Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

milbs06

Crosby

It's not work if you love the game and are passionate about it.

e.g. Guy Lafleur?

It will be tough for Crosby to win Rookie of the year if Ovechkin plays like this consistently

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?ID=138268

Can you say "Wow."

Another 4 pts tonight and the game is not over yet. He is singlehandedly winning this game for Washington. And this is against teams that are getting their rosters close to final.

If Ovechkin plays anywhere close to this during the real season, the Canadian sport media are going to have a fit.

They still wont go and put him in the spotlight aslong as Crosby gets a point a game, or gets amazing chances or something. No matter what Ovechkin wont have to deal with all the media attention even if he nets a hatrick every game or has 3 points etc.... Crosby is going to be the media magnet for some time yet. I saw a little clip somewhere about Ovechkin's hatty the other night thats it. It has only been about Steele Town.

Crosby gets alot of the attention around here, but Ovechkin is considered around the same level on Canadian Sporting Networks. The question "Who would you pick in a draft, Crosby or Ovechkin?" still comes up regularly. The general consensus is they are both in good situations. Crosby makes good players great. Ovechkins just a great player. Ovechkin can do it all himself, and likely will do it himself, regardless of who is on the ice. Crosby doesn't do it as much. He's good, but becomes great when put in the right situation.

Crosby gets alot of the attention around here, but Ovechkin is considered around the same level on Canadian Sporting Networks. The question "Who would you pick in a draft, Crosby or Ovechkin?" still comes up regularly. The general consensus is they are both in good situations. Crosby makes good players great. Ovechkins just a great player. Ovechkin can do it all himself, and likely will do it himself, regardless of who is on the ice. Crosby doesn't do it as much. He's good, but becomes great when put in the right situation.

I live 90 minutes from Washington DC and I don't hear jack about Ovechkin. Meanwhile I'm 4 hours from Pittsburgh and I hear about Crosby daily. Nobody really knows who is going to be better in the long run as we sure as hell can't compare how they play on the ice because the Pens have Benched Crosby both times they played the Caps this preseason. Coincidence?

Exactly my point...The Canadian media will have a fit (Be mad). They are all for Crosby and you don't hear much of Ovechkin out of them. It will kill them to see homeboy not dominate as much as Ovechkin (Not saying that will be the case).

SOOOOOOOOO True.

I missed the Caps game tonight but caught OT and the shootout on the replay at 1:30AM. AO had a laser in the shootout, pump fake with the leg and right under the crossbar from the hashmarks. He has a freaking laser of a shot.

I missed the Caps game tonight but caught OT and the shootout on the replay at 1:30AM. AO had a laser in the shootout, pump fake with the leg and right under the crossbar from the hashmarks. He has a freaking laser of a shot.

I think I need to see this shot. If this shot can make you babble like that, it must be one helluva shot.

If, as some scouts say, Malkin has surpassed ( :blink: ) Ovechkin's level, I think we're in for a real treat and a parade of exciting players to watch for the next decade. That in mind, Russia scares me (Kovalchuk/Malkin/Ovechkin) - yikes. Images of Bure/Fedorov/Mogilny.

And can we all just agree that both Crosby and Ovechkin are special players in their own respective rights? By all accounts, both are living up to expectations, and at this rate, it's probably going to be difficult to tell who's really better until each guy hangs up his skates for good (or are 10+ years into their careers)...

That being said, there is an abundance of talent locked away in some players (read: Daigle, Stefan, Kraft) that just don't know how to use it at the NHL level...

EDIT: Saw not just the goal, but his play from throughout the night. Wasn't too impresed with the goal, but his play with the puck...wow. I am sold on this kid. He is dynamite. I will have no problem rooting for him as long as he keeps his attitude in check and doesn't pull any of that WJC bullshit. And dear god, please lose the friggin' reflective/tinted visor already.

EDIT: Saw not just the goal, but his play from throughout the night. Wasn't too impresed with the goal, but his play with the puck...wow. I am sold on this kid. He is dynamite. I will have no problem rooting for him as long as he keeps his attitude in check and doesn't pull any of that WJC bullshit. And dear god, please lose the friggin' reflective/tinted visor already.

I didn't see his goal in the third period, just the shootout goal. It wasn't as pretty as Crosby's but it exploded off his stick. He also had a one-timer in OT that was on net before anyone had a chance to blink. I'd like to see him in the hardest shot competition at the all-star game next year.

EDIT: Saw not just the goal, but his play from throughout the night.  Wasn't too impresed with the goal, but his play with the puck...wow.  I am sold on this kid.  He is dynamite.  I will have no problem rooting for him as long as he keeps his attitude in check and doesn't pull any of that WJC bullshit.  And dear god, please lose the friggin' reflective/tinted visor already.

