Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

C_TINCHER_SKATE

How do you get good at hockey

work on your skating primarily. theres way too many people who practice shooting and stickhandling above skating. power skating clinics work well

skating is key, shoot and pass in stride, always keep your head up, work on stops and starts, keep a low centre of gravity, back check, forecheck, use stops and starts instead of crossovers in your transitions, always be open to learning, work hard....

Really?Last year I was a first year Bantam B1 player and I went to a camp with 2nd year Bantam AAA players and it really helped me. You just got to work hard.

Like others mentioned, work on skating first, Many times I see young ones working on shooting and stick-handling, and tend to neglect skating, your no good if you are an excellent stick-handler, or shooter, but can't skate. Check your local rinks too, most rinks have hockey clinics or camps.

Practice. Practice. Practice

Exactly. Also, develop all of your skills equally rather than focusing on one atribute like shooting.

Good things to do to get better might be:

Find a figure skating instructor this summer and get one or two 1/2 hour lessons each week. Do not get group lessons, but get one-on-one lessons. Also go to at least one "public skate session" to practice each week. You simply can not play hockey well unless you can skate. A figure skating instructor will make sure you are standing correctly, improve your balance, and show you how to use all 4 edges (inside forward, inside backwards, outside forwards, outside backwards). Figure skating lessons are surprisingly cheap, and the one-on-one is vastly superior to going to a group power skating clinic. It is amazing how many people simply can not skate in hockey!!!

Get a golf ball, or one of those stickhandling balls, and "become one with the ball". Practice every free moment you get. If you have the scratch, buy some of sean skinners stickhandling videos and do the drills.

Build up your body. Learn how to do squats, hockey lunges, dead lifts.

If you have too much body fat (> 10%) get rid of it with diet and exercise. Pros train for less than 6% bodyfat. Too much fat slows you down and makes you overheat easily.

Shoot 200 pucks per day at a target. Really concentrate on hitting the target! After you get good, practice shooting from odd positions (on one leg, angled toward the net, backhand).

That should keep you busy. Note there are no quick fixes. All of these require work to get better.

Practice until you develop better skills and gain more experience. It's not going to happen overnight or over a weekend.

I second the Turcotte camp. Even though it's a stickhandling camp, they touch up on everything.

I got this off the Turcotte website. Looks like a well rounded program. One of our Bantams did it last summer and I did notice a big improvement in his game last season. Wish they had an adult camp. :(

Our goal is to have a 6 to 1 ratio of students per instructor.

The ratio allows our staff to work individually with each student every day. Our regular session schedule is:

Day 1, 2 and 4 (Normally Monday, Tuesday and Thursday)

90 minutes / Stickhandling & Shooting

10 minutes / Resurface

20 minutes / Team Skills

25 minutes / 4 on 4 Scrimmage and Stickhandling Moves

25 minutes / Power Skating

Day 3 and 5 (Normally Wednesday and Friday)

90 minutes / Stickhandling & Shooting

10 minutes / Resurface

20 minutes / Team Skills

50 minutes / Full Ice Scrimmage

Also go to at least one "public skate session" to practice each week. You simply can not play hockey well unless you can skate.

Good point Biff, altough I'm not sure there is public skating in the summer. Even where I live, there is not public skating in summer.

Pick up the Vinny Lecav series from Smart Hockey. Normally I don't buy into that stuff but it sets up a workout and all you have to do is follow the workout. If you do what it tells you, you will improve. I've seen the results with a couple of kids.

Yeh some of the guys were saying that playing up a standard would make you want to quit, but if you truly want to get better, you stay focused and ultimately benefit from it. A high level coach for a team that i was playing up to always said that it doesnt matter if you fall, but its what you do afterwards that counts.

Also go to at least one "public skate session" to practice each week.  You simply can not play hockey well unless you can skate.

Good point Biff, altough I'm not sure there is public skating in the summer. Even where I live, there is not public skating in summer.

No ice in the summer? Where do you live, the Gobbi desert?

Are you sure there is no ice? You may have to drive 50 minutes to get to an open rink, but it might be worth it. Maybe you can arrange a lesson, go have a sandwich, and go back out to practice for another hour, then drive back.

It is not nearly as good, but you might be able to find someone with a synthetic ice surface somewhere nearby.

Failing that, I guess your only options are to go away for a camp. Where do you live?