Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

teamriot38

Penalty Shot

Here's the situation you're awarded a penalty shot or shootout shot. 1 v 1. What is your shot selection? I was just curious if there is a pattern in shooters. I had my first penalty shot awarded to me the other day and went backhand high blocker side. Worked like a charm. What do you look for while carrying the puck in?

first thing i do is look to see if the goalie is giving you anything, i always look to shoot first, then if i dont have a hole , i deke to the backhand and bring it back to the forehand and just tap it in , worked everytime last season on breakaways.

my goalie likes to give a lot of high glove space cause his glove hand is so quick. If I'm going up against a quick confident goalie, i'll deke that i'm biting on his baited spot and shoot top where his glove previously was or avoid it all together. Smart hockey, know the opponent.

i usually do what rausch does, or i skate in on the right side(im LH) and i move to the middle to get the goalies legs moving, quick fake and then let it go 5hole

i like it but avoid too much 5 hole. alot of goalies will bait the 5 hole and slaqm it shut quicker than some of my ex's

I always go in straight on, look at the goalie, see how far hes out, go in, leg kick fake the shot, deke to backhand or forehand. Works every time

I'm RH and I swing a little out to the right. Around the hash marks I start to cut hard to the middle and here's where the read/react part starts.

If he sticks tight to the post, I cut hard across the net and roof a backhand.

If he leaves the post I slam on the brakes and tuck it iin on the short side.

If he opens up to push hard from one post to the other I throw it five hole on the backhand.

One of those options is always open.

RH shot, so i start out on the left, start cutting in quickly watch if he follows me across i go one hand and reach around on the opposite side (left side) if he doesnt I either skate hard to the right stop and shoot top corner or when coming in from the left do a little stickhandling and then shoot 5-hole.

5 hole.... Saw someone do it i the last game i played! Did it all in slow motion..... Looked sicK! Then he skated pased our bench laughing and pointing at us so we had a bench clearence. But anyway 5 hole is where i shoot!

My favorite shot selection is similar to Chadds. I'm a lefty, I will go in wide on the right side. Depending on what the goalie leaves open as I cut to the middle, I can either, make a quick shot 7-hole on the far side, shoot it short side if the goalie is leaving to much space, or go 5-hole as the goalie is moving his legs. Like Chadd said, one of those options will always be available.

The simple changing of the blade's face plane and a dip of my shoulder, then tucking it 5-hole if it's open or shelving it.

Gerry Cheevers used to be a guest commentator on the B's telecast, and I remember one in which he discussed penalty shots / breakways. He said there were two things that made it difficult on the goalie: speed and movement.

He said a lot of guys slow down once they've beaten the defensemen, but that helps the goalie adjust. He suggested coming in fast and maintaining it.

He also suggested that coming down the middle lowers your options. He suggested coming down one side, then either cutting across the net or deking that way. I think what he meant is the goalie is probably expecting you to cut across, so he's almost too eager to spring across, but when you come straight down the middle the goalie is more balanced.

My favorite is one of the following:

(I am a righthanded shot)

1.If i am coming in on the right side i get the goalie to try and poke check it and either toe drag it around his stick far side (always open) or just pull it back and roof it.

2. If I am coming in on the left side I do the fake shot leg kick thing to get the goalie down, and cut across the crease and just tap it in.

Both work everytime.

My favorite is one of the following:

(I am a righthanded shot)

1.If i am coming in on the right side i get the goalie to try and poke check it and either toe drag it around his stick far side (always open) or just pull it back and roof it.

2. If I am coming in on the left side I do the fake shot leg kick thing to get the goalie down, and cut across the crease and just tap it in.

Both work everytime.

If I tilt the toe over and make it look like I'm going to toe drag the goalie is usually halfway across the net before I can even shoot, leaving the short side WIDE open. It really sells them that I'm cutting across.

I go straight down...get close...then throw my glove, if he doesnt bite.,..then my other glove...not yet...my elbows then take my jersey off...by that time he just lets me have it...

actually a lot of the above listed by some of these guys are great ideas... just be sure what you do, you CAN do. Try to have a shot that leaves you two options at least. Chadd had a few...

I personally shoot left... cheat left ...look to drag across and if he leaves the post like chadd says///... stop and put it in short side.... two options sometimes three if 5 opens way up

I agree with SalmingUSA, on the comeing down the middle part, 9 out of 10 times the shooter dekes when he comes down the middle with the puck in front of him. Our Goalie pokechecks fools who do this all season long (and it lookes embarrasing aswell :P )

I'm a lefty and I always carry the puck as if I'm about to shoot a wrister, to contain the goalie and buy myself some time, then fake the shot, backhand-fake back to forhand roof dady.

Sometimes I do the triple-move 5hole, or just maintain speed, quick lateral movement and then backhand.

I like how everyone says "everytime"...isnt the goalie stop percentage something like 87%>?

I didn't say that I scored every time, I'm not that good. ;) All I said is that the move works every time.

RH shot. I skate towards the left then kind of cut to the middle, fake a shot and then tap it between his legs. Or you could fake the snapper, back hand toe drag then back hand top shelf.

I like how everyone says "everytime"...isnt the goalie stop percentage something like 87%>?

Yes, that's what I was thinking...

And the otyher post you made was probably one of the funniest I've read, the part with the gloves and jersey off. lol that was funny.

I just like, you know, go between the legs like that cocky kid Marek Malik...

honestly, I think shot first, and think deke second. I shoot right, and usually it's just a quick back-and-forth followed by a quick snapshot high glove. Hey, if it works for Hejduk...hahahaha

I had I think my 1st penalty shot this year.I (Im RH) came in looking to go high glove but he had it covered real well and his five hole was wide open so i put it there and scored. If i dont shoot I like to come in wide right and kinda hold it behind me as a cut across the front of the crease, and the goalie useually moves more with my body and then i roof it high glove side. If he sticks to the post more then i pull it across and go backhand high blocker or tuck it five hole as he moves. Saw a cool one last week at a ushl game. The guy came in backwards and as he got to the goalie the goalie tryed to poke it and the guy put the puck underneath the goalies stick as the goalie poked. All while this is going on hes turning around to face the net. As he gets the puck back after putting it under the goalies stick he goes top shelf while the goalie is down and out.

The worst part of my shooting game over the past 10 years is never taking advantage of the five-hole. I'm always looking at the four corners. As a RH shot on a breakway I try to keep it simple. Usually a quick shot and a prayer if I see an immediate opening on one of the four corners. If not I'll either overexaggerate a fake forehand (hope he bites!) and tuck it inside the post backhand. Or dip the shoulder to go backhand and slide it back forehand inside the post. I used to be so much better at breakaway moves years ago...then I became a defenseman so nowdays most of breakways are limited to warmups. :D