Jump to content
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
MSH Pro Shop closing from 12/2 until 12/9 Read more... ×
Reviews wanted! Read more... ×
Langkow22

CCM AS1 skate pain

Recommended Posts

Hey guys 

Have had the as1 skates for a little over a month and a half now and had them properly fitted here in the uk using the Bauer scanner https://my.volumental.com/en/bauer/55d4fbc5-08f1-4a96-9cb3-6d5703853f3f/?utm_medium=myvemail

The guy sold me on yellow super feet and I have been skating on them 4 times a week at an hour a time with no problems. 

That was until first game of the season last weekend when I obviously spent a lot more time in them and suddenly I’ve had multiple things rear their ugly head, I’m getting cramp across the bottom of my right foot and this on my left foot:

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0aTYeRzFWuECKfWNqUFvAOP4g

ive never had this problem before so thought it may be the super feet but skated last night in them with stock foam insoles (not the yellow ortho things) and still got the same problems and tightened them up a lot more and that just made the cramp worse.

my right skate always feels like there is more movement in it due to my right foot being half a size smaller and I usually have that problem in my skates. I’ve never however had blisters on my instep before. 

Skates are a 9.5D 

Thoughts on a solution? 

 

Thanks guys

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Langkow22 said:

Hey guys 

Have had the as1 skates for a little over a month and a half now and had them properly fitted here in the uk using the Bauer scanner https://my.volumental.com/en/bauer/55d4fbc5-08f1-4a96-9cb3-6d5703853f3f/?utm_medium=myvemail

The guy sold me on yellow super feet and I have been skating on them 4 times a week at an hour a time with no problems. 

That was until first game of the season last weekend when I obviously spent a lot more time in them and suddenly I’ve had multiple things rear their ugly head, I’m getting cramp across the bottom of my right foot and this on my left foot:

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0aTYeRzFWuECKfWNqUFvAOP4g

ive never had this problem before so thought it may be the super feet but skated last night in them with stock foam insoles (not the yellow ortho things) and still got the same problems and tightened them up a lot more and that just made the cramp worse.

my right skate always feels like there is more movement in it due to my right foot being half a size smaller and I usually have that problem in my skates. I’ve never however had blisters on my instep before. 

Skates are a 9.5D 

Thoughts on a solution? 

 

Thanks guys

5

So, first thing. Why are they using a Bauer scanner or Bauer Brannock device? Each manufacturer has their own fitting specifications. 

Secondly, it seems to be that the built-in arch that CCM incorporated into the AS1 is not working well with your foot shape. Looking at your feet I think you should be wearing something else and not an AS1. If you have had them less than 90 days return them under the 90-day satisfaction policy and try on the FT1 and 70k skates. 

What is confusing to me is the way Bauer rates your feet as compared to what I am seeing. I would not say you have very high arches but Bauer marked you do....

Edited by Nicholas G
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey Langkow,

I recently switched from the AS1's to the Bauer 1X's because I was having some of the same issues. I had some pretty bad cramps in the bottom of my feet but luckily I didn't get to the point of blistering the way you have. However I can tell you that it probably wouldn't have been to much longer before I did. After having them the better part of three months and trying to make them work, I was beginning to get a lot of heel movement and my feet were starting to get chaffed up pretty bad. I tried baking them a second time and even different lacing patterns to make the skates tighter and all that did was affect my circulation and make my feet go to sleep. The AS1's are extremely stiff and I think they are a great set of skates if you have the right foot for them but from the sounds of it, you might want to look elsewhere. If you are inclined to stay with CCM, the profile of the FT1 might give you that fit and lock you are looking for.  Even though I was reluctant at first to make the switch to the Bauer 1X, It was the best thing I could have done. The Bauer 1X's offset and anatomical ankle design has made a huge difference in the way the skates fit my feet and because of that, I am able to get these skate to do much more for me. I would honestly use your "90 day satisfaction guarantee" and go back to the drawing board. 

Just a thought.

