Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ponty

Buyout & Free Agent Thread

bruins traded draft picks to edmonton for brad isbester

Landon Wilson part II. At least they didn't give up a 1st rounder to get Isbister like they did Landon of the Lost.

Just imagine for a moment the destruction there's gonna be when Adam Foote and Jody Shelly are on the ice for Columbus. Man I can't wait:). Bruins have reportedly signed Mike Modano. The Flyers signed Hatcher and Rathje.

Just imagine for a moment the destruction there's gonna be when Adam Foote and Jody Shelly are on the ice for Columbus. Man I can't wait:). Bruins have reportedly signed Mike Modano. The Flyers signed Hatcher and Rathje.

Oh has Jody learned how to skate and actually play hockey instead of just fight during the lockout?

If the NHL actually holds to the crackdown on hooking and holding of the puck carrier then Foote will be totally ineffective. That is his whole game.

I don't know if anyone noted it yet, but is it me or is everyone being overpaid?

Also to note, you all notice how a lot of the small market teams are making a splash? Only thing they have to worry about is signing guys for too much because that will come back to hurt them possibly.

That would be one of my concerns with the Foote signing. Columbus has a lot of young talent that will be in line for raises.

I think some teams are overpaying, but there is a bottom to the cap as well. Initially it does look like some parity will be reached. One thing I really don't like is teams can go from being garbage to contenders overnight, and it looks like that may be the best way. 2 good young picks take up 1.6 mill (under the rookie camp) and you've got 2 top 6 forwards. This is why I think Pitts can be very good this year. Think Mario, Recchi, Malkin, Crosby, Malone, Kraft, Koltsov, MA Fleury, and alot of cap space. It's weird. I wonder if the "overspending" is because everyone expected these guys to go to the big teams, and the numbers we predicted fit into their cap.

Stevie Y to Detoit, no terms disclosed - no big surprise.

Early in the free agent signing period teams have more room under their cap They guys who don't sign soon will have to take less as there are fewer teams with money left to spend.

This is about what I've expected thus far. It seems odd that people expected players like Foote and Aucoin to be signed for a couple million or something.

I think the NHLPA bought into the concept of the salary cap when they realized there was still a lot of money to be had, it would just be coming from different teams, ie the Columbus' and Atlanta's of the league.

I think the things will get really interesting when one of Naslund, Palffy, Demitra, Kovalev, Kariya, or Satan signs to set the market value for wingers (although Demitra was primarily playing Center for the Blues I think).

This is about what I've expected thus far. It seems odd that people expected players like Foote and Aucoin to be signed for a couple million or something.

I think the NHLPA bought into the concept of the salary cap when they realized there was still a lot of money to be had, it would just be coming from different teams, ie the Columbus' and Atlanta's of the league.

I think the things will get really interesting when one of Naslund, Palffy, Demitra, Kovalev, Kariya, or Satan signs to set the market value for wingers (although Demitra was primarily playing Center for the Blues I think).

I still think Demitra could be the most valuable free agent short of Naslund and Forsberg. He has averaged around a point per game and can play center or wing. The new rules could allow him to have even have better production.

Rags offer Nieder close to max money, Modano to decide today ...

Man what a crazy day! Allison signs with Toronto - take them out of the Foppa mix ...

One thing I really don't like is teams can go from being garbage to contenders overnight,

That aspect is in my opinion the number one reason to have a cap. It forces the talent to be spread around. The whole league will be more evenly matched. More games will be decided through coaching, and effort. A Wild vs Blackhawks game will no longer be a snoozefest. No teams will start a season expecting to not make the playoffs.

How is that not a good thing?

Man what a crazy day! Allison signs with Toronto - take them out of the Foppa mix ...

Who the hell is Rags? Short for a GM I'm sure...but who?

Holik to the Thrashers. $4.25 for the first year. It's a 3 year deal.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/article.jsp...802_122646_4724

Oh why??? Did the Thrashers suddenly get stupid? Can you say over paid underachiever?

Holik is awesome if you use him correctly, ie as a nasty 2nd line center who can shut down somebody like Sundin during the playoffs. The Rangers were dumb to offer him 45 million (luckily the Devils dodged a bullet, because they offered Holik 41).

Holik wasn't an underachiever for the Rangers, his last year he had 25 goals and 56 points while being a +4 on a non-playoff team. If you look at his previous stats, that's pretty much on par for what Holik will put up offensively his entire career.

Obviously, when you're paying a guy 9 million, you expect a little more, but that's the Rangers' fault.

You can't look at a boxscore and truly appreciate a guy like Holik.

A team like Atlanta could use some definite size down the middle, especially when their current centers are a 5'9 Marc Savard and a soft guy like Patrik Stefan.

If Atlanta frontloaded the deal (apparenly 4.25 mil the first year), I don't see anything wrong with this signing. Hell, I wanted Holik back on the Devils.

Man what a crazy day!  Allison signs with Toronto - take them out of the Foppa mix ...

Rangers of New York :)

Man what a crazy day!  Allison signs with Toronto - take them out of the Foppa mix ...

Rangers

Rags = derogatory nickname for the Rangers :)