Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
cougarscaptain87

Custom Skates / Ice to Inline Conversion

Here is a recent conversion for me. Keith originally mounted a pair of Sprungs on a pair of Vapor IX's that worked wonderfully but were unfortunately a low end skate that just broke down over time with me playing 2 to 3 times a week.

I found a great deal at a LHS and picked up a pair of White RBK 9k's for under $250 brand new and decided it would be time to mount up my Sprungs to it.

Spent the last 3 days (about 6 hours total) doing measurements and attaching the Sprungs the same way they had been on the Vapors and this is how they've come out.

photo2.jpg

thats just disgustingly sick... good job with the mount. it looks spot on.

Did you use t nuts?

Yeah the mount looks just slightly back on that picture but it is taken at a slight angle. I just skated on them around my office on the tile floor and they feel outstanding.

Yep, used regular old t-nuts. I used every mounting whole available on the Sprungs, even the one directly in the back. Figured the more rigid, the better.

Now I just need 4 more black rink rats to match and everything will be clutch.

looks great. What size boot and frame do you have there? Looks like an A6. Those middle 2 wheels look very close together.

looks great. What size boot and frame do you have there? Looks like an A6. Those middle 2 wheels look very close together.

8.5 size. And yes, it is an A6. Those wheels have always been very close together. I'm not sure if I'll really benefit from going to an A7 or not when they come out.

thats just disgustingly sick... good job with the mount. it looks spot on.

Did you use t nuts?

what are t-nuts?

will they fit in regular rivet-sized holes?

Those are the kind of nuts used to put a cage on a helmet.

how are those helmet nuts ? i use those for goalie pads for the toe ties

same thing...those just have the spikes on them. Take the spikes off and they are the ones I used to put a cage on my helmet.

You can also use T-Nuts to mount frames onto skates instead of rivets. You take the T-Nuts and put them in the boot and then screw the chassis onto the boot. I have done it before on skates I don't really use anymore but someone I play with does that for all his skates.

You can also use T-Nuts to mount frames onto skates instead of rivets. You take the T-Nuts and put them in the boot and then screw the chassis onto the boot. I have done it before on skates I don't really use anymore but someone I play with does that for all his skates.

and they work just as well as rivets?

Yup... played on skates that have Tnuts, and they work really well. Good thing about it is that if you decide to change again, you can just swap out the chassis by removing the tnuts and screws.

^^^^ I did this YEARS AGO with some old ice boots and Sure Grip H400s. IIRC I had to go to a hardware store to get bolts/screws long enough to fit through the boot/frame to be able to make them tight enough. Maybe it's easier to find longer, or lone enough, helmet screws now though. Also, IIRC, once I had it all together it worked fine. I only did it that one time; in the interest of time and for convenience, I've had every pair riveted since.

I have an 8 size flexlite12 ice hockey boot that I wanna put a vanguard frame on. I read it should have a medium frame but I dont like my wheels too far beyond the front or back of my skate. Do you guys think a medium will extend pretty far beyond the boot or should I attempt to go for a small? Also does anyone know the difference in length between a med and sm?

Edited by flyweightphantom

Just saw these white Tour Q's on someones facebook album of the Euro Cup. Wondering if he painted them or what... Never heard of custom white Tours.

n692125314_5053557_2221.jpg

Says the players from Uk.

That guy (Rob Shelton) is my coach.

He just spray painted them. His gloves are RBK 5K lacrosse gloves.

I've done something similar with my wicked 3s:

Photo-0081.jpg

Edited by numberthirteen

That guy (Rob Shelton) is my coach.

He just spray painted them. His gloves are RBK 5K lacrosse gloves.

I've done something similar with my wicked 3s:

Photo-0081.jpg

When you spray-painted the toe cap, did you sand it first, and what paint did you use?

I didn't sand it first, but its held out decent.

I tried painting it the first time and as a 'give it a go' sorta thing and they've held up well since september, but i only put one coat on so i would recommend several if you were to try it.

I just used regular spray paint. It was some cheap industrial brand that came in a huge can, 'trade spray-white' was all it said on it.

On the subject of custom skates...

How big a differential do most of you feel is acceptable in terms of frame placement on the boot?

Just had some v10.0's converted with a Vanguard frame, and I feel like the frames are close to a ½inch too forward on the booth.

When I say "feel" it's in visual contrast with frame placement on stock Mission skates.

I know it's okay if the frame isn't absolutely perfect down to the last millimeter, heck even stock icestocks have ever so slightly misaligned holders, but when is too much too much?

They don't feel too bad, but I'm not completely sure,

I honestly have a hard time telling, since I'm currently suffering from the placebo effect of the frames visually being a little too forward, making my judgement bias....

On the subject of custom skates...

How big a differential do most of you feel is acceptable in terms of frame placement on the boot?

Just had some v10.0's converted with a Vanguard frame, and I feel like the frames are close to a ½inch too forward on the booth.

When I say "feel" it's in visual contrast with frame placement on stock Mission skates.

I know it's okay if the frame isn't absolutely perfect down to the last millimeter, heck even stock icestocks have ever so slightly misaligned holders, but when is too much too much?

I had a set of medium hum'ers mounted on a size 9.5 set of Tacks (I posted pics several pages back). In hindsight, I would have purchased large chassis. In order to get them mounted...they had the illusion of being set forward...after skating them now for a couple months, I have no issues with how they are mounted. Bottom line...try to go by feel. If you can't adjust - or they are too far forward, I'm sure you can have them re-mounted. Good luck!

Edited by Makoto