Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Crazy Otto

College hockey players/parents: what would you do?

Here's the situation:

Some of you may remember from my previous posts that my daughter is a HS senior, and she's getting recruited by several colleges and universities with D-1 women's hockey programs. She has been on a few "official" visits and her situation as of today boils down to basically three choices:

1. Accept a full ride at a small, lesser-known university (I don't want to name the schools here) with a good (not great) hockey program.

2. Accept a much smaller, only partial scholarship offer at a prestigious East Coast university with an outstanding hockey tradition and a very large roster. Most of this school's scholarship $$$ went to three other girls recruited by this coach who play forward, same as my daughter. They're all very good, and have been to the USA Hockey national festival camps at Lake Placid, and since only two forwards currently on the team are graduating in 2006, my daughter would have to compete with these three girls and the other upperclass forwards for a chance to even play.

3. Continue to wait and hope that the right offer comes along from another school (the risk here is the schools with the top hockey programs are making their choices now and if you wait too long, the right offer might not come along).

My daughter wants to go w/ option #2, thinking that she can out-work some of the other girls and win regular playing time, and eventually get more scholarship $$$ in future years. My wife and I are worried that she might be disappointed if she does this and goes there and doesn't get to play. The money's not the crucial factor for our family, just finding the right fit.

What would you do?

What does your daughter want to major in? I would pick the school with the better academics. Not to burst your (or her) bubble, but having a degree from a good school and earning good grades will probably take her further than being on a good hockey team.

What happens if an injury takes her out of the game, permanently?

Not to sound insensitive to her goals of playing college hockey, but what about academics. There aren't any pro level womens hockey programs, are there?

Being a parent myself, I would want a sound academic program first, sports second. But if all things are equal on that front, is there a possibility of a redshirt situation with option 2? Do they do that with womens hockey? Could she play some type of club hockey to keep her skills up while waiting out the year? Sounds like a tough choice, does she go with #1 and play tons and the team has some success, and hope she didn't miss a lifetime chance to play for a powerhouse team. If she thinks she can out work the upper-classmen, go for it. What is the possibility of transfering to the other school after the first year if it doesn't work?

In any case, good luck and wish her the best..

I agree with the point about academics being the top consideration. Trouble is, it's hard to separate. The East Coast school (option #2) clearly has the better academic rep, but as her parent I wonder how well she'll do there academically if she's not playing hockey.

I don't know anything about redshirting. I believe you are allowed one transfer without losing a year of eligibility, and it does happen with some of the girls in these programs.

If money were a consideration, I'd say option 1 makes the most sense, as it allows her to earn a college education, which will take her much farther in her life than women's hockey currently can.

However, if money is not a crucial factor, and the East Coast school actually has a better academic reputation, then that might be the better option -- provided she truly understands the potential pitfalls to this choice.

Therein lies the problem. My children are younger, but one thing I've learned is just because I say something doesn't meaning they really listened.... ;)

anyone who has the chance to play at a high level..will often choose the better team at times..

I know my share of women who started at a powerhouse D1 school and make the switch to a newer D1 program a year or 2 later once they were tired of getting zero ice time and falling behind the hotshot recruits each year..and still received a great education...

I'd go option 1, that means 2 is the right answer. :D The tough part is that she has to be on-board with any decision.

My recommendation is to go with the best education.

One thought, a coach is going to give scholarship kids the opportunity to lose their spot on the team. That means the 3 who got the larger amounts will get more of a chance to make it. If there are other non-scholarship gals on the team, your girl could have a shot to outplay them but would really have to wow the coach to beat those who got offered the big bucks. The reason being, no school wants to feel that they are giving away tuition and getting nothing in return.

I agree with the point about academics being the top consideration. Trouble is, it's hard to separate. The East Coast school (option #2) clearly has the better academic rep, but as her parent I wonder how well she'll do there academically if she's not playing hockey.

I don't know anything about redshirting. I believe you are allowed one transfer without losing a year of eligibility, and it does happen with some of the girls in these programs.

Things usually work the other way around when it comes to education and college sports. With practice schedules, road trips, and the like it is tough for many college athletes to maintain their focus and work ethic when it comes to the academics.

Things usually work the other way around when it comes to education and college sports. With practice schedules, road trips, and the like it is tough for many college athletes to maintain their focus and work ethic when it comes to the academics.

Not necessarily true. For many athletes (although more often the guys than the girls), playing a sport in college is the proverbial "carrot" leading the horse. It is a way to get students who otherwise might lack the focus to perform athletically and academically to budget time because it is at such a premium. As a whole, athletes do better than the average student simply because their day is structured not to include many of the distractions regular students have the luxury of.

To the original poster - You won't be able to make the perfect decision right now, simply because school 2's (East Coast hockey power, possibly an Ivy?) coach probably won't give you much of an honest answer whether she will make their team. Your daughter will choose school 2 based on name and prestige, which is fine and could work, unless she doesn't make the team, at which point she will think it is the wrong school regardless of academic and career benefits.

What other posters have said about scholarships is true - she has almost no chance of beating out a scholarship player. A full ride player is an investment for the coach and school - time, money spent recruiting, money spent on tuition for a player that they expect to better their program. It sounds like School 1 has made a commitment to your daughter and School 2 is only willing to give her a little, possibly a roster spot.

Redshirting should not be much of an issue, especially in women's sports, unless your daughter is planning on spending 6 years as an undergrad. It's not like men's sports where an extra year may help you sign a pro contract.

I would NOT wait too much longer to commit, find out what their deadlines are. Most schools that will offer a scholarship have done so by now, and if they have any left, they are waiting for someone they really want. Find out a deadline that Schools 1 and 2 have on your offer and make your decision by then, or you risk them offering your package to someone else.

