Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hockeyman9621

Not seeing resuts?

Like above, you need to vary what you do. Also, it is important to take a day off every few days so the body can recover and grow.

sleep is definitly key to helping develop your muscles. also try variations of conditioning exercises. running at a steady pace for 2 miles every day is good, but if you change it up and sprint or use slopes during your runs it may help make you a better runner overall.

Ok, two questions, how can I know I'm getting the same workout when I'm riding a bike? How far should I go to make two miles running? Also, if I were to do sprints,(say, 100 metres) how many would I do?

Also, I do have up and downhill spots where I run, and I do rest, I do this 4-5 times a week with weight training and body weight training.

Ok, two questions, how can I know I'm getting the same workout when I'm riding a bike? How far should I go to make two miles running? Also, if I were to do sprints,(say, 100 metres) how many would I do?

Also, I do have up and downhill spots where I run, and I do rest, I do this 4-5 times a week with weight training and body weight training.

you can't define a distance, it should be more based on heart rate and legnth.

Running 2 miles as one of your main ways to train for hockey won't get you very far. Stop that now. Yes, run intervals, which will burn more calories (and fat) and make you faster, faster. Alsoi, change up what you do to train. Mix it up with weight sessions, track workouts, swimming, rock climbing, marathon sex sessions, anything to get you going. But err on the side of making your workouts a bit shorter and more intense. When you train with a lot of intensity, you do build your cardiovascular capacity, along with gaining strength, whereas you don't help anything else when you just train aerobically. Find a hill to run up near you, put on a backpadck and run up it again. And don't wear ankle weights and run distance; if you are going to add to your body's weight, make it short distance sprints. Good luck

you're probly not seeing any results because you're at your maximum cardio shape. it only takes 2 weeks to get your cardio up to speed, and that's why not many people spend that long on it during summer training. the only benefits for continued running is to burn fat. the best thing to do is just sprint. when i go out for a run, i'll lightly jog for 45 seconds, then sprint for 15 seconds, then go back to lightly jogging for 45 seconds, etc. and i'll continue this for about 10 mins. it'll have quite a toll on you.

lee92: Nobody is in maximum cardio shape. Not even pro's, in any sport, are in maximum cardio shape. And whoever told you it takes 2 weeks to get your cardio up to speed is an idiot. It takes a lifetime of training to get your cardio up to shape, depending on your standards, so don't cut yourself short.

My understand was their isn't a maximum cardio. Max heart rate, yes, but you can continue to build your cardio forever.

for a week? I'd think and sit why I waited so long. There's a few threads on conditioning, go through them, and make incorporate workouts into your lifestyle.

lee92: Nobody is in maximum cardio shape. Not even pro's, in any sport, are in maximum cardio shape. And whoever told you it takes 2 weeks to get your cardio up to speed is an idiot. It takes a lifetime of training to get your cardio up to shape, depending on your standards, so don't cut yourself short.

no, it's true. it only takes a couple weeks to get your cardio up. last summer i'd run abou 4km 3-4 times a week, all summer, and was in no better shape at the end then i was to begin with. and another thing is that you don't necessarily need the cardio. hockey isn't a sport that demands you to be on the ice for long periods of time. it's just quick short bursts. sprints are better for you, performance wise, for hockey. and running is for losing weight.

no, it's true. it only takes a couple weeks to get your cardio up. last summer i'd run abou 4km 3-4 times a week, all summer, and was in no better shape at the end then i was to begin with. and another thing is that you don't necessarily need the cardio. hockey isn't a sport that demands you to be on the ice for long periods of time. it's just quick short bursts. sprints are better for you, performance wise, for hockey. and running is for losing weight.

Aerobics help your recovery time. You didn't push your limits Lee92, you need to keep pushing the envelope, you can't run the same distances for a long period. after 2 weeks you should've moved up your distances, then again after another 2 weeks. Thats when you're cardio builds. Keep in mind for running the first and last mile will always be tough, with the first mile being the toughest. Running 3-4 km means all of it was tough. It takes about a mile to get your heart rate up and going, and then the last mile is like the last hour of work :)

i can run 3-4 km every day all summer long and i cans till be out of shape. your body adjusts to the excercises you do and you find shortcuts. the only way you can really improve is if you start mixing it up. it's not really about distance, but rather about heart rate and endurance. for example, i find that doing a bunch of interval sprints or even suicides is more of a cardio benefit. running is just mroe of a staying active thing and losing fat. i think hockey does demand cardio though, but a different type. instead of a sport like soccer or basketball, where you're at say, 60-70% for long periods of time with short bursts, hockey you are at 100% for 45 seconds.

My understand was their isn't a maximum cardio. Max heart rate, yes, but you can continue to build your cardio forever.

Look at lance, his resting heart rate was (is?) 32 bpm's...

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/henkin4.htm

Aerobic exercise is vastly overrated for sports. You can get an aerobic workout in other workouts, like intervals, supersets, or killer sets like 20 rep squats. Yes, building up the aerobic system will make your body recover better from anaerobic bursts, especially later in the game which can be a deal breaker when you have more left in the tank than the other guy, but it's much more efficient and beneficial to train aerobically while training other energy systems. Get and remain use dto training at high intensity, and you will play the same way

for aerobic exercise to have any benefits, you must do it for at least 20 mins too. that is, keeping your heart rate up for at least 20 mins

Aerobic exercise is vastly overrated for sports.

From comparing those weeks/months when I'm getting into the gym and just hitting the weights versus those times I do the weights plus aerobic training immediately thereafter, I have found I absolutely play better hockey (or sports) when I'm more aerobically fit.

One shift of hockey may be an anaerobic test, but the entire hour-and-a-half of playing stresses your stamina.