Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

gopens67

NHLers that started playing late

How did they become so good in such a short period of time? I know many people who started when they were like 5 and won't get past AA.

You also have to remember, most guys that get into a certain sport late usually played other sports during the time before. If you're a good athlete, you can usually be ok in a sport, they just happened to find the sport that was best for them.

I started late also... around 11-12. I think one reason that late starting players might do well is that they are new to the game and these other kids have been playing for a while and are starting to get burned out. Anyways I think one of the goalies started around 13 . It was like belfour or cujo or something, help me out on this one.

Cujo started goaltending at 12........The coach put him in net cause he sucked as a forward

My Atom coach coached Cujo when he was 15, he said he was bush league then but he was a late bloomer.

Bill Ranford only played Bantam A or AA when he was in his second year of bantam

Jovanovski (sp?) started at 11.

Bill Ranford only played Bantam A or AA when he was in his second year of bantam

Woo so there's still hope! :D

Woo so there's still hope! :D

thats what i was thinkin!! :lol:

I heard Joe Thornton played AA up until his OHL draft year. Belfour started goalie at 12. Worrell couldn't skate before major juniors(they taught him how to skate so he could fight).

Worrell couldn't skate before major juniors(they taught him how to skate so he could fight).

Why'd they want him so bad?

Because he was big and tough.

I have a St. Louis Blues Media Guide from the 2001-2002 season. For each player, there's about 20 questions asked including "How old were you when you put on your first pair of skates?"

A few late bloomers included Mike Keane (13) and Keith Tkachuk (16).

Also some VERY useful information is included such as Favorite Sports Drink, Favorite Toothpaste & Shampoo, First Car, First Job, Dream Car, Favorite Cartoon Character, Favorite Olympic Sport, and If I Could Be a Musician, I'd Be.... :D

I have a St. Louis Blues Media Guide from the 2001-2002 season. For each player, there's about 20 questions asked including "How old were you when you put on your first pair of skates?"

Also some VERY useful information is included such as Favorite Sports Drink, Favorite Toothpaste & Shampoo, First Car, First Job, Dream Car, Favorite Cartoon Character, Favorite Olympic Sport, and If I Could Be a Musician, I'd Be.... :D

Don't believe everything you read in a media guide, Shanahan is a perfect example of that. One year he told them he was the backup goalie for Ireland's world cup soccer team and they printed it.

I have a St. Louis Blues Media Guide from the 2001-2002 season.  For each player, there's about 20 questions asked including "How old were you when you put on your first pair of skates?"

Also some VERY useful information is included such as Favorite Sports Drink, Favorite Toothpaste & Shampoo, First Car, First Job, Dream Car, Favorite Cartoon Character, Favorite Olympic Sport, and If I Could Be a Musician, I'd Be....  :D

Don't believe everything you read in a media guide, Shanahan is a perfect example of that. One year he told them he was the backup goalie for Ireland's world cup soccer team and they printed it.

Yeah a lot of that should probably taken with a grain of salt. Media guide hence the word media...it's not like THEY don't sensationalize things.

However Shanny has been known to really BS the media. I didn't know about the Ireland goalie story, but he also said he was in a scene on Forrest Gump and provided the voice of Dino in the Flintstones movie. :lol:

Yeah a lot of that should probably taken with a grain of salt. Media guide hence the word media...it's not like THEY don't sensationalize things.

However Shanny has been known to really BS the media. I didn't know about the Ireland goalie story, but he also said he was in a scene on Forrest Gump and provided the voice of Dino in the Flintstones movie. :lol:

I heard that it was shannahan being traded that killed the whalers....