In women's college hockey, some schools (the haves) have the luxury of overrecruiting, and there's not much you can do about it. They'll bring their scholarship players in, and then have their pick of the rest. Does she like both schools as schools (meaning no hockey in the equation)? That should be a key factor. You said that money is not the main issue. She needs to pick the right place with and without hockey. College is often what you make of it, not what the college makes of you. Good luck to you and your daughter.

i play in the NCAA and id say #1 for women #2 for guys. why? there is no pro hockey for women and these are her last 4 years of competitive hockey, true, but she needs a good job somewhere else. If the East Coast is say UNH and the small one is say RPI, why would you even compare? job is going to be her life, not hockey, remember this. plus i think she'd like it better putting 30 pt sup at the RPI school than 3 at the UNH school

go option 1 she'll get to play and enjoy college better.

redshirting as ygold11 said is done mostly in mens sports ie football and basketball. it is designed to give the freshman (most cases) and extra year of eligibility when there is very little chance that that player will play that season. it can only be done once. the other type of redshirt is medical, the injury has to be seasoning ending and the school must apply for it. it is not always granted.

transfering (as far as i know). if she was on the roster and she transfered to another school to play on thier team she would face the following: SIT OUT one full season including not being able to work out with the team. and LOSE one year of eligibility.

i could be wrong about transfering. best place to check into this is the NCAA in Kansas City. they would be able to answer both question to the letter of the rule book.

wrong on two accounts. redshirting only allowed for d1 not d3 anymore.

you can transfer as many times as you want, however d3 to d1 sit out a year, (redshirt), d1 to d3 dont have to sit out. if you transfer d3 schools, no redshirt, d1s, no redshirt

if you reshirt, u can practice and do everything, however if you're sitting out a year you cannot

i play in the NCAA and id say #1 for women #2 for guys. why? there is no pro hockey for women and these are her last 4 years of competitive hockey, true, but she needs a good job somewhere else. If the East Coast is say UNH and the small one is say RPI, why would you even compare? job is going to be her life, not hockey, remember this. plus i think she'd like it better putting 30 pt sup at the RPI school than 3 at the UNH school

Sure, if you're a glory hound you would prefer to put up more points playing lesser competition on a weaker team.

ya some girls did a PG yr at my prep, they're playing d1 now

and chippa, i think she would be much happier playing then being a healthy everygame. bad hockey leads ot bad focus in life which leads to bad grades, a huge downspiral, i know this cuz it happened to me

and chippa, i think she would be much happier playing then being a healthy everygame. bad hockey leads ot bad focus in life which leads to bad grades, a huge downspiral, i know this cuz it happened to me

So pouting because you're a healthy scratch your freshman year will affect your grades. If that's the case then the kids attitude and focus wasn't there to begin with.

Just because she's a bubble kid as a freshman doesn't mean she'll suddenly become a bad student. Most programs sit freshman in favor of upperclassmen, but guess what, upperclassmen graduate.

So pouting because you're a healthy scratch your freshman year will affect your grades. If that's the case then the kids attitude and focus wasn't there to begin with.

Just because she's a bubble kid as a freshman doesn't mean she'll suddenly become a bad student. Most programs sit freshman in favor of upperclassmen, but guess what, upperclassmen graduate.

Don't be so critical of his experiences. If you are unsucessful in one facet of your life, it becomes exponentially harder to have a positive attitude and do well in the other parts of your life. Winning is a mindset.

The point is that as much as not being in the lineup shouldn't affect your grades, 18-22 year olds are very tempermental, especially girls. If hockey is important enough to be having this conversation, then it's important enough to worry about.

This is especially true in women's sports and men's "non-profit" sports (sports that make no money and hold no or little professional future - swimming, cross country, etc.). A kid who is 2 or 3 players deep on the depth chart at a big Division I football school can put up with misery and 2 years on the shelf because the investment is worth it - you only need one good season to have a chance at the NFL. What's in it for non-profit athletes? A shot in the dark at the Olympics? No, it's the degree, and possibly some tuition help while hopefully making the best of your college experience by being able to continue something you love. 10 years later, a women's or men's non-profit college athlete will realize, that stuff means nothing on paper now, but it made my life better then and in turn my life is better now.

As I stated before, for many athletes, playing a sport in college is the carrot that leads the horse, in this case motivation to perform in the classroom so that they'll be given a chance to perform on the ice. Don't get me wrong, athletes are given many perks and advantages that allow them to excel, but in the end it still has to come from within.

The problem is the possibility of overrecruiting at the big hockey school. Yea, you're a 1/4 scholie player your first year, but what happens the next year when the coach lands a huge class, and meanwhile you've dressed for 1 game in your career? All of a sudden your scholarship is yanked and you find yourself on the JV team, if you're lucky enough to be at a school where they have one. Take a guess at what the other option is. I'll give you a hint - it doesn't include playing hockey. I've seen it happen year after year, you just don't notice it much because they're generally players who weren't in the lineup anyway.

All the answers you've gotten are hypotheticals, School 1 and School 2. Don't name the schools, because it's not really anyone else's business, but the names and places of those schools really do make a difference. Maybe the small school isn't really as bad a school as you think it is, because off the top of my head, I can't really think of any horrible academic women's hockey DI schools.

Update: last night, my daughter made her college decision, and gave her verbal commitment to attend Boston College. Nothing is set in stone until she submits her application and is formally admitted, and then signs her national letter of intent, but BC's admissions office has indicated she will be accepted. She didn't get the kind of scholarship $$$ we had hoped for, but the BC women's hockey coach told her if she works hard she has a good chance of getting some more $$$ in her sophomore year.

She was recruited by several colleges, including one that offered her a full ride, but chose BC for the academics, the hockey program, and the chance to live and go to school in the Boston area. We're very excited for her.