Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ponty

Buyout & Free Agent Thread

O'Connell is really trying to play like the Pats.  Take less for the team so we can surround you with good linemates.

That would work if anyone would trust him to actualy follow through on it. Given the way the Bruins have operated over the last few years, I don't see that happening right away.

Being a B's fan I feel like Charlie Brown when Lucy says " Trust me Charlie Brown I won't move the ball and let you fall on your a*s! Juneau, Oates, Allison, Kristich, Carter, MacLaren, Guerin, Murray, Rolston, Knuble, O'Donnell, Slegr, and the list continues with Thornton being the icing on the cake.

O'Connell is really trying to play like the Pats.  Take less for the team so we can surround you with good linemates.

That would work if anyone would trust him to actualy follow through on it. Given the way the Bruins have operated over the last few years, I don't see that happening right away.

Being a B's fan I feel like Charlie Brown when Lucy says " Trust me Charlie Brown I won't move the ball and let you fall on your a*s! Juneau, Oates, Allison, Kristich, Carter, MacLaren, Guerin, Murray, Rolston, Knuble, O'Donnell, Slegr, and the list continues with Thornton being the icing on the cake.

Okay, let's think back. Nobody cried when Iafraite came to town for Juneau. Alison, Kristich, Carter, and Guerin all wanted more money than they were worth and I don't think anyone will miss O'Donnell. Not to mention, Carter was dealt for Guerin, a good move. And the draft pick received for Guerin signing elsewhere turned into Bergeron. Alison brought Murray back for a couple of scoring years, another good move.

McLaren, the heir apparent to Bourque that never was, wasn't developing as advertised and was disliked in the room. Not one Bruin went to his wedding the summer before he held out. Slegr was half decent but a healthy Jonathan Girard can fill those skates easily enough.

I cried when the Planet came here. Remember Joe was a 100 plus point per year guy with great wheels. Then the wheels came off.

You can justify the moves the B's have made but in the end it has ALWAYS BEEN about being cheap to make an extra buck. Fans of any sport in any city should not be thinking of the value of signing X player. Thats not sports to me.

I think I'd lean more towards the camp that Jacobs runs the Bruins strictly as a business, and not as a sports team business.

I know they brought in Nylander and Gonchar last year, but about three or four years ago they were they only team of the sixteen to mkae the playoffs who did not make a trade deadline move. I admit a team shouldn't make a move just to make a move -- I'd be bummed if the Sox gave up more of their farm system for a fifth reliever -- but there are times the roster can be improved affordably.

But, even though I'm unhappy that Jacobs has basically drained that franchise, that's still my team. I may root for the Avs 79 games a year, but not 80.

Sportsnet.ca REPORTS THE FLORIDA PANTHERS HAVE SIGNED FORMER TORONTO MAPLE LEAFS FORWARDS GARY ROBERTS AND JOE NIEUWENDYK TO TWO-YEAR DEALS. MORE TO FOLLOW...

I hope it is. Sure they were pretty good last season, but with a whole year off at their age, I'd really prefer to not see them in a Leafs uniform this year. I'd rather the Leafs go towards youth.

Where do you guys find the fastest updates? Or what you think is the fastest way to get your news....Espn, NHL, Team site, TSN?

I hope it is. Sure they were pretty good last season, but with a whole year off at their age, I'd really prefer to not see them in a Leafs uniform this year. I'd rather the Leafs go towards youth.

Yeah, I was pissed at first, but then this clears up space to sign a pure goal scorer. I hope they don't get stupid and sign Modano or somehing.

Roberts and Niewy, GONE!

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=132137

Appernantly $2.25 mill each.

I say good! Both were full of it. "I want to play in Toronto" my ass! You guys are great players, Have some fun in the Sun, but don't say Toronto walked away from you! I heard Torontos been talking to Naslund recently. Of the two mentioned, neither are first liners. Both are second, both are good, but both are old and Niewy (the better of the two IMO) was brittle.

The Blues signed right wing Aaron Downey to a one year contract. He seems to rack up a lot of penalty minutes. Does anybody know anything else about him?

Sounds of it are the Panthers will get older fairly quick. Rumours of Horton (and others) for Thornton. They could go hard after Pronger as well.

- Downey was on that summer training show with Lindros and Roberts. He's a fighter. Can't say much else, I haven't seen him enough.

The pens will be able to pick up a few big names i hope since they have a low cap that will help. Thorton will stay with the B's hopefully and not travel to Florida.

I also heard Mario talking to Tie Domi, an enforcer for Sidney.

i'd rather see mccarty in pitsburgh as an enforcer than domi. he's younger, and in my opinion, he's more offensively talented while still adding plenty of grit and toughness.

now that the leafs lost gary and joe, you think it will open up some cahs to keep nolan? or who else would the leafs get?

Why would they keep Nolan if he's getting surgery?

Nolan is gone, one way or another. It's probably going to end up with an arbitrator making the decision on how much he gets paid to go away.

Adam was playing for less many over the last several years then he could have.

This seems like a move financially for him and his family

Good luck Adam and thanks for the memories!