Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Yakus

Shot Power

Is there any other methods to improving the power of your shot (wrist, snap, slap) without having to shoot 200 pucks a day? Like me alot of people do not have the means to do this. Is there any arm exercises or workout techniques that can improve your shot power?

get something heavy and attach it to a string , and then get like a cylinder shaped thing or like a hockey stick and tie the other end of the the string to that , and hold on to the stick and roll up the weight, its a good forearm workout

How much of shot "power" is attributed to strength and how much is technique?

I have so far been dissapointed in finding any instructional references online or with a book/DVD. I got the Brett Hull DVD but thought it was lacking in certain aspects of puck position and getting deep into technique. I've gotten the most use out of working one on one with an instructor at hockey clinics.

How much of shot "power" is attributed to strength and how much is technique?

I have so far been dissapointed in finding any instructional references online or with a book/DVD. I got the Brett Hull DVD but thought it was lacking in certain aspects of puck position and getting deep into technique. I've gotten the most use out of working one on one with an instructor at hockey clinics.

I'd say 75% or more is technique.

I'd say 90% Technique. Not to brag, but I play on a team where half the guys are about 6+ 200+. I'm 5'8 175 and have one of the hardest snappers on the team just because I can get my hands through the box so quick.

Alot of people say it's technique but I've seen a beginner with decent size launch the puck like crazy. I'm right handed and I shoot left so my shot is weaker than my right shooting friends.

Not the type of guy to blame my curve for a shitty shot, but check ur lie, look at the blade's bottom, if its wearing out evenly then the puck is hitting the right spot of the blade everytime u shoot but if theres more wear near the toe or heal then switching lies might help. Wieght transfer and flex is pretty big too.

Improve your skating.

I'm quite confident I could hit a puck better on dry land than I can on ice, because my balance isn't as good as the top players. A kid on my team weighs 140 pounds if he's lucky, and he dented the goalie's mask on a slapshot from the blue line. I outweigh him by 60 pounds, and I guarantee I could hit a baseball further than him, but my slapshot is maybe two-thirds as hard as his. His balance and technique is so much better.

Is there any other methods to improving the power of your shot (wrist, snap, slap) without having to shoot 200 pucks a day? Like me alot of people do not have the means to do this. Is there any arm exercises or workout techniques that can improve your shot power?

I don't think you need to do 200 pucks a day, but I don't think any amount of exercise is going to replace going out there and just working on your shot. A combination of some attention to your forearms, work on your core muscles, and a lot of practice and working on your form are about the best things you can do for your shot. My school has a rink that's open to students, but there's hardly anyone there, so I've been spending about 2 hours a week with our coach basically just working on my shot, and in 3 weeks I've already noticed an improvement in accuracy and quickness of release.

Alot of people say it's technique but I've seen a beginner with decent size launch the puck like crazy. I'm right handed and I shoot left so my shot is weaker than my right shooting friends.

Usually they launch one and the next trickles off their stick.

Shooting a lot of pucks will help your accuracy as well. Excercises will help give you more strength but it won't make you more accurate or help you get the proper feel for the shot. Go ahead and lift weights but without putting in the time shooting a lot of pucks it isn't going to solve all of your problems.

Also, work on getting your shots off quicker, or while in stride. You can make a goalie looks real stupid when you snap a quick shot top corner while skating full-tilt.

It is sure you can find a way to shoot at least 100 pucks a day, at a park or something. Chadd is right, strengh without accuracy is not good, and shooting pucks really help on getting an awesome feel for the shot and with the puck.

Also, work on getting your shots off quicker, or while in stride. You can make a goalie looks real stupid when you snap a quick shot top corner while skating full-tilt.

Exactly, learn to shoot when the puck is in less than ideal position. It will help in games when you don't always have time to line up the puck perfectly.

At higher levels you essentially never have time to line the puck up perfectly. All of my goals are usually off balance, with a guy on my back, puck on my skates, etc.

how important is it to have a stick that has the right flex and length? i know some kids who have a slapshot that's fast and relatively accurate, even though they don't seem to be working hard shooting at all, it's almost like their stick is doing all the work.

how important is it to have a stick that has the right flex and length? i know some kids who have a slapshot that's fast and relatively accurate, even though they don't seem to be working hard shooting at all, it's almost like their stick is doing all the work.

A dude on my beer league team is about 6 inches shorter than me and I have a good 50 pounds on him. He normally uses an 85 flex stealth cut down a few inches with no plug, and I think it's a gaborik pattern. Last game somebody hacked his stick and broke it, but he's our fastest player against a slow team, down late and on the PK. He hollers for a stick and I just toss him mine. 110 flex Z-bubble not cut with a plug, and an inno kovalev blade. This guy got a break and ripped a snap shot high stick side right under the crossbar from full stride with a stick that's about as opposite as you can get from his normal one. With great technique and skills you're going to be able to shoot pretty good even with the wrong equiptment. People who shoot effortlessly probably have their shaft/blade/length setup figured out pretty good, but it's not going to come without a lot of practice.