Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

z1ggy

Best Off Ice Hands Training Tools?

Especially to work on my toe drag. Not looking to practice my shooting at all, just puck control. I was thinking of a green biscuit but I know there are other products out there. Mainly looking to put my roller blades on and practice in the street, then go inside on my basement or kitchen floor once it gets colder out. Do you guys have experience with any other equipment? I was thinking of going cheap and just using a golf ball, but I thought having a puck shaped object would be better to train my eyes/muscle memory.

Sorry if this has been covered before. If it has, just kindly link me to the thread. Thank you.

My green biscuit gets a lot of use. I really like it. I use golf balls when practicing around the house.

Nothing beats a good shooting board and a real puck though...

I have some plexiglass that I shoot real pucks off of. The shooting boards are kind of pricey and waxed plexi is probably just as good, for half the price. I can only stand still though while using it because it's only about 3'x3'.

My son and I use the Green Biscuit and Quickhands stickhandling (the red half-octagon looking thing) in the house (we have big tiles so the green biscuit slides just like a puck)... We also have Smart Hockey Balls but Green Biscuit sees most of the action. We'd use the biscuit to do toe drags (much easier to do backhand toe drags with the biscuit), saucer passes down the hall, fast and hard passes. The Smart Hockey Balls are good and feels more like a puck due to the weight but it's slower and bounces more than the biscuit...

We also use a large shooting pad with a built-in passer, shooting regular and weighted pucks, in the garage on a regulation size EZ Goal with the side/top screen/blocker. Do not buy the goal/net made by USAHockey! My newphen has the USAHockey goal and although it looks just like the EZ Goal, the material is pure junk and the metal would dent everytime the puck hits the bars/pipes. We've pretty much destroyed the USAHockey net...

Thanks Coldclay, that's great help.

Do you find the Quickhands improved his game?? I was thinking of just making something out of wood for a few bucks, instead of buying that (kind of pricey) or just placing some sticks/rubbish on the ground and stick handling around objects.

Thanks Coldclay, that's great help.

Do you find the Quickhands improved his game?? I was thinking of just making something out of wood for a few bucks, instead of buying that (kind of pricey) or just placing some sticks/rubbish on the ground and stick handling around objects.

You're right, the Quickhand is rather pricey and I did make my own, with a bunch of PVC pipes and spray painted it red. You can see a vid on my instagram at clay008... I'd like to think it improved his stickhandling, since he does toe drag pretty well for a 10 yo... Unfortunately it's his only go-to move lol. I try to tell him to use the Quickhands more often because he needs to develope more moves to mix things up (we tend to pass/saucer more in the house). But for a few dollars of PVC pipes, it's well worth the money and you can youtube a bunch of videos on Quickhands drills.

I didn't tind the DIY topic so I'm posting it here. Had a couple broken shafts in the garage and made myself stickhandling tool. I hope I will improve my poor stickhandling.

QJfrtHtl.jpg

i bought two dry eraser boards from home depot. I use one for stick handling and the other for a slide board. work really well. also use golf balls and bounce balls

I have found that the smarthockey ball and green biscuit, and also a golf ball work well in the kitchen lol.

The smarthockey ball has a decent weight and find if i use this first, the green biscuit feels lighter afterward. Golf ball is good for "soft hands" if that makes sense.

Floorball sticks are great. My son started using one after his coach ( a hockey Canada VP) got them for his team a number of years ago. He still uses it 8 years later after several size changes of course. They picked up the idea in Finland/Sweden apparently.

www.salmingfloorball.com I have seen them at the Hockey Monkey store.

Can be used in the house as the wiffle ball doesn't mark the walls. It may not seem to be a great crossover to hockey but it does work.

Slash13, that looks great! I too have made my own fast hands out of some timber I had lying around. Cheap and works great. I use a green biscuit with it. Tried golf balls and didn't like the feel at all as it was too dissimilar to a puck. I also have a bit of acrylic which I use as a shooting/handling pad with either the green biscuit or a normal puck. Need to do a lot more practice however as I suck at stick handling! [emoji45]

Floorball sticks are great. My son started using one after his coach ( a hockey Canada VP) got them for his team a number of years ago. He still uses it 8 years later after several size changes of course. They picked up the idea in Finland/Sweden apparently.

www.salmingfloorball.com I have seen them at the Hockey Monkey store.

Can be used in the house as the wiffle ball doesn't mark the walls. It may not seem to be a great crossover to hockey but it does work.

Floorball is actually a quite popular sport on its own in Scandinavia and other parts of Eastern Europe. I was introduced to it when I was in Finland about 20 years ago. It's a lot of fun, and I think a pretty good way to work on handling the puck/ball, but it's not very popular in the us.

Sort of on the issue are the Swedish Wooden Balls. A lot of pro shops have them for $5-$10 each. I went to the local craft store, think it was Hobby Lobby and bought bags of 4 for $3.99. For that price we gave them to the whole team in tournament gift bags.