLTE, as expected). A bit of a learnign curve, having never used a BB before.

I did have to change my plan....I was paying just over $58.00 (all in before) for 10 #'s Unlimited Calling (LD included) Unltd Text/msg and 1G data...free evening/weekends

New plan is $85 (plus tax) for Unltd Nationwide calling/text/msg. and 2G data.

My Bell employee discount will get that number back down to what I was paying before...so all in all...I guess I'm sorta even. Once they went to 2 year plans here instaed of 3...you knew Plan/package prices were going up to offset the phones being turned over more often.

Never tried Rooting/unloocking a phone at home..now I know why it's not a good idea.

I was going to try to root/unlock my old phone (Samsung Galaxy S Vibrant i9000M) for my GF's daughter.
So...I downloaded Odin and ran the instructions as I found them on another site. They supplied the link to a *.tar file that would root the phone. After I ran that, the phone would power on...but not pass the Splash screen. When it boots the i9000M turns to i9000 and the lights on the front of the phone flash..and it stays on that screen.
I downloaded Odin 1.85, a new tar (CF-Root-XX_XEU_JPY-v1.3-BusyBox-1.17.1) and pit (s1_odin_20100512) files. I've run all of those...and now the phone will not power at all. If I run into Download mode...it works.
Thoughts?
Is this phone able to be saved...or should I just take it with me to hockey tonight and practice shooting with it.
[EDIT] After numerous additional attempts, I did get it to work. But....she has phone/msg access...but no internet (other than via wifi), Wondering if this is b/c her old phone was a BB and this is an Android. Might need a new SIM from Rogers.
[EDIT2]: I found a link to manually set the APN...so she has full access now.
So the NEXT plan is to upgrade the firmware. But, do I look for ROM's for an i9000M phone or once it's unlocked does it act like a regular i9000?
[FINAL EDIT] (KInda feels like I'm talking to myself): Confirmed that Yes, it will take i9000 firmware. Flashed it to Gingerbread 2.3.6 and the kid couldn't be happier. She can play Angry Birds Star Wars now. She called me a genius...her Mom just called me a geek. Gotta love 'em!