Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

badger_14

Metro-Boston?

Ice player looking for pick up (preferably) or league (maybe) in the Newton/Waltham/Watertown greater Boston area for the summer. D-level/Novice forward.

Prefer not too far afield, because I don't have a car.

Any leads?

Ice player looking for pick up (preferably) or league (maybe) in the Newton/Waltham/Watertown greater Boston area for the summer. D-level/Novice forward.

Prefer not too far afield, because I don't have a car.

Any leads?

The Hockey Academy runs a novice league out of Fessenden in Newton.

The Hockey Academy runs a novice league out of Fessenden in Newton.

Unless they finished closing it in the Daly Rink in Newton is closed during the summer, but there used to be a private pick up game that welcomed newcomers that plays out of there. It used to be at 7 am on Sunday mornings, not sure if it's still at that time. Might try the Boston Skating Club rink in Brighton/Allston as well.

Unless they finished closing it in the Daly Rink in Newton is closed during the summer, but there used to be a private pick up game that welcomed newcomers that plays out of there. It used to be at 7 am on Sunday mornings, not sure if it's still at that time. Might try the Boston Skating Club rink in Brighton/Allston as well.

Hockey Academy's website says the summer edition of the Newton league is played half the season (May and June) at Babson in Wellesley, and the July and August back at Fessenden. Though I'm less inclined toward a league just because of the up-front expense.

Thanks, I'll check out the BSC rink too.

Dredging this one back up. Any open hockey in the Newton area this Saturday or Sunday?

It's been two years since I lived there but try the sunday morning Daly Rink skate. If you call the rink they'll tell you if those guys still have the ice.

Thanks guys. I'm low B, high C I guess. Just looking to get on the ice for a little while. Doesn't have to be anything crazy. What's the B level like for Stinkysocks?

I've played C before since Andover didn't have A//B and it wasn't fast at all, so I'm guessing you'll be fine. I'm in Burlington area anyone have any ice/pickups around here?

Just a side note in regards to stinky socks

I have played in the Stinky Socks B level "Boston's Best" Tourney the last 3 years. (have not played in any leagues or their pick up skates)

B level is definitely B level. (they also have a C level)

They do take single player registrations

They run a great tournament. I highly recommend it.

Thanks guys. I'm low B, high C I guess. Just looking to get on the ice for a little while. Doesn't have to be anything crazy. What's the B level like for Stinkysocks?

I play in the C/D level for SSH and scorekeep the B level games.

B is pretty fast, and average age for the dudes who showed up to the Somerville skate was 25-27 or so. All looked like they either played good HS/Prep and/or at least college club.

I like SSH because it's a nice second skate during the week in addition to my other league Greater Boston Hockey

GBH is pretty good as well and plays in Watertown, Somerville, Bedford, and Chelmsford. There are eval sessions that you need to attend (to ensure you know how to skate and to keep out the riffraff) but overall it's a high C/low B level.

What's the deal with Stinky Socks? I might be in Boston for the summer (Newton, actually) and I don't want to go without hockey... but I've only been playing for a couple years and it's hard to figure out what my options would be since I'm not familiar with hockey in the area. I also have this assumption, perhaps overblown, that hockey in Boston is far more competitive than here in Pittsburgh where I live... if I can hang in an average D-league here, will I be in over my head in a D-league in Boston or is it roughly equivalent? Here in Pittsburgh I play on a women's team as well as a handful of men's (beer) league teams depending on what time of year it is, but it's hard to get a handle on how the ability levels cross over because I play mostly in a draft league that has a variety of levels... I suppose I'd average myself around D but it's even hard to say here because D at one arena is faster than another, etc.. I see from the web site that SSH has a women's-only league but I'm not that interested in it... are women welcome in the men's (co-ed) leagues as well? Can someone who is more familiar with the Boston area options help a girl out with suggestions on D-level hockey? I have a car and would be willing to travel a little, but this would just be for the summer so I don't know how early I'd have to register?

