Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bane

Anti-semetic comments made by Chelios

Honestly, I don't think Chelios was suggesting Bettman be marched off to Aushwitz. Remember, Chelios isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer and probably just used poor language to suggest that Bettman be canned.

I never made that leap when I heard the comments and I find it hard to believe he used those words because Bettman was Jewish.

I do agree with him that the owners have made it very difficult to bring back the game after vilifying the players during the lockout.

It's not the first time Chelios has threatened Bettman. The guy is out of control. "He needs the gas" is a pretty stupid thing to say.

Not the best choice of words to use to say Bettman should be fired, but we don't know whether Chelios even knew Bettman was Jewish. I certainly didn't realize Bettman was a Jewish name -- Chelios might not have known either.

It's not the first time Chelios has threatened Bettman. The guy is out of control. "He needs the gas" is a pretty stupid thing to say.

Come on, let it go. Everyone else in the world knows what Chelios meant. My assumption is that the person who wrote the article doesn't like hockey and just looks for stuff like this to blow all out of proportion.

Honestly, I don't think Chelios was suggesting Bettman be marched off to Aushwitz. Remember, Chelios isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer and probably just used poor language to suggest that Bettman be canned.

Agreed. I doubt Chelios knew Bettman was jewish, he was just talking out of his ass saying Bettman should be fired. People always read way too much into things.

There was no threat here and the other "threat" you mention was when he said Bettman should be careful and take care of his family in case some fan took things too far. At no point did he ever suggest a fan should do it or that he wanted anything bad to happen.

Chelios shoots off his mouth quite a bit but so do a lot of other athletes.

Considering the author of the story you linked didn't have the decency to put his name on it after making a claim like that, I'm going to assume he's a punk trying to create a controversy. Or an Avs fan. :P

Chelios is an idiot, but I don't think he intentionally made that connection because Betteman is Jewish. Regardless, the media will paint the picture that it was intentional. Another blow for the game.

JJ

Come on, let it go. Everyone else in the world knows what Chelios meant. My assumption is that the person who wrote the article doesn't like hockey and just looks for stuff like this to blow all out of proportion.

Exactly. People are always looking to make something out of nothing. :rolleyes:

before we go and condem chelios. let's take a quick journey in time to the olympics in 98. after the rooms were trashed, furniture busted who stood up and spoke up? chelios. he paid for all the damage himself, no one chipped in a penny.

i do agree that it was not the brightest thing to say. that reporter is a coward for not including his name. some times a reporter will twist quotes and story lines to get his/her article on the front page. i would be deeply saddened if it was a local guy from detroit.

before we go and condem chelios. let's take a quick journey in time to the olympics in 98. after the rooms were trashed, furniture busted who stood up and spoke up? chelios. he paid for all the damage himself, no one chipped in a penny.

i do agree that it was not the brightest thing to say. that reporter is a coward for not including his name. some times a reporter will twist quotes and story lines to get his/her article on the front page. i would be deeply saddened if it was a local guy from detroit.

I do respect him for taking responsibility for the teams actions in Nogano, whether he was involved or not. Also, Chelios has always been really great to the fans. When team USA was in Columbus for the World Cup, Chelios took the time to sign authographs for everyone he could; team USA management had to just about drag him away. The only other player that came close to being as fan friendly was Doug Weight.

I respect Chelios and his ability, it's just sad to see that alot of times he doesn't think about what he is going to say before saying it. When you are in the spotlight you have to be more careful.

The average person has enough conversations over the course of the day that I'm sure at least one thing could be construed as offensive by someone looking to be offended.

Ignore the comments and ignore Chelios, it's probably the worst thing that could happen to him anyway.

By now youd think that the players had learned to watch what they are saying. The media is taking the slightest off comment and twisting it into a big story. The NHL is going to have a hard enough time getting back a good image the last thing it needs is the players making thoughtless coments.