Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sgazi76

Miracle DVD + bonus for $20 at BB!

With that logic you could say the same about the '98 Broncos. You could say that was the greatest moment in football history because Elway got a ring.

last time I checked, hockey is a team sport.

Are you trying to say that that one player got the Flames all the way to the cup and won it?

At least Calgary had pros. This was a bunch of college kids going against the BEST pros of a country that dominated hockey!

A team that spanked the NHL's best with ease...

So...if the Duckies would've won last year, it would've definitely bested Calgary's efforts in '89, and been the greatest moment ever, according to your logic.

Um...I don't know...perhaps a guy by the name of ADAM OATES...hmm...maybe STEVE THOMAS...

Your reasoning is totally wrong. Calgary winning the Cup in 89 is not even close to being the greatest TEAM moment in hockey history - nor is Lanny McDonald winning the Cup even close to being the greatest INDIVIDUAL moment in hockey history.

Thats my opinion I'm NOT trying to change yours, sure I argued it because IMO that was the greatest sports moment. I am not denying what the Olympic team did was great, I agree with you there. I just don't think it's the greatest.

IT sure seemed like you were trying to sound objective, and not on a personal level. Hell, personally, every time I play a game it's the greatest game in hockey history :P

I'm not saying one persons accomplishment is as important as a nations, I'm saying that the whole Calgary team wanted it bad, and Lanny was just leading the way, he really deserved it. Point being, this is my opinion, you are intitled to yours.

Calgary was the underdog, Montreal had a KILLER squad that year, if you can find a way to deny that, I will consider you right.

http://www.calgaryflames.com/history/yearbyyear/88_89.html

Gilmour, Nieuwy, Suter, Mullen, Loob, MacInnis, Fleury, Vernon, etc...

That team was horrible, they're lucky they made the playoffs. :rolleyes:

Montreal may have been a little better but not as much as you say. Teams didn't roll four lines back then and the difference isn't that great.

i think the main reason behind the significance of the movie was the timing. look at the historcal situation around the olympics. The soviet Union was a dominant world power and was a threat to the world, they were becoming the most powerful nation in the world. The US(and north america and for that matter Europe) was becoming more and more worried about what the soviets would do, do they have nuc's, who will they attack etc. and then the olympics role and around and the US beats them. the reason that everyone who was alive in 1980 remebers this event was not because of the hockey aspect, (yes hockey fans will remember it for the hockey aspect) but because of the world/political aspect. it showed the world that the soviets were not as all power and dominant as the world thought. dont watch the movie if you dont want to, but watch the special it goes into why this event was as significant as it was

Up untill the salt lake oplympics id never even heard of the Miracle on Ice thing. But id heard of 72' and other major accomplishments by canadians. Im sure if I lived in The states id think the miracle on ice thing was the greatest hockey moment, and im sure alot of you folks who live in america were born in canada you wouldnt think it was the greatest moment ever. Dont get me wrong it was a huge accomplishment for the USA hockey. It just all depends on where you live really.

In 72 Canada's best players beat the best Russian players. In '80 a bunch of college kids beat the best Russian players.

Guest Datsyuk*13

I just picked mine up 10 minutes ago cant wait to watch it right away here.