Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sk8

Does anyone remember those plastic hockey skates with the removable boot

Wow this thread takes me back. My first pair of skates was a set of those bauer turbo's with the spongy insert. Awesome skates.

The funny thing is a few years later my buddy took me with him to an NHL practice (his dad was an asst. coach) and while his dad was lacing up our skates I noticed he had the same kind, though I think they were the Microns...pretty funny.

I had a pair for pond hockey I used probably 8 years ago. .. but thanks to the global warming, ponds don't freeze much in southern illinois anymore.

I feel your pain, man. Last time I was back home, I had to take my little niece to a frozen drainage ditch about 10' by 15' because it was the only water in town that was frozen enough to skate on. Her mom took her to St Louis this year to a rink, I hope she gets to skate more than once a year...

My first skates were a Tour thing with those big plastic hinged boots and a padded removable liner. You could remove the blade holder and attach an inline chassis. I don't remember what model they were, I just remember that they were too big, they weighed about 2 tons and I used to set up a plywood ramp in the garage and jump off of it with the roller chassis installed. I'd say this was probably 1990-1991.

I was cleaning my basement the other day and i found a set of Mircos. I remember I had another pair and they had been sitting in the garage for years and I decided to go skate on them and the first step I took on the ice, the entire bottom of the boot cracked and i feel right on my ass.

Those where the days, a pair of new skates for under forty bucks. And they lasted a long time. Great memories.

Can anyone help me jog my memory? In the early 80's I had a pair of plastic Bauer skates. They were not Turbos. I got them after my Turbos. THey were like a high level turbo & had a plastic cover that went over the laces. They had white Tuuk's. Only around a few seasons then disappeared never to be seen again. Anyone got any ideas?

I remember telling my parents I had to have a pair of Bauer Turbos. I didn't know anything about hockey equipment never mind hockey skates. A buddy told me they were padded because of the plastic boot. Ahh good times.....

Here's an update to this thread that I thought might be of interest:

I recently completed a 6-month long, beginning adult league season on a pair of 20-year old plastic Micron skates. It had almost been that long since I last used them! In the past year, I was on the ice three times a week both playing and practicing, yet I felt I wasn't progressing well enough with my skating. I suspected my Microns were not optimal, but refused to succumb to the hype about modern technology and the occasional odd looks and comments. If these skates were good enough for 1980's era NHL players, they had to be good enough for me. One thing I noticed, however, was the tighter I laced them, the better I skated. The fact that I needed vice-like support to execute sharp turns and hold an outside edge made me wonder if I was getting enough ankle support. I am a tall, thin, lightweight player, built more like a marathon runner than a linebacker.

My curiosity overwhelmed me. I visited the LHS and ponied up $25 to spend an afternoon trying on an assortment of their latest inventory. I was so stunned at the different feel that I bought a pair of brand new Easton Stealths on the spot (fitting fee refunded). I have no particular allegiance to the Easton brand, other than they fit me the best.

No, these skates did not magically transform me into an overnight hockey sensation. But there has a been a distinct, demonstrable improvement in many areas of my skating...some things noticed immediately during the break-in period and others as I became acclimated. They are rock solid. The enhanced support lets me skate faster. I feel completely stable on deep outside edges -- never sensed that before. Hockey stops are almost effortless now, when previously I had to concentrate and execute the move precisely and often messed it up.

Placebo effect? All in my head? I don't deny that some of what I'm experiencing is psychological, but that may be from the added confidence the stability provides. Maybe it's because the new skates simply fit better. Whatever the reason(s), I'm glad I made the move to upgrade. If there are any of you die-hard retro players out there wondering if your skates are holding you back, at least visit the LHS and try on the new technology. You just might like it!

The 1991 Micron line-up featured Pro Quadraflex(worn by Kevin Lowe), Quadraflex, Pro Laser, Laser, M-1 Goaler, and the Youth skate known as the Lil' Devil.

As soon as the ponds froze, it was impossible to keep these skates in stock.

I wore Quadraflexes in high school (86 or 87). First skates I owned with white tuuks. Always liked those skates.

There was a Micron Medalic....or something like that. It was a plastic boot, but didn't have the removable liner.

Another brand was called "Switch-It". Company was founded by the inventor of inline skates/Rollerblades Scott Olson. I used to work for him back in the early 90s at Rollerblade and then Switch-It after Rollerblade Inc was bought out by Nagle and production was moved from MN to France.

Another brand was called "Switch-It". Company was founded by the inventor of inline skates/Rollerblades Scott Olson. I used to work for him back in the early 90s at Rollerblade and then Switch-It after Rollerblade Inc was bought out by Nagle and production was moved from Minneapolis to France.