Edited by JC225
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, JC225 said:

Hey Langkow,

I recently switched from the AS1's to the Bauer 1X's because I was having some of the same issues. I had some pretty bad cramps in the bottom of my feet but luckily I didn't get to the point of blistering the way you have. However I can tell that it probably wouldn't have been to much longer before I did. After having them the better part of three months and trying to make them work, I was beginning to get a lot of heel movement and my feet were starting to get chaffed up pretty bad. I tried baking them a second time and even different lacing patterns to make the skates tighter and all that did was affect my circulation and make my feet go to sleep. The AS1's are extremely stiff and I think are a great skate if you have the right foot for them but from the sounds of it, you might want to look elsewhere. If you are inclined to stay with CCM, the profile of the FT1 might give you that fit and lock you are looking for.  Even though I was reluctant at first to make the switch to the Bauer 1X, It was the best thing I could have done. The Bauer 1X's offset and anatomical ankle design has made a huge difference in the way the skates fit my feet and because of that, I am able to get these skate to do much more for me. I would honestly use your "90 day satisfaction guarantee" and go back to the drawing board. 

Just a thought.

+1

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have you ever tried wearing a size 9 to accommodate your smaller foot. It may actually fit you better than you think, even for yourarger foot. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another thing is superfeet can take time to get used to. When I used them it took me a couple weeks of my normal skating schedule to get used to them. Bottom of the feet hurt. I probably would've put you in a Jetspeed though, not a Tacks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just skated on my as1s and holy cow am I in pain. I've actually never felt this kind of pain with new skates before and coming from trues it's even ruder Awakening...  Having them baked and wearing inside the house it felt fine. A bit of chaffing in the medial ankle/instep on my right foot but that was the least of my concerns after my ice session. Skating wasn't unbearable, but walking to the dressing room after. Both medial ankles bones were hurting bad. Also my pinky on my left which I had a feeling might give me issues since it was pretty snug during the bake.

 I have to say though that the skates made me feel a lot more agile on the ice. They are extremely stiff and I had to loosen the too two eyelets to get proper flexion. 

Looks like there's a high chance I'm going to go through with the 90 day guarantee. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Sniper9 said:

Just skated on my as1s and holy cow am I in pain. I've actually never felt this kind of pain with new skates before and coming from trues it's even ruder Awakening...  Having them baked and wearing inside the house it felt fine. A bit of chaffing in the medial ankle/instep on my right foot but that was the least of my concerns after my ice session. Skating wasn't unbearable, but walking to the dressing room after. Both medial ankles bones were hurting bad. Also my pinky on my left which I had a feeling might give me issues since it was pretty snug during the bake.

 I have to say though that the skates made me feel a lot more agile on the ice. They are extremely stiff and I had to loosen the too two eyelets to get proper flexion. 

Looks like there's a high chance I'm going to go through with the 90 day guarantee. 

3

While I am a big fan of the AS1 skates they did not work well for me either. The boot was too stiff and tall. I also found that the built-in arch also caused me a lot of discomfort as well. The FT1/FT2 is a much better fit for my foot type and skating style. You might want to consider changing to the FT1 if you are going to do the 90-day satisfaction guarantee. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Nicholas G said:

While I am a big fan of the AS1 skates they did not work well for me either. The boot was too stiff and tall. I also found that the built-in arch also caused me a lot of discomfort as well. The FT1/FT2 is a much better fit for my foot type and skating style. You might want to consider changing to the FT1 if you are going to do the 90-day satisfaction guarantee. 

I can't fit into an ft1. Tried on a ee width and it was still not wide enough. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The insole / arch support has a tremendous effect on foot pain. 

Try to loosen the tension in your foot by using a tennis ball a few hours before you skate (stretching of plantar fascia)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just had my second skate with the as1 and it was night and day better. No pain at all. I wore the skates inside the house for probably 2-3 hrs at a time the last two days and it def made a huge difference.  I realized that alot of the issue was due to tightening the laces too much which I didn't think would be an issue. I literally had to tie them the same way as with my trues, which was barely any tension. 

