Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

EBondo

Is this possible?

My friend Mike (Mike The Goalie on here) were talkin today, and we've been wondering. Is it possible for someone who plays in Juniors, such as the OHL, to jump to the NHL in the middle of the season? Or is there some type of rule that does not allow it? I know about Jeff Carter and Mike Richards doing it with the Phantoms of the AHL for the playoffs last year, but is it allowed in the NHL?

Last season (03-04), the Pens called Fleury up from his junior team to play. About halfway through the season they sent him back down to avoid paying him a bonus.

No it is not possible. A player could play in the playoffs for an NHL team after his Junior team was eliminated from the playoffs, but a player cannot be called up while his Junior team is playing.

And Fleury was not called up last season, he started with the Pens and then began to not play so well so they sent him back to Junior. You are allowed to send a player back to Junior.

and then began to not play so well so they sent him back to Junior.

Or the Pens didn't want to pay him his full salary. It had nothing to do with his play.

No it is not possible. A player could play in the playoffs for an NHL team after his Junior team was eliminated from the playoffs, but a player cannot be called up while his Junior team is playing.

That's what I thought, but we weren't sure. Thanks

And there's some sort of games played limit they have at the beginning of the season before you can send them down.

And there's some sort of games played limit they have at the beginning of the season before you can send them down.

The limit is not when you can send them down. The rule I believe you're thinking of is if a player plays 10 regular season games in the NHL, that counts towards the first year of their pro contract. Hence, if you sign a guy to a three year deal and ship him back to his jr team after he has played 10 or more games, then the next season he will be on year 2 of his deal. If you ship him back before he has played his 10th NHL game then he would be on year 1 of his deal come next season.

Are you sure? For whatever reason I want to remember at the time Niedermayer was starting for the Devils, they could only play him for so many games before they would have had to keep him the whole season. Maybe that's what ties into the contract or I'm drunk off tea at work here.

I'm pretty sure Chippa is right. And actually, I believe it totally had to do with his play when he got sent back to junior. He had a lot of trouble after a hot start, and even had trouble when he went back to junior. They didn't want him to get shelled. Maybe money had a little to do with it, but he was playing very poorly when he got sent down that year.

Are you sure?  For whatever reason I want to remember at the time Niedermayer was starting for the Devils, they could only play him for so many games before they would have had to keep him the whole season.  Maybe that's what ties into the contract or I'm drunk off tea at work here.

It's not that they would have had to keep him had he played so many games, it is that they basically would have lost a year on his contract had they sent him back after he'd played 10 games.

Here's the provision in the CBA:

(i) In the event that an 18 year old or 19 year old player signs a Player Contract with

a Club but does not play at least 10 NHL games (regular season and/or playoffs)

in the first season under that player's Player Contract, the term of his Player

Contract and his number of years in the Entry Level System shall be extended for

a period of one year, except that this automatic extension will not apply to a player

who is age 19 according to Section 9.2 by virtue of turning 20 between

September 16 and December 31 in the year in which he first signs a Player

Contract.

(ii) In the event that a player signs his first contract at age 18 and has had his Player

Contract extended pursuant to Subsection (i), and such player does not play at

least 10 NHL games (regular season and/or playoffs) in the second season under

that player's Player Contract, then the term of his Player Contract and his number

of years in the Entry Level System shall be extended for one additional year.

I'm pretty sure Chippa is right. And actually, I believe it totally had to do with his play when he got sent back to junior. He had a lot of trouble after a hot start, and even had trouble when he went back to junior. They didn't want him to get shelled. Maybe money had a little to do with it, but he was playing very poorly when he got sent down that year.

Last night on CBC they were talking about this. The Pens ended up saving something like $3-4 million US by not keeping him up. The commentators were speculating on whether or not they would do the same this year. Besides, when in recent years have the Pens put anything, especially players, before saving money?

Ok, off topic and more rhetorical than anything but why the hell isn't Schremp on the Oil's roster? He's wasting away in junior.

