Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ponty

Buyout & Free Agent Thread

Gratton waived:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/feature.asp?fid=10407

Hopefully this means we are freeing up some cap space for Forsberg in the like.

I better stock up on his sticks when I see them at the Pepsi center. God I love that pattern!

The day of 3rd line centers at his numbers are gone.

Tanguay and Hejduk also signed by the Avs. :)

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=2119034

All I have is a French link from RDS, but it appears Montreal has made offers to Koivu, Theodore, Markov & Ribeiro.

Theo is the high end at 4.6 Mil and Ribs got a 1.8 Mil offer. No numbers given for Koivu/Markov.

The Bruins are IDIOTS! God I hate that franchise. They piss off Thornton and Gonchar and now they dont quality Boynton.

Bruins fans dont show up for these morons. If you do you get what you deserve. Crap product and a crap hot dog.

The Bruins are IDIOTS! God I hate that franchise. They piss off Thornton and Gonchar and now they dont quality Boynton.

Bruins fans dont show up for these morons. If you do you get what you deserve. Crap product and a crap hot dog.

If it's true I'm done with that franchise. I agree wholeheartedly. Idiots.

I don't think they pissed off Thornton and Gonchar, just their agent. They are going to qualify Boynton but I think the idea there is to try and get him locked up long term.

The Bruins did not buy out Boynton. They merely did not exercise their team option, but can qualify him for a lesser amount and retain his rights.

Still a bit of a dick move though, since it's only a difference of a couple hundred thousand. Welcome to the cap world I suppose.

---------

Smart move by the Rangers to buy out Holik. That frees up 6.7 million under the cap, which can bring in two very solid players.

Hopefully Holik and Lou Lamoriello can bury the hatchet, since he seems a perfect fit for what the Devils need: a physical right handed center with decent skill and faceoff ability. I hope that my pipe dream of Miroslav Satan on the Devils might come true as well :)

The more I think about it (I'm a Devils' fan in case you couldn't tell), I might walk away from Scott Niedermayer if he's demanding the max salary. Nothing against Niedermayer's abilities, but I think one could use 7+ million more constructively in a cap environment.

The Bruins are playing the same game again. What free agent is going to want to go there. They dont win in the playoffs and the ownership is cheap.

From a PR perspective it has been a very bad start for the Bruins.

And I think someone mentioned it, but Nolan as well

I haven't seen a Nolan "buy-out" latest word had the NHL agreeing with JFJ that his injury happened outside of hockey, and voided the option year of his contract.

Chippa - Last I heard Big Joe was Pissed, Gonchar was just dissappointed.

Did someone say Satan to the Devils! Please let it be so, and please let him where the number 6! Who was that guy complaining about the Devils name? How would he like that - Satan on the back, and reading around from the sleeve - "666"!

Did Gratton or any of the Wings guys end up getting bought out, or were they just placed on waivers? I'm not really sure how it works, but I didn't see an "official buyout" reported.

Did Gratton or any of the Wings guys end up getting bought out, or were they just placed on waivers? I'm not really sure how it works, but I didn't see an "official buyout" reported.

Basically putting a guy on waivers is like "Do any of the other 29 teams want to inherit this contract?" So if a defense starved team like Atlanta wouldn't mind having Derian Hatcher for 3 years and 15.2 million, they could claim him. In that instance, the Red Wings wouldn't have to buy out Hatcher.

But, if nobody bites, then you buy the guy out.

Hey Supa-

They merely did not exercise their team option, but can qualify him for a lesser amount and retain his rights.

I am a little confused by this...I thought a team automatically loses a players rights when he wasn't tendered. Can someone please clear this up..Thanks

an option just means the contract can be entended at a previously agreed amount. If the player does not meet the criteria to become unrestricted, the team can still tender a qualifying offer at the required amount and keep their rights to the player.

O'Connell is really trying to play like the Pats. Take less for the team so we can surround you with good linemates.

I think this is going to be a rough time for him though. Thornton wants the max and expects it. If he's going to brood and pout send him elsewhere and get a good return.

Another interesting outcome of this will be merchandising. Customized jerseys will either be at an all time high or low. I expect high this year with Crosby, etc.

But I expect it to slow as players change places every couple of years. <_<

O'Connell is really trying to play like the Pats. Take less for the team so we can surround you with good linemates.

That would work if anyone would trust him to actualy follow through on it. Given the way the Bruins have operated over the last few years, I don't see that happening right away.

Basically putting a guy on waivers is like "Do any of the other 29 teams want to inherit this contract?" So if a defense starved team like Atlanta wouldn't mind having Derian Hatcher for 3 years and 15.2 million, they could claim him. In that instance, the Red Wings wouldn't have to buy out Hatcher.

But, if nobody bites, then you buy the guy out.

I'm aware of why they were put on waivers. I wasn't aware they were officially bought out.

Signed for 3mill over 2 years. Capable of playing on the first line. Young, gritty and can score. I've got no problems with that.