I put some duct tape over some areas on my foot that were rubbing/pinching and it worked wonders. Was really able to enjoy the skates. My left pinky toe does rub against the ridge of the toe box where it meets the boot though. Not sure why CCM designed it so there's nothing covering that area which is just hard raised plastic. ... I don't think that area can be punched out and it's too tight to get in there to and or file down. It didn't cause pain but a bit annoying feeling it. 

xpO5l6a.jpg

Edited by Sniper9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sniper9: I'm discovering with my Bauer customs that I shouldn't tighten the laces as much as I used to. Maybe this is a feature of high end skates. Interesting about your Trues, a friend tightens his as much as he can and gets numb feet. Says he lacks control if he does not do that.l 

Edited by Leif
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Sniper9 said:

I just had my second skate with the as1 and it was night and day better. No pain at all. I wore the skates inside the house for probably 2-3 hrs at a time the last two days and it def made a huge difference.  I realized that alot of the issue was due to tightening the laces too much which I didn't think would be an issue. I literally had to tie them the same way as with my trues, which was barely any tension. 

I put some duct tape over some areas on my foot that were rubbing/pinching and it worked wonders. Was really able to enjoy the skates. My left pinky toe does rub against the ridge of the toe box where it meets the boot though. Not sure why CCM designed it so there's nothing covering that area which is just hard raised plastic. ... I don't think that area can be punched out and it's too tight to get in there to and or file down. It didn't cause pain but a bit annoying feeling it. 

xpO5l6a.jpg

This exact area has been a problem for a few customers of ours and we have to send CCM the skates back to have larger toe caps attached. You cant punch that area of the boot properly. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, stick9 said:

Ya I saw that. I might also just use duct tape. It tape the inside of the boot where the ridge is. Luckily for me it's not painful but annoying. 

I don't know why it's designed so poorly in that area. Why wouldn't they make the inside of the tow box as smooth as possible or at least line it with some smooth padding. 

Edited by Sniper9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Leif said:

Sniper9: I'm discovering with my Bauer customs that I shouldn't tighten the laces as much as I used to. Maybe this is a feature of high end skates. Interesting about your Trues, a friend tightens his as much as he can and gets numb feet. Says he lacks control if he does not do that.l 

Your friend may have poor fitting trues.. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Sniper9 said:

Ya I saw that. I might also just use duct tape. It tape the inside of the boot where the ridge is. Luckily for me it's not painful but annoying. 

I don't know why it's designed so poorly in that area. Why wouldn't they make the inside of the tow box as smooth as possible or at least line it with some smooth padding. 

Duct tapping your foot isn't a long term fix.

Maybe moleskin on the inside of the boot would be a better option.

 

Edited by stick9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, stick9 said:

Duct tapping your foot isn't a long term fix.

Maybe moleskin on the inside of the boot would be a better option.

 

Ya I need to find something. The best solution imo would be filing that ridge down but it's a near impossible area to get into unless the facing is heated and folded back to allow you to see what you're doing. 

I'm bringing fit to my lhs to see what they can do. Moleskin is a good idea. I out some thin Eva foam in the area and it helped but obviously still felt it because the ridge sticks out. Will see what the lhs suggests/does and go from there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I made up this little tool to open up the little toe area on my new Vapors.

Insert into the toe...open end wrench to apply pressure then a heat gun

applied locally on the little toe area. Laces tight on the first 4 holes

before heat. Let skate cool with the insert in place.

My first try at adding a photo.........

Shq4Iqjl.jpg

Well damn it worked. Wrench access is a little tight but it worked ok for me.

I heated the area to about 200-210 degrees used a IR gun to check temps.

Tried to keep heat very local and more on the toe cap itself.

Dave

Edited by Dave P
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wish my issue was more the width of the toe cap but it's the stupid clip on toe box system CCM uses. The left one has a plastic notch that sticks out way more than the right. I might actually end up having to warranty it. My lhs was able to widen the toe box noticeable but the notch is still there and I can feel it. Will.it cause pain and issues, maybe not, but it's annoying af and shouldn't be like that for top end skates. 

Edit: I ended up using some soft Eva foam toe inserts that true sent to me. They were soft enough to cushion the area and not just cover it. So far so good...I really don't know why lining the toe boxes with at least a very thin layer of padding isn't standard. Even the old Bauer stock insole systems that had the wings were a good idea.  

 

Picture of the insert. Ended up doing this to the right skate too just to even the feel on both sides. #ocd...dHHgrpq.jpg

Edited by Sniper9
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×