Another brand was called "Switch-It". Company was founded by the inventor of inline skates/Rollerblades Scott Olson. I used to work for him back in the early 90s at Rollerblade and then Switch-It after Rollerblade Inc was bought out by Nagle and production was moved from Minneapolis to France.

What's up fellas? I was lurking here just to figure out what skates to get after 20+ years off...and joined this place mainly to respond to one post that cracked me up and now I can't find it: someone went off on how much he hates even being on the same ice with a teammate in "those ugly f***ing skates," referring to the only skates I ever wore (1975-1991). By the time I hung 'em up, I'd been through about 4 sets of TUUKS, starting with the very first generations to replace the original all-steels when they wore out.

JR, thanks for all the insightful info. Figured all you guys would find this interesting...also interested in your predictions on an upcoming experiment.

The last time I played was in 91 and except for one public skating session in 1995 (where my old Laser 5s finally crapped out irreparably) and a few dozen times on in-lines in 1998, haven't skated once since then. I never skated in leather in my life and would never have been able to, having learned to skate in Langes at 13. Just found out a new rink opened up near me and I used to like doing the skills-clinic-instructor thing (adult novices in the old NNHA-Hockey America), so I started thinking about it. Found these nearly new Lange Comps on ebay and sent 'em off to Blade-Tek in Manitoba to put on blades made since the last Ice Age and profile 'em. (Tried to post the pic but the function doesn't seem to work...or I can't figure it out).

Esposito's in the last model they made, there: Laser 5's...and the last time I was looking to buy a new pair, the just-retired Ron Greschner and I were competing to find the last available Size 9's in the NY Metro area...about 3 different places told me he already bought out their stock.

So the guy at Blade-Tek asks me why bother with these old relics because modern skates are to those things as cell phones are to rotary phones. While I'm waiting for my museum pieces to come back, I start researching online to figure out what else I might be able to skate in. Decide (largely based on reviews here...thank you), to try either NXGs or APX 2s, mainly because I figure the stiffer the better given what I'm used to. Order one of each on ebay figuring I'll compare 'em at home and send back one pair. They come yesterday. Since this place seems to have rules about language, I can't use the exact metaphor for what I expect it to feel like I'm slipping my foot into, given the all the comments about how amazingly comfortable these new top-of-the-line skates are, but you can figure it out...and it's not a dog. Fitting a new brand online was a calculated risk, but my 11 shoe-size fits perfectly into Bauer 9.5s. So far, so good.

Leme tell you something: comfort-wise outta the box these $650 and $800 TOTL skates got nuthin' on the old Langes. I can see how they're definitely infinitely more comfortable than old leather skates, but not even close to Langes outta the box...or outta ebay. The APX 2s are a lot less comfortable (for me) and after a little playing around with lacing and taping, the NXGs feel pretty close to my old Langes mechanically. What's up with these tongue inserts? I watched the videos and read the materials, but to me, even the softest ones restrict ankle flex too much, so I pull 'em out entirely and even without any, the lace bite on these is really no big deal at all. No doubt, the new materials are much more advanced in that they can flex in specific areas and directions without needing a hinge, but since putting on NXGs, I'm actually more impressed with how well-engineered these old Langes actually were.

So here's my prediction and curious what you guys (especially you, JR) predict: I'm gonna get these NXGs profiled and then take them with the old Langes (and new TUUKS) to the rink. I'm predicting that I feel "OK" in the old Langes...and either exactly the same or slightly worse in these insanely expensive new NXGs...and they'll be up on ebay as "nearly new, profiled, un-baked NXGs" and I'll take about a $200 loss on the experiment. (Of course, if I'm wrong and they really make a difference on the ice, I'll keep 'em and bake 'em up.)

Any predictions?

Tony Hand, player coach of the Manchester Phoenix in England still wears Bauer Turbos.

117335009-M.jpg

thand.jpg

They are either a really durable boot (doubtful) or Mr Hand has a huge stock pile of them at his home in Scotland.

Old post but, Bauer Turbos are practically indestructible, as long as they don't succumb to age-related brittleness, which can happen to some plastics. The ones my neighbor Ross skated on for about a dozen years looked like they'd been through a war, but they were still structurally fine. However, there is no way to replace their blades, so that would limit their lifespan if you were sharpening them often.

My friend Ian bought a pair of them in the winter of '95/'96 (which was one of the last few years that they made them), because he wanted to learn to skate, but he only skated on them maybe a dozen times that one winter here in Maine, and he moved to Omaha, Nebraska that spring. They stayed in a box for nearly 20 years until recently when he decided to go skating. One of them shattered on him not long after he got onto the ice, for no apparent reason. The plastic had obviously gotten brittle over the years. I don't know if that is destined to happen to all of them, or if some of them were made with particularly unstable plastic.

