Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
PH_Hockey2

The Things Customers Do

Not for nothing but I'll bet your stories of "The things hockey store management does" might be funnier......well, if some of them weren't just sad. Just guessing here but I don't think I'm far off.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

My favorite thing I have heard recently was not said by a customer, but by a worker at a store....

A customer was buying CCM AS1 skates and the worker told him it was best to come in and get the skates baked right before he got on the ice so they would be warm and flexible. I tried to not say anything until after the customer left and then explained to the worker exactly why you would never want to do what he suggested. 

1 hour ago, Nicholas G said:

My favorite thing I have heard recently was not said by a customer, but by a worker at a store....

A customer was buying CCM AS1 skates and the worker told him it was best to come in and get the skates baked right before he got on the ice so they would be warm and flexible. I tried to not say anything until after the customer left and then explained to the worker exactly why you would never want to do what he suggested. 

There's still shops in Seattle?

There's so many different "guys" that seem to surface everywhere.

Self proclaimed pro guy comes in with no intentions of buying anything.  He just wants to tell you stories of him playing Jr or Pro somewhere while name dropping a few players he grew up with.  You search his name on Elite Prospects and Hockey DB, no hits.

Drug dealer guy doesn't even play hockey.  He pays cash for 10 goalie bags and is the easiest sale you'll ever make.

Price match guy wants you to price match another local shop allegedly selling the same skate for 40% off.  You call the shop up and turns out it's their last pair.  It's a size 13 customer return with no box.  He wears a size 8 and wants you to honor the price.

Old guy brings in his Daoust skates for a sharpening every 5 years.  The leather and plastic is all cracked.  The steel is banana'd to the point where the wheel will hit the jig if you tried to sharpen it.  He insists you do a few passes anyway.

Youtube gear guy spends all of his time watching gear review videos.  He comes in just to complain about hockey stick prices because his less expensive Brooklynites are just as good. 

My kid is going to play in the show guy spends money he doesn't have to outfit 6 year old little Billy in top end everything because little Billy is going to the NHL.  Little Billy hates hockey.

Entitled guy brings in his kid's skates and demands they be sharpened immediately.  You're currently 12 pairs deep with 3 employees sharpening but he doesn't take no for an answer.  He claims his kid is the best player on the team and puck drop is in 30 minutes.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Nicholas G said:

I own three of them. Yes. 

I might have to check it out next time.  Last time I was in WA there were maybe two shelves at the Dick's Sporting Goods at Bellis Fair and a small section at the PIAS in Lynnwood.  I noticed more WA residents coming up to Canada around the time Northwest Pro closed.

3 hours ago, mickz said:

Drug dealer guy doesn't even play hockey.  He pays cash for 10 goalie bags and is the easiest sale you'll ever make.

Love this...recently our company storage area was broken into, they dumped my gear from the wheeled goalie bag and used it to carry out everything else they wanted to steal 🙂

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

21 hours ago, chippa13 said:

Not for nothing but I'll bet your stories of "The things hockey store management does" might be funnier......well, if some of them weren't just sad. Just guessing here but I don't think I'm far off.

I had bought 1X skates once.  The kid selling doesn't bake them per the instructions - which I had to show him.  Then he says as they are coming out of the oven... "after you put them on walk around a bit...  that's what the pros do."  Me:  Nah

16 hours ago, mickz said:

There's so many different "guys" that seem to surface everywhere.

Youtube gear guy spends all of his time watching gear review videos.  He comes in just to complain about hockey stick prices because his less expensive Brooklynites are just as good. 

I've encountered the Internet Research guy several times, who would come in and tell me he did his research on the Internet and wanted a particular product.  Those were fun because then I'd ask him where he found his information, and usually it was MSH.

Then at that point, I'd start to laugh a little bit, then explain to them that I own it.   

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 1/4/2019 at 10:06 PM, Nicholas G said:

I own three of them. Yes. 

The only shops I know of are in the SnoKing rinks and in Play it Again Sports. Would love to know if there is a better place to get gear in Western Washington.

11 hours ago, GunnarStahl said:

The only shops I know of are in the SnoKing rinks and in Play it Again Sports. Would love to know if there is a better place to get gear in Western Washington.

I own the shops in the Sno-King rinks (Renton and Kirkland) and in Everett..... we will also be opening a store in Northgate soon.