I'm not saying they wouldn't have saved money, but that year he played well in the preseason, and in the first couple games, then he really began to struggle. I remember everyone agreeing he wasn't ready, and needed to be sent down. Are you guessing it was money, or do you remember how he played that year? They did what any team would've done with him, maybe except the Rangers who mishandle talent all the time.

I'm pretty sure Chippa is right.  And actually, I believe it totally had to do with his play when he got sent back to junior.  He had a lot of trouble after a hot start, and even had trouble when he went back to junior.  They didn't want him to get shelled.  Maybe money had a little to do with it, but he was playing very poorly when he got sent down that year.

Last night on CBC they were talking about this. The Pens ended up saving something like $3-4 million US by not keeping him up. The commentators were speculating on whether or not they would do the same this year. Besides, when in recent years have the Pens put anything, especially players, before saving money?

The deal with Fleury was different. Had he appeared in I believe 25 or more games then a substantial bonus clause would have kicked in. It didn't have to do with saving a year of his contract terms as he had already played more than 10 games. He was sent back to juniors because he was too young to be assigned to the minors under the old CBA.

Ok, off topic and more rhetorical than anything but why the hell isn't Schremp on the Oil's roster? He's wasting away in junior.

Mack,

Oli is extremely deep at center. Horcoff, Stoll, Peca, and Reasoner. All veteran pros and Oil leads NHL in face-off % won. Robbie's got talent but couldn't crack that starting line-up yet. He will probably get the standard AHL seasoning year in before the show. Since he is in OHL, he has probably seen SteelTown/Ontario already- beautiful Hamilton. He can visit Pops Kenesky's all season long. My favorite time in Hamilton was going to Grape's Bar after a Steelhawks game. We put down a $20 for 3 Molsons and got back $24!!! I love Canada!!

That's the same thing I was saying about him and Bobby Ryan. But, Bobby wanted one more year in the O, and he sure is doing good. Should be fun to watch in the NHL

Peca is tits on a bull though. Way overpaid for a "used to be" checking C.

I guess noone learned from the Lapointe contract.

"Say, let's give a 20 goal third liner first line money. Sound good?"

"Great idea boss."

Peca is tits on a bull though.  Way overpaid for a "used to be" checking C.

"Great idea boss."

Bobby Holik=$9 mil a year??? :wacko:

Peca is tits on a bull though.  Way overpaid for a "used to be" checking C.

"Great idea boss."

Are you talking about the Boston contract or the Chicago one? :wacko:

I'm not saying they wouldn't have saved money, but that year he played well in the preseason, and in the first couple games, then he really began to struggle. I remember everyone agreeing he wasn't ready, and needed to be sent down. Are you guessing it was money, or do you remember how he played that year? They did what any team would've done with him, maybe except the Rangers who mishandle talent all the time.

he was playing just as well as pitt's backup. it was completely motivated by money, sure fleury had a couple hiccups, but he was playing well enough to be their starter. it's just that pittsburgh was playing badly enough (no chance of making the playoffs etc) that starting their backup and saving a couple million while losing a couple of games because of even worse goaltending seemed preferable to spending more money on something that wouldn't get them anywhere regardless.

Ok, off topic and more rhetorical than anything but why the hell isn't Schremp on the Oil's roster?  He's wasting away in junior.

Mack,

Oli is extremely deep at center. Horcoff, Stoll, Peca, and Reasoner. All veteran pros and Oil leads NHL in face-off % won. Robbie's got talent but couldn't crack that starting line-up yet. He will probably get the standard AHL seasoning year in before the show. Since he is in OHL, he has probably seen SteelTown/Ontario already- beautiful Hamilton. He can visit Pops Kenesky's all season long. My favorite time in Hamilton was going to Grape's Bar after a Steelhawks game. We put down a $20 for 3 Molsons and got back $24!!! I love Canada!!

Hamilton is the armpit of canada