What's the deal with Stinky Socks? I might be in Boston for the summer (Newton, actually) and I don't want to go without hockey... but I've only been playing for a couple years and it's hard to figure out what my options would be since I'm not familiar with hockey in the area. I also have this assumption, perhaps overblown, that hockey in Boston is far more competitive than here in Pittsburgh where I live... if I can hang in an average D-league here, will I be in over my head in a D-league in Boston or is it roughly equivalent? Here in Pittsburgh I play on a women's team as well as a handful of men's (beer) league teams depending on what time of year it is, but it's hard to get a handle on how the ability levels cross over because I play mostly in a draft league that has a variety of levels... I suppose I'd average myself around D but it's even hard to say here because D at one arena is faster than another, etc.. I see from the web site that SSH has a women's-only league but I'm not that interested in it... are women welcome in the men's (co-ed) leagues as well? Can someone who is more familiar with the Boston area options help a girl out with suggestions on D-level hockey? I have a car and would be willing to travel a little, but this would just be for the summer so I don't know how early I'd have to register?

StinkySocks is pretty cool. I play in it as a second night of hockey in addition to my other league, Greater Boston Hockey (just one level at mid-to-lower B, former HS and also some D-III college/club/lower juniors).

I play in the C/D level in StinkySocks and I bet you'd probably do fine if you've had previous beer league experience. It's a wide range of players, from former HS to just youth hockey to pretty much this is their first ice hockey league ever. There's also a D level for novice, but seeing as how you have beer league experience, I doubt you'd be in this level.

There is a girl who plays in my SSH league, it's not an issue. I did find it weird that she got dressed in the same locker room as the guys, but whatever, wouldn't be the first time I dropped trou in the same room as a girl (c'mon, it's hockey, folks). Also with SSH, you don't have to commit to an entire season, you can pay per game (about $20 or so depending on the night/level/rink).

Sounds like SSH might be your best bet if you're just here for a few months and want a casual and fun skate. There's New England Senior Hockey League as well (home of the infamous "glove poop" incident) but with forewarning that it's somewhat goonish and I've seen (and may/may not have caused) some full-on ice thuggery. It's kind of like the LNAH of beer league. Feel free to hit me up via PM if you have any additional questions.

Hi guys. I'm topping this thread again because a) people were super helpful when I asked for suggestions on where to play last summer and b) I'm back in Mass under new circumstances and would love a little help getting more hockey on my schedule.

Here's the short version: Last summer I lived here for the summer with a temporary job and needed similarly temporary hockey to keep me sane, and with a few people's help and insight via PM, I found some good skates. Stinky Socks turned out to be the right solution given the situation.

Fast forward to present day; I've moved back (permanently) and am hoping to fall in with some good regular skates. I've been playing in C level games with Stinky Socks (at West Roxbury for the last few weeks and more recently in Natick and a few other spots). I'd really like to get a second or third night of hockey in each week though, and that's where I need some help. Anyone care to share with me, here or via PM, any insights or suggestions on where to look, leagues to sign up for, leagues to avoid, private pickups they want to invite me to, etc?

I've done the research so I know the main leagues around the area; right now I'm leaning toward signing up as a draft player for the NESHL. I'm assuming I'll be in the D level by their standards but honestly have no idea. I don't think I'm a strong enough skater for the Greater Boston Hockey League, and the New England Hockey league is too far. I'm living south of the city right now, Norfolk, but hopefully will be moving much closer to the city very soon, which also adds to my dilemma... I want hockey in the metro area but for the next month or two I'm still gonna be driving from Norfolk so north of the city is out of the question.

In addition to those leagues, one thing I can't seem to get a handle on is whether local rinks run their own in-house leagues. Is that a thing here? In Pittsburgh, where I lived for the last decade, there weren't larger regional leagues so much as smaller rink-specific leagues, run by each rink separately. Wouldn't mind that kind of set up if it exists here...

I haven't researched women's teams or leagues much; I played on a women's rec team before I moved, along with the usual men's/beer league teams, but I don't know how much I care about finding a replacement for that womens-only hockey option, unless it's my only way to get a second weekly game in. I'd be happy with co-ed hockey but realize maybe I should look at the women's only options just to have more options..?

So... if you were in my situation, where would you look first for more hockey beyond Stinky Socks? If you live and play in the area, lend me your experience based wisdom?

Thanks!

I'm currently playing SSH C-level (mainly because I can never find a pickup B-level)

going to play C level at 8:40p tonight at Andover.