Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MDE3

Invite to "Big Dawg"

Too bad topic was closed..was just going to invite you to come try out for a MLRH team....if you are old enough...or up to it....full contact....most dont bother with shoulder pads...a few wear girdles, 90+ mph slap shots, fighting allowed....Some of the worlds best play in the league.....puck's in your "court".

LOL...

Thanks...but I'm way too beat up to play at that level...plus I haven't put on inlines after I played CRHL, and that is almost exactly 3 years to the day!

I appologised in private..seems i need to do it in public too lol....the message was not intended for you....

LOL...

Thanks...but I'm way too beat up to play at that level...plus I haven't put on inlines after I played CRHL, and that is almost exactly 3 years to the day!

Hey that means you are still younger than about half of the players.... :D .....

Was interesting this year...there was an ECRHL tournament held around an MLRH game at the Firebirds home rink in Pottstown....most of the players in the tournament had never seen MLRH hockey...and many had never even heard of it....kind of blew their minds to see the game played that way.

pottstown...frank mcmanus' team...frank's a good guy, we're in the same organization for PIHA. Personally I'm probably going to the bullets tryout/camp

anyone have any good photos or videos? i'd like to see some as i started playing inline hockey in europe and haven't experienced any other inline hockey.

Are players in the MLRH and other inline hockey leagues considered "pro" and do they get paid? Is playing hockey their full-time job?

Are players in the MLRH and other inline hockey leagues considered "pro" and do they get paid? Is playing hockey their full-time job?

Officially MLRH (Major League Roller Hockey) is currently classed as "AAA".

There is a gentleman's agreement between club owners not to pay salaries to players..however certain players are rumoured to be "sponsored", by companies or individuals to play for specific teams. Players do not give up their day jobs lol.

However.....in reference to the "real men play ice hockey" theme....most ice hockey players I know at this skill level of hockey would not play unless they were paid for it. The guys in MLRH play for the love of the game, and in hopes that eventually the game will once again get enough attention to be played at a true "pro" level. The skill levels of players range from strong "club" players, to ex ice pro(mostly minor league experience) players, ex junior ice players, some former CRHL players, a mix of inline tournament pro players, and some members past and present of Team USA...see www.MLRH.com

In the PIHA league....there are no salaries either..although some "sponsorship" may occur there as well. Many of the players in PIHA (Professional Inline Hockey Association)...see www.proinlinehockey.com....play both MLRH and PIHA..which is non contact, no offsides, no icing, and fighting is restricted by severe suspensions.

There are purses for play at the tournament pro level both regional and National.

anyone have any good photos or videos? i'd like to see some as i started playing inline hockey in europe and haven't experienced any other inline hockey.

Based on the way Hasek was suspended from inline hockey in europe....you are well on your way to having a similar level of play...... :D

The (MLRH) version of the game certainly seems to draw more fans than the traditional version, and there are a variety of opinions as to why. At first MLRH got a reputation for being "goon hockey"(it's been around for 4-5 years) where guys who could fight, and guys who could throw big hits got a lot of attention.

However as the League has evolved, the fighting aspect has diminished to "normal" levels, and the body checking has become more realistic. This in part because the overall skill levels of the league have improved substantially, making players harder to hit, and to where to be competitive, a team must have good hockey players first, and intimidators second. Fans seem now to be more impressed with the speed and skill of the game, with the full checking, occasional fisticuffs, offsides and "icing" ("flooring" just doesn't sound right)..adding more dimension/spice to the game.

MLRH is expanding to England, granted it won't be the same level initially, or have the same backing from sponsors, but it will be one of the better run leagues in europe as it is currently being set up by the same people, Bill Raue etc.

Id love to have a league like that in the Detroit area. As one of the major roller hockey areas in the country, im surprised that we dont even have a team. Hopefully, as roller hockey grows, we will get a team/league, so that MLRH style hockey is open to this market. I know for one thing that there are alot of damn good players in this area that would thrive on the chance to hit, and not get called for it, myself included.

MDE3, From your Description your playing Ice Hockey on rollerblades, but 4 on 4. Roller hockey, when played correctly is nothing like ice hockey. Skills are similar, but i'd compare it more to basketball with hockey skills. This MLRH sounds interesting, but I'd prefer to play Ice hockey over what your describing. Just personal prefrence on my part though.

MDE3, From your Description your playing Ice Hockey on rollerblades, but 4 on 4. Roller hockey, when played correctly is nothing like ice hockey. Skills are similar, but i'd compare it more to basketball with hockey skills. This MLRH sounds interesting, but I'd prefer to play Ice hockey over what your describing. Just personal prefrence on my part though.

Actually the offsides are different from ice hockey to allow more offensive play. I don't know if you remember the RHI, or ever saw it played, but MLRH uses essentially the same set of rules.