I didn't see his goal in the third period, just the shootout goal. It wasn't as pretty as Crosby's but it exploded off his stick. He also had a one-timer in OT that was on net before anyone had a chance to blink. I'd like to see him in the hardest shot competition at the all-star game next year.

Yeah, the boy's got a release like all get out. Did you see the goal against Brodeur on the 11th? Filthy quick.

Weird you mentioned it because one of the last talking Heads show I saw commented on how the area he needs to work on most is his shooting. :angry: From the Games I've seen it doesn't need much work at all! I've heard he's actually a really good kid, I saw a few SNet interviews/specials with him, and I heard his house in Washington doesn't have a TV, so he just hangs out at a sports bar all day and watched hockey games. Their coach was also really complimentary or his work habits in practice, especially the shoot-out drills.

Malone seemed to have a fire lit under him after being a healthy scratch against the Islanders, 1-1-2 for Malone on the night (2-1-3 for Crosby).

Wow that Pens/Flyers game last night was one of the most exciting games I've seen in a long time (even with 0-0 score heading into the 3rd.) First time I've been able to watch a full game with Crosby. I guess he is officially a hockey player now, eh? Nice to see him overcome the facial and get the OT GWG (although I was personally hoping for a shootout). Great head's up pass to him breaking.

My other option was to watch the Blues/Columbus game..... my choice was easy.

:o Yeah, thank god for face cages! Whats that face about tho!?!? lol :ph34r:

Ovechkin Vs Crosby.......... I dont think i could pic between them yet! They both seem to be playing well!

I think you must factor the situations for both players into any comparison....I think Ovetchkin is given the green light to go whenever he decides it's time, while Crosby is being used in a more controlled fashion. I think as time goes on and Crosby matures, and his confidence grows, he too will be given the "green light" more and more.

Based on Ovetchkin's play on both sides of the puck, I think the Capitals coaching staff has said.."he knows better than we do what to do out there" and is just letting him go play as he sees fit. Crosby however has been more "brought along" up to this point to determine how he will best fit in to some kind of system....Maybe just the difference of a couple of playing seasons.

In the game last night where overtime was being dominated by the Flyers, Crosby was invisible for most of the overtime play(not that he was out there the whole time)....I wondered at the time if they were "hanging him" for just what we saw...apparently that was the plan.....

Thank goodness for the Pens, that MAF played the way he did to get the Pens that single chance.....maybe Fleury is maturing too...If he plays up to his potential, the Pens could definitely become a difficult team even without dominating defencemen....But they are definitely going to have to control the puck in their own zone better than they did last night....there are only so many miraculous saves in any goaltender.

I don't know MDE...

Just watching the Isles game the other day I saw Crosby try to rush it and beat guys going through them w/ dekes, taking unlimited risk. He lost the puck each time.

Maybe he means in the offensive zone..... Ovechkin will dangle and Crosby will make a nice passing play.

I love Crosbys vision and how he sees the ice. It really is special. But all I mean is that when I did see him to try to beat guys going through them or take things into his own hands, he couldn't do it.

He can beat them wide though. He has to learn that he can't dance around everyone and should just drive to the net most of the time.

I think Crosby is the better all-around player.

Alex O is a great finisher.

If I was to pick between the two it would be Sid.

Speaking of, doesn't he wear a mouth guard?

Actually I think Crosby's "problems" with trying to take it all alone..are more mental as yet....he has still a problem with making the commitment to doing it alone.....I think he feels a bit guilty trying it yet(even when encouraged to do so, and in the right situation), unless it is a set play as in last night's game.....I have seen that a lot from talented young players who can beat everyone in practice, but are still a bit hesitant to appear too "showy" in a game....so their comittment to the moves and play is not quite 100%.

Until they are 100% comitted to their moves and going it alone....they will tend to get stopped more often than not...However I think the talent is there with Crosby to make the same sort of moves as Ovetchkin, just lacking a bit of confidence...this will change over the next few weeks/months.....like I said, the difference is maybe a couple of extra playing seasons for Ovetchkin.

I agree with the game last night. Very exciting, although Hatcher was owning Crosby after that hit he had on Hatcher, although the Hatcher-Crosby incidents were mostly cheap shots. Any one else think it was a little from-behind?

Also, Crosby needs to learn to control his temper. The little tantrum he threw after Hatcher high-sticked Crosby in the neck was uncalled for. He needs to learn that the referees won't change your mind, even if your jersey does say CROSBY 87. And the tantrum resulted in an unsportsmanlike penalty.