Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

99civ

Roller Hockey=Stick Handling?

Over the years ive seen people play Roller in the off summer then they come back to the ice and their hands are amazing. I've personally never have played roller but have some nice NEXED? Skates that ive used for street. Im currently on an off year just playing in a mens league twice a week, should i join the roller league? It cant really hurt can it? My rink ice/roller has that sport court too so its a nice place...But for the question, does it improve hands?

I think it does, but that's just my opinion.

There used to be a really good article on Roller hockey and the effects it has on the ice game on Epuck. It was written by Justin (from this site) and it was a very good read but I can't find it now on EPuck. I'll keep looking and if I find it I'll let you know.

But yeah, roller hockey in the offseason can only improve your ice game.

I think it does, but that's just my opinion.

There used to be a really good article on Roller hockey and the effects it has on the ice game on Epuck. It was written by Justin (from this site) and it was a very good read but I can't find it now on EPuck. I'll keep looking and if I find it I'll let you know.

But yeah, roller hockey in the offseason can only improve your ice game.

I go back and forth from Roller to Ice....I would say roller has improved my stick handling considerably.

This won't be the same for everyone but for me the ice stick handling was difficult to grasp when I started playing. The puck was heavy and slid around way too much for me.

When I started playing roller I had to learn to move and control the puck. (if that makes sense). Since the puck would stick more than ice and literally get stuck I had to learn to manipulate the puck more.

All of that made it possible for me when I returned to ice to be able to control the slide of the puck and keep it closer on my blade...hence improving my stick handling.

I will also agree. My hands are very quick with a roller hockey ball, and it only makes my hands better for ice hockey.

The extra time and space you get in inline hockey allows you to work on your stickhandling more.

Yes it will improve your stickhandling but you'll have to readjust when you'll hit the ice back, like 2-3 ice times. I stickhandle fast with a real puck on the ice than with a roller puck, I don't know why, maybe it's just because the puck doesn't slide as much. I like roller, not as much as ice, but I found roller help a lot your on-ice vision, like chadd said, you can take more timne with the puck and that's why you can see more the ice.(but I found it helped a lot when I came back to ice) You also help your confidence with the puck.

The more I wathc the NHL, it seems as if It has become a little more like roller hockey in the sense of spreading out the game and not using the dump and chase method as much. This would be because of the elimination of the two line pass rule. Many roller hockey fans say that they would like to see an NHL with out an offsides or with out an icing, It would be the pretty passes and more of a possesion game, with the hitting. Think the NHL would be better without icing or offsides?

yeah i feel that handling roller pucks has improved my confidence with the puck thise year, i played roller in the summer and now am playing ice. The only downside is roller puck is lighter, so those laser shots with a roller puck will not happen with an ice puck, but you get used to it eventually

if you are playing a lot of roller and not a lot of ice..before you go back start to use something heavier on the side ala smarthockey or sweedish ball to get your hands used to the feel of the ice puck...

really???

i play roller and started to use a ice hockey puck in my garage outta practice

when i get back to rink practice or game

the roller puck is crazy light and my stickhandling improved

anyone else get this ?

really???

i play roller and started to use a ice hockey puck in my garage outta practice

when i get back to rink practice or game

the roller puck is crazy light and my stickhandling improved

anyone else get this ?

Yup. Same here.

I would love to see that article by Justin though, that outlines the effects.

I still am looking...still can't find it. Dammit. <_<

I'd like to take a look at that article if someone finds it.

When I started rollerhockey, I played with a ball. When I finally started using a puck, the biggest challenge was keeping the damn puck flat!

Unlike ice, rollerhockey on anything other than tiles or polished floors will cause the puck to grab and stand on edge too much. (I played on smooth outdoor concrete). With the roller puck, I was forced to learn to cradle the puck better and put a slight spin on it while stickhandling, as well as while passing. It made me more aware of the feel of the puck and that definitely improved my stickhandling ability.

My favourite roller puck to use is the RDX/Mylec puck. I find it has a nicer feel and weight vs. the standard IDS pucks. I prefer to use this to mess around in my basement as a training tool, more so than the wood/smart stickhandling balls.

I also have to admit that maybe my illusions of roller effecting my skating so much was dead wrong.

I would agree that playing roller does affect your skating in ice, well at least it affected me. I just find that with roller you have to take your strides in more of an up and down motion rather than to the sides more like ice. Plus you don't have the extra toe kick with roller. However, roller did help me in finding the right angles to approach the boards better, so i think yes, playing roller does affect your ice skating to some degree

if you're not playing on tile type floors and are looking for something a little heavier that is more ice like, look for the ProPuck, if its still in production...since its also vulcanized rubber..the feel is quite close and out asphalt, concrete etc it plays well..when it hops up on edge, you just have to cup it and it sits flat..ala ice as well