Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cheechoo

Endorsement deals/masked equipment

I would think that F1 would be a little different as the car is the main piece of equipment and the manufacturer is part of the team...when you have a ton of engines lying around as backups, who cares about gloves and sneakers? :)

Depends on the racing team. Fila spent $15,000,000 to get the contractto clothe Ferrari several years ago. But God only knows how much Puma had to pay in order to get a new contract. However, the Jordan team might pay you to have their team wear BOUCEWEAR in the pits. You could rationalize the expense with them, since unlike their engines BOUCEWEAR works every time!

They'd be the sharpest-dressed pit crew on the circuit. Just like Billy Dee Williams.

But back to what we were talking about - I don't know if that is a good analogy. Because, obviously, the car is the main thing, which would equate to sticks and skates and gloves, the visible equipment. Wouldn't the driver's uniform be more comparable to , say, baselayers in hockey? It'll be an accessory...

Speaking of FILA...those damn F13 shoes - ugh! We keep on getting different colors in every day...

I would think that F1 would be a little different as the car is the main piece of equipment and the manufacturer is part of the team...when you have a ton of engines lying around as backups, who cares about gloves and sneakers? :)

I agree that Hockey and F1 have completely different financial structures. All I've been trying to say all along is that companies want pros, in whatever sport, to wear/use their stuff and I don't understand why (a) they would charge them for equipment and (B) why they would hide their name by supplying no-graphics equipment.

They don't charge the players, they charge the teams. Like I said, the endorsement deal is strictly monetary. The player agrees to use their stuff.

As far as the other question, what do you mean? Who supplies blank equipment? If you are talking about when logos are blacked out, it's because licensing fees were not paid.

I think he means things like blacked out blades. Like when Inno and Easton and such give pros blades without their companies logo on them

They don't charge the players, they charge the teams. Like I said, the endorsement deal is strictly monetary. The player agrees to use their stuff.

As far as the other question, what do you mean? Who supplies blank equipment? If you are talking about when logos are blacked out, it's because licensing fees were not paid.

Or when a player is using something outside of his endorsement deal, ie. Hull and Mission. I'm not sure Mission realized what they were getting into with Hull. I bet he drove more that a few Mission equipment guys to drink.

With some NHL goalies, their pads may be KOHO because that's what the goalie likes, but the name Vaughn, etc, may be on the pads because of endorsement deals. The type of deal varies all over the spectrum.

If an NCAA team has a deal with an equiptment manufacturer, does the team buy that manufacturer's protective?

During National play and people with two way contracts, what situations would be needed for who buys the sticks? Will easton and company be happy to provide a few products for thw WCOH for free, or are we paying the bill somewhere in our USA hockey membership?

With some NHL goalies, their pads may be KOHO because that's what the goalie likes, but the name Vaughn, etc, may be on the pads because of endorsement deals. The type of deal varies all over the spectrum.

That reminds me of my friend. He has to get new pads because he got drafted this year (WHL) and can't use his custom beasts in the Dub. He has all kinds of modifications on them, but he can't use them so he's selling 'em. Supposedly he's going to get another custom pair of Beasts, but put Velo logo's on them, but that is just what's floating around..

They don't charge the players, they charge the teams.  Like I said, the endorsement deal is strictly monetary.  The player agrees to use their stuff.

As far as the other question, what do you mean?  Who supplies blank equipment?  If you are talking about when logos are blacked out, it's because licensing fees were not paid.

Or when a player is using something outside of his endorsement deal, ie. Hull and Mission. I'm not sure Mission realized what they were getting into with Hull. I bet he drove more that a few Mission equipment guys to drink.

LOL look right above your post :)

Guest Marcelo Cordoba

Name one.

Guest Marcelo Cordoba
That reminds me of my friend. He has to get new pads because he got drafted this year (WHL) and can't use his custom beasts in the Dub. He has all kinds of modifications on them, but he can't use them so he's selling 'em. Supposedly he's going to get another custom pair of Beasts, but put Velo logo's on them, but that is just what's floating around..

Seriously guy, what is your buddy going to do...pull out a sharpie and color over the Brian's graphics and write in VAUGHN, or Velocity?

Come on now. Get real. It doesn't even take common sense to figure this one out.

Heh. I figured I was going to get jumped on for that. Hence the "that is just what's floating around..."

Anywho, I thought it would be cool to see pads like that. BTW, I know absolutely nothing about pads, so I wouldn't take anything I say about them too seriously.

Seriously guy, what is your buddy going to do...pull out a sharpie and color over the Brian's graphics and write in VAUGHN, or Velocity?

Come on now. Get real. It doesn't even take common sense to figure this one out.

No, but equipment managers can change clarino on the face and adjust logo's, etc. Been done many times. If you visit the goaliestore.com board, I'm sure you can you can get all info on who/when what.

No, but equipment managers can change clarino on the face and adjust logo's, etc. Been done many times. If you visit the goaliestore.com board, I'm sure you can you can get all info on who/when what.

I have NEVER seen a set of goal pads that are distinctly one brand and has logos from another. And that's illegal, too. You're telling me that Koho would allow a goalie to take a pair of 590s and put Vaughn's logo on it? Highly unlikely. Prove me wrong.

If that is illegal how come when players wear skates of one brand with another brand's logo's is not?

Explain...

Kovy's "Nike Vapors" remember.....Nike and Bauer are partners but still

If that is illegal how come when players wear skates of one brand with another brand's logo's is not?

The only case (I know of) of a player using a skate of a brand A with logos of brand B on it is within the Bauer-Nike family. Näslund used to wear Vapor 10s that were made up to look like Nike V12s. But as Bauer and Nike are one company, there is no problem with it.

But in general JR is right from a legal point of view. No brand has to tolerate it if a competitor takes your product and puts his logo on it. Imagine some cheapo far-east car brand putting Mercedes Stars on their hood... highly illegal. Same goes for hockey equipment. Someone puts his logo on your brand's product... you can sue the hell out of him.

It's Nike-Bauer, it's essentially the same company, therefore their not taking another company's name. Like Itech put their name on Mission's helmet (Kessel), which is alrite, since the companies are merged(well I don't know the whole story, but essentially). Or THC having RBK on CCM, if this did happen, it wouldn't be 'illegal,' since they too are the same company.