Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

hip check

When will Yzerman retire?

Yzerman is looking a little slow, and is only getting about 10 minutes of ice-time a game. He's not getting a ton of PP time, and doesn't play the PK. He's asked for a back-to-back night off, and his knee might be bugging him still.

Do you think he'd retire mid-season, or wait til the end?

I've been a fan of his since he was in junior. I've admired his quiet leadership and determination to succeed, even when injured. When he does retire, the league will lose a class guy.

this is why i think one of the new rules in the "new NHL" should have been an age where you must retire. to many guys (yzerman lemieux ect) are hanging on taking up places of great young talent

A rule on an age you have to retire!!! Silliest thing I have ever heard!

Agree. Lemieux at his age right now is still better than half the league. Yzerman's time is coming to an end, but even so, I wouldn't hesitate to have him on my team...

Tough to see these guys get old. I'm a Stevie Y fan, but I think it's time for him to pass the torch. He's had a great ride...please Stevie don't pull a Messier and stick around for too long.

A rule on an age you have to retire!!!  Silliest thing I have ever heard!

Agree. Lemieux at his age right now is still better than half the league. Yzerman's time is coming to an end, but even so, I wouldn't hesitate to have him on my team...

Evidently you haven't watched many Pens games. Mario is fine on the PP or once they're in the zone but he is not skating well at all. The "new NHL" may be fast enough that it prevents players from hanging on too long.

is it just me or does it seem that the older players who were having the most trouble are the ones at 38+ who didn't skate much for 17 months??

did these guys really think the NHL wouldn't change significantly after the lockout? Especially with all the young kids skating for a year in the AHL, learning, staying in game shape, getting confidence..being the man for a year..

even a guy like Turco, now in his 30's..took him a while to bounce back...

Even if yzerman doesnt play he is still one of the best captins in hockeys history and a great leader. He may not help as much on the ice with his play but mentally he helps the players around him. i hope that made sence lol.

i know its rediculus to actually put the rule in but im speculating..and i dissagree with whoever said that mario was better then half the league

i know its rediculus to actually put the rule in but im speculating..and i dissagree with whoever said that mario was better then half the league

That idea is stupid. There is and always will be a niche for the older "veteran" players in this league even if their on ice production (i.e. scoring) is going down. I agree that some of them seem to have underestimated the impact of the new rules + the year off (can you say Hull, Tkachuk, Chelios, etc?) but besides that I´m pretty sure that guys like Yzerman or Lemieux are still legit NHL players. I´m pretty sure there is a legal aspect as well (employment laws) which would prevent such a rule to be enforced anyway.

I think he should retire at the end of the season. Lemieux is doing alright..but He should be retiring pretty soon also.

Thank god Messier did!!!!

I think he should retire at the end of the season...........

I agree. It's great to see he was able to bounce back after his injury, I thought he would be pretty much done after that. Aside from still being one of the best captains in the game, he just doesn't seem to have it anymore. I think this will be his last season.

Evidently you haven't watched many Pens games. Mario is fine on the PP or once they're in the zone but he is not skating well at all. The "new NHL" may be fast enough that it prevents players from hanging on too long.

You're right, I haven't. But given a choice between say...Dan Lacouture (or any other 3rd or 4th liner - guys that make up roughly half the league), I'd be inclined to take Lemieux right now...

Even if this year is horrible for Yzerman, Its still safe to say he's one of the greatest to play the game, and maybe one of if not the greatest on and off ice leader a team has ever had. I cant wait for this man to be in the hall of fame, as I think its obvously very well deserved.

ok i love stevie wonder yzerman and everything, i loved the wings when they blew, ever since i was a tyke. steve shouldve hung them up in 02 gold medal and cup in the same year. hind sight is 20-20 though, when canada wins gold this year in italy i think the wings should give it all to win the cup one more time, for stevie

You're right, I haven't. But given a choice between say...Dan Lacouture (or any other 3rd or 4th liner - guys that make up roughly half the league), I'd be inclined to take Lemieux right now...

That leads me to another idea. Will we see both, Mario and Steve in Torino next year? I don´t think Team Canada needs both of them. I´d rather see Spezza or another young center play instead of one of them.

That leads me to another idea. Will we see both, Mario and Steve in Torino next year? I don´t think Team Canada needs both of them. I´d rather see Spezza or another young center play instead of one of them.

They should both pass on the Olympics but I think only one of them will have the class to do so.

I think Team Canada should bring Yzerman along to skate with the team in practice and be around to help in the dressing room, but leave him off the roster. I don't think he'll accept a spot if they offer it to him. I think that kind of patronage would embarass him, and he's too classy for that.

I think Team Canada should bring Yzerman along to skate with the team in practice and be around to help in the dressing room, but leave him off the roster. I don't think he'll accept a spot if they offer it to him. I think that kind of patronage would embarass him, and he's too classy for that.

Agreed.

I think even he knows it's his time. I've been a fan since I was a kid. I use to have Yzerman posters plastered all over my walls. It's tough being a wings fan in Chicago. Fortunately I was visiting family in D-town when they last won the cup. It was wonderful.

He's one of those players you hate to see go, but he's done a great service to the NHL. Unfortunately, no one can win against time in a physical sport like this.

Hey guys' Yzrmans time is coming to a end. Durning the games they are showing him alot on the bench. I heard a month ago #19 and babcock were not getting along because Yzerman felt he was not getting enough ice time and babcock responded with he needs to step up his game. That has to be tough for Yzerman a new coach comes in already is sitting him. But the game has changed. I have NHL center Ice and Except for the idiot refs and inconsistant calls, the game is very fast and exciting. Im making the wife watch hockey every night :lol:

No doubt that's a harsh reality any player comes to, let alone one of their 'go to' guys for the past 15+ years. They are used to the ice time, the PP and PK situations, the final minutes of the game...

However, I look forward to watching the new crop of players that will fill his skates.