The only offside rule involves not passing the puck across the center redline. However even with a teamate over the line, you can still carry it across, just not pass it to them. This allows the offensive separation to be greater than ice hockey...benefiting more open offensive play.

Similarily while on the power play..if the puck is cleared out by the defending team, then the offence must all "tag up" before the puck can be brought into the offensive zone....however..once having touched the redline, the players can be back in the zone before the puck, but may still not recieve a pass across the redline.

"Icing" is the same.

Overall the 4 on 4 with the difference in offsides makes the game more free flowing than ice, but keeps the excitement of contact. For the inline purists who have no desire to see full contact..the MLRH game is considered "heresy".

As far as "roller hockey when played correctly".... ;) it can be more of a quick strike type game(like fast break style basketball) given the ability to pass the length of the rink. The primary difference from basketball being the amount of time spent in the defensive zone controlling the puck and looking for the quick strike.

Id love to have a league like that in the Detroit area. As one of the major roller hockey areas in the country, im surprised that we dont even have a team. Hopefully, as roller hockey grows, we will get a team/league, so that MLRH style hockey is open to this market. I know for one thing that there are alot of damn good players in this area that would thrive on the chance to hit, and not get called for it, myself included.

MLRH has been trying to get teams fielded from Buffalo, Chicago, Pittsburgh, and Detroit for some time..even this next season I believe they are still working on it.(Pittsburgh did have teams the last two years, but the travel is always an issue due to the expense) They would ideally like to have enough teams from the midwest region to have their own division.

For information contact Steve Seeger at MLRH.com

Actually the offsides are different from ice hockey to allow more offensive play. I don't know if you remember the RHI, or ever saw it played, but MLRH uses essentially the same set of rules.

The only offside rule involves not passing the puck across the center redline. However even with a teamate over the line, you can still carry it across, just not pass it to them. This allows the offensive separation to be greater than ice hockey...benefiting more open offensive play.

Similarily while on the power play..if the puck is cleared out by the defending team, then the offence must all "tag up" before the puck can be brought into the offensive zone....however..once having touched the redline, the players can be back in the zone before the puck, but may still not recieve a pass across the redline.

"Icing" is the same.

Overall the 4 on 4 with the difference in offsides makes the game more free flowing than ice, but keeps the excitement of contact. For the inline purists who have no desire to see full contact..the MLRH game is considered "heresy".

As far as "roller hockey when played correctly".... ;) it can be more of a quick strike type game(like fast break style basketball) given the ability to pass the length of the rink. The primary difference from basketball being the amount of time spent in the defensive zone controlling the puck and looking for the quick strike.

Oh how I miss RHI. I lived in the San Francisco area when RHI was around, big fan of the Sacramento River Rats and the San Jose Rhinos. RHI was awesome, the best inline I have seen. Although, I have not had the experience of watching MLRH, so I cannot speak to that.

I live 30 minutes from pittsburgh and I've never heard of the MLRH or any Pittsburgh teams. What is the team names, or where do they play, website, etc?

I live 30 minutes from pittsburgh and I've never heard of the MLRH or any Pittsburgh teams.  What is the team names, or where do they play, website, etc?

The team was the Pittsburgh Snipers who played out of "Hot Shots Arena, a new facility north of Connelsville on 119 south..about 8 miles south of the intersection of I76/70 and 119. However I have heard they are moving to "Born 2 Run" Sports complex just outside of Grove City Pa. this season.

In fact I just checked on the MLRH website and their tryouts are this coming weekend. The facility has it's own accomodations, and the cost of the tryouts will be $55.00 for two days including the stayover. $30.00 for local players who will commute.

You can check out the information at MLRH.com...Pittsburgh Snipers..under "teams"

Oh how I miss RHI. I lived in the San Francisco area when RHI was around, big fan of the Sacramento River Rats and the San Jose Rhinos. RHI was awesome, the best inline I have seen. Although, I have not had the experience of watching MLRH, so I cannot speak to that.

MLRH had a western division 2 years ago with teams in California, Colorado and Arizona. While they are trying to re ignite the flame,..travel costs were prohibitive.

I remember back in the day when one of the major roller hockey leagues was televised... i think it was RHI. I think i still have a tape of an allstar game somewhere...

By the way, the televised league i am speaking of is definately NOT Pro Beach Hockey... that was the dumbest concept i've ever seen.

By the way, the televised league i am speaking of is definately NOT Pro Beach Hockey... that was the dumbest concept i've ever seen.

I remember seeing Televised roller hockey and loved it. Was Pro Beach the one with the ramps behind the nets and you played with a ball? They had a few San Jose players there I believe. My cousin played in that and was in the "trick" competition. That is if were thinking of the same league.