I had 2 pairs of them when I was a kid, first was size 7 when I was 12 (1987), and then size 9 a couple of years later when I outgrew them. They were the skates to have at my local rink back then; I had them, Ross had them, Ross' older brother Jeff had them, my older brother had them, Mike Halle had them, some kid my age from the next town over had them, and so on, and we were all good skaters, Ross and Mike Halle being the best at the time.

I became disillusioned when my friend Tom, who was a beginner, asked for Bauer Turbos for Christmas '88, and his mother bought him Bauer Supremes instead. He brought them to my house to show them off, and I tried one on, and it felt amazing the way the padding conformed around the ankles and locked your heel in place. I had to have something like that too, so my next pair of skates were CCM Tacks. I couldn't go back to Bauer Turbos now, well, I suppose I could, but I wouldn't like it.

I miss those days at the rink during the late '80s though. It used to be a popular place back then, both for public skating and informal hockey, but now hardly anyone goes, and the town doesn't bother to even make ice and/or clear snow off the ice half the time these days.

As a kid, I would never have 'new equipment'. My whole family played hockey so as the older cousins grew out of equipment is was passed down the ages. There is a huge 'equipment' craze with the game now...especially for the younger kids. When I played hockey when I was 5-14 I never had new equipment...I always wore whatever was given to me. We played because we loved to play. No one in the locker room made fun of each other for our old beaten up gear.

Don't get me wrong...I'm an adult and I love to stay current with the equipment as much as I can. I have all new equipment this year - but once I find things that are comfortable and work I tend not to replace them for a 'while'.

I put the original plastic hockey boots like the Turbos in the same class as the first White Tuuks and clear ones- quality suspect at best. Fun to look at for nostalgia sake. I know the Micron were good boots.

I did see this kid with a pair of Langes with Blue Perfekta blade holders a few weeks back. He must have borrowed them from his girl friend's dad, as his gf had a pair of just dusted off Easton skates that were white and silver. Neither of them could skate.

I wore a pair of Microns as recently as 2008. I had a neighbour who did skate sharpenings tell me to heat mold them. I figured they weren't worth anything so I softened them up in a skate oven and baked them like you would a newer skate. They molded so perfectly but I would imagine I destroyed the plastic. I only wore them once after so I can't comment on durability but it was fun to try. My neighbour swears that a lot of older guys do it and love it.

I recently reffed a private game where some rich dude rented the ice and paid a handful of Ranger legends to skate with him and his friends. Nick Fotiu was one of the guys who skated and he still uses those skates.

Fyi, in a bullshit pickup game, at 60+ years of age, he's still feisty out there. He tripped Brian Mullen. I know Brian because I ref some of his junior games. Brian looks at me and says "no call stripes"? I laugh and say "sure coach, u send Nick Fotiu to the box, let me know how that works out for you". We both laughed as he got up and skated away.

So here's my prediction and curious what you guys (especially you, JR) predict: I'm gonna get these NXGs profiled and then take them with the old Langes (and new TUUKS) to the rink. I'm predicting that I feel "OK" in the old Langes...and either exactly the same or slightly worse in these insanely expensive new NXGs...and they'll be up on ebay as "nearly new, profiled, un-baked NXGs" and I'll take about a $200 loss on the experiment. (Of course, if I'm wrong and they really make a difference on the ice, I'll keep 'em and bake 'em up.)

Any predictions?

HAHAHA....Get the NXGs Baked and throw out the Langes or turn them into a lamp or something.

I recently reffed a private game where some rich dude rented the ice and paid a handful of Ranger legends to skate with him and his friends. Nick Fotiu was one of the guys who skated and he still uses those skates.

Fyi, in a bullshit pickup game, at 60+ years of age, he's still feisty out there. He tripped Brian Mullen. I know Brian because I ref some of his junior games. Brian looks at me and says "no call stripes"? I laugh and say "sure coach, u send Nick Fotiu to the box, let me know how that works out for you". We both laughed as he got up and skated away.

That is awesome. No one filmed any of it? I'd love to watch something like that.

I had the old Lange's with the old school all steel tube blades around 1976 or so....Cried when I out grew them. Got a pair of those all plastic Microns and out grew them in a season.. in 1979 or so had Bauer turbos for one year (Boot cracked in the corners where the tendon guard met the boot).....

anyone else remember those nylon hiking boot laces that tore the crap outa your pinkey fingers when you tird your skates?