Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

teamriot38

Penalty Shot

Gerry Cheevers used to be a guest commentator on the B's telecast, and I remember one in which he discussed penalty shots / breakways. He said there were two things that made it difficult on the goalie: speed and movement.

He said a lot of guys slow down once they've beaten the defensemen, but that helps the goalie adjust. He suggested coming in fast and maintaining it.

He also suggested that coming down the middle lowers your options. He suggested coming down one side, then either cutting across the net or deking that way. I think what he meant is the goalie is probably expecting you to cut across, so he's almost too eager to spring across, but when you come straight down the middle the goalie is more balanced.

If you really watch them, about 1/2 of the goalies can not move laterally to save their life. If you have one of those, come in full speed and go left to right.

The triple deke that I learned from the Might Ducks movies has really been working for me :lol: .

But seriously, I always look to shoot first. I like when the goalie comes way out of the net because as he backs up into his net, I watch his legs and skates. The instant I see him put more weight on one leg, I release a quick snapper (while my feet are moving) low on that side. Since more of the goalies weight is on one side, it is harder for him to kick that leg out to make the save. As long as I put my shot where I want it to go, it works everytime.

First post in a while.

Well any ways,

Im LH so i got a few skate wide right side cut across the front toe it into my skate kick it out shoot.

Straight in open up the face of the blade pull it to the backhand and stuff it in.

If im playing a weak goalie i skate right in stickhandleing in front of me and while im in close push it to the forehand and let it hit the blade and act like it is going to my backhand and let is slide in.

Go in right side cut across toe it in pop it out and a quick snapper.

Edit: Typo

It always increases your chances anytime you can get the goale moving laterally...

nobody's better at missing these than me so I should know

i had my first penalty shot ever a little while ago

i did that crosby kick ,faked the forehand shot ,brought it backhand ,then forehand and slid it under him

i try to keep my feet moving as much as possible because a lot of people tend to slow off to shoot then i either kill em with a wrister or fake the shot and deke

I'm RH. I start with a charge to the left, then fake a forehand, bring it into the crease, fake a backhand then bring it to the other side and let it sail right in.

I've never had a penalty shot, but I've had 3 or 4 breakaways this season. Mind you I havn't scored on any of them. My problem is they wern't entirely clean breakaways, meaning I couldn't slow down to kinda control myself and I couldnt do any hardcore deking because the defender was close enough that if I did and toe drags or anything, the backchecking defender could knock my stick away. Anyways, I had to go in full steam and all I could do is quick forhand backhand moves and shoot. What do you guys do if you've got someone backchecking hard on you but its still a breakaway? I know I try and protect the puck with my body (I'm LH) so I kinda position my body but then the goalie can pokecheck it easier. So far I've hit the goalie in the chest or legs everytime. :blink:

In practice I usually try a bunch of crazy moves I can't really do then after screwing them up 3 or 4 times I'll go in and just shoot without deking, it works alot of times cause my goalie thinks i'm going to screw up anyways. B)

I'll usually semi-fake a shot to one side, freeze the goalie up thinking I'm going to his right, then pull the puck and slide across the other and go backhand.

I almost always try to get the goalie moving, let him do the work! I've seen some guys come down and just try to pick spots. Some goalies you can away with that, but most I've seen, if you aren't tremendously accurate, you aren't gonna beat a non-moving goalie.

I almost always have the most success when I shoot early, quick wrister high glove side. It's kind of strange, since most goalies are better glove side, but it works for me.

Lately I've had some luck showing a shot high glove, then moving to backhand and sliding it under their pads as they try to slide across. I dunno, there's a good B-league goalie I've been practicing with, maybe I'll ask him what he hates the most. ;) Though I've noticed he really hates side-to-side movement; if you can get him moving one way and cut the other, he has trouble making the save.

I'll look to shoot glove side high. If nothing is there I'll fake the shot, pull the puck to my backhand and go high on the stick side.

I've never had a penalty shot, and haven't even had a breakaway except in pickup games in a long time. When I do get breakaways, I try to have a plan when skating in but I look at what the goalie's doing and sometimes change it. For instance if he's deep in his crease, I don't try to deke, just pick a spot and shoot for it. If he comes way out, I fake a shot and try to freeze him, then deke and go wide.

One thing I see among a lot of guys taking penalty shots at the level I play is that they skate in a straight line from the center ice faceoff dot in on the goalie. You watch the NHL players in shootouts, they almost always swing outside the area that the zam cut, and then back across to try and get the goalie moving.

on every break away that i've had i have done the same thing that has worked for me (it always tricks the goalie out, but once in a while i mess up the shot)...

i'm righty and i goe in slightly to the left but not much, i make it obvious that i'm gonna try to deke to the backhand but just as the goalie goes for it, i bring it back to the forehand and roof it.

either that or if the goalie doesnt bite the bait for the backhander, jus put it in

I was watching the NHL network on the weekend and they had a special on penalty shots from the season before the lock out. Seemed like 8/10 times that the shooter actually scored, they faked shooting 5 hole to get the goalie to bite just enough to get around for the deke.

This seems to make sense since if you don't sell the shot as a threat coming in, the goalie can just play the deke and out wait you. But then again, I'm a D-man with no hands so what the hell do I know?

Slapshot

Original...I like it

Im right handed, so i will go down the left, as i cut across, look for a wrister top left shelf. But if the goalie does not give the gap then

1) stick handle a couple of fakes and move to the right and roof

2) as you cut across the goalie may shuffle, giving the five hole

3) turn backwards, and either swith back and go to the right or backhand

There are loads of other options from here, but these are my favourite and most effective. I never go down the middle lane as goalies love it. The tirck is to move the goalie to get the gp, and going down the middle definately doesn't do it