Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

gman

kid's gear obsession

Depends where you live, around here Sportchek sells wood ones, I have one for my backup and it has some good whip on it.

*shrugs*

Just call around.

I hated the 5030s those were the ones that would break on me always in the middle of the blade on both sides, like the foam would just explode and inch from the bottom of the blade.

Did you ever find one you liked??

I hated the 5030s those were the ones that would break on me always in the middle of the blade on both sides, like the foam would just explode and inch from the bottom of the blade.

Did you ever find one you liked??

Not really, I've liked the durability of the 2 Koho Torpedos I have, but like I mentioned I switched to a two piece and only really bought the Torpedos after the pattern I was using was discontinued and because they were available at a clearance sale. Funny, how that seems to happen since I just got used to the Koho's and now they're gone too.

As far as the 5030s (now that I think about it I may be wrong mine might have been plain featherlites, I thought they were 5030 Featherlites I can't remember) just in this area I've heard stories of many other players that had the same problems as me, but I've also heard some players that love them. Seems like they're hit or miss. All I know is that the sherwood sticks I had I hated specially at $23 ea.

My brother currently has a PMP 5030 SC and it has held up pretty well with no problems, although a friend with the same stick had the same problem as I did. The newere 5030s seem to be a lot better made than the Sherwood sticks I used in 2003. I also have a friend that has a Easton Z-Carbon that has been pretty sturdy. Unfortunately neither of these guys play as often as I do, so it's not really a good judgement.

For that reason, I'd suggest trying a 5030 and if it doesn't last switch. Shouldn't have too much problems with your sons breaking them left and right, but if you do switch out. The Sherwoods are definitely great starter sticks, Sherwood has always seemed to be more geared towards producing wood sticks than many of the other major manufacturers out there.

EDIT: almost forgot to mention the fact that although I use a 2-piece with a Jagr blade, my backup is the Koho Torpedo woodie with a Jagr curve. Can't get away from something that's reliable like a wood stick.

I love the feel of the Sherwood 5030 wood stick...I've already decided I'm just going to switch back to those once I need to buy new ones, only problem is I have 3 composites that are still going strong, so I can't let them go to waste! A wood stick is really much better for developing wrist/forearm strength and quickness for shooting and stickhandling, and I personally think that they give a much better feeling of the puck while youre playing.

You could just make some deal with him where once he gets a certain amount of goals and/or assists, or does other things right during games, or gets to a certain conditioning or skills point, you'll buy him a "fancy dan" stick (as my dad would say, haha). Although you should encourage him to practice shooting at home and on the ice with the wood one, and just save the nice one for games...that way he will also get the extra bit of training from using a heavier stick.

Even though you will probably have both your boys in hockey, I suggest putting them in power skating lessons as well. I know it helped my skating alot when I was young and gave me a huge advantage in to my teens.

No power skating opportunities around here. I just ordered Laura Stamm's book and DVD from E-puck. They are scheduled for delivery on the 15th. Hopefully they will give us food for thought.

I got my first two-piece sophomore year. Your sons are still growing too fast where you'd have to cut down the sticks and get new ones for composites. I don't know what sticks they make in int or junior for your sons, but make sure they get a stick that they can flex. The bauer 1000's I think are pretty flexable so might be a good choice.

my parents wouldnt buy me nice gear until I got better and old enough to respect it so i wouldnt be having sword fights with my 300$ synergy. I finally got one and they said if my shooting didnt improve theyed never pay that much for a stick again and well, my shooting really improved. same with skates, as soon as i developed a real stride and got some speed and good skating going in about peewee they put me into some graf 502's and the fit was great and theyre decent skates anyways so it helped my skating too. for protective equipment they never really thought about it, they just always got me got me whatever was comfy and protective no matter what the price, especially helmets cause of my concussion problems. never cheap out on protective equipment

i would invest in a koho stick.

Great Sticks.

My local Big 5 sporting goods store has Canadien and Bauer sticks. The Bauers are "elite" models, and the Canadien's are "CPM 8". Not sure how these compare with others.

ops are evil, i have been using a stealth for only a few weeks, now going to a harrow it felt too heavy, i couldnt stick handle, untiil you are a prefect shooter and stickhandler, dont buy one, cause they are gay to re adjust afterwards.

i would invest in a koho stick.

Great Sticks.

My local Big 5 sporting goods store has Canadien and Bauer sticks. The Bauers are "elite" models, and the Canadien's are "CPM 8". Not sure how these compare with others.

Take'em with you to see what he is interested in, just browse around though if you wanted to use the surprise idea. Go grab some tape or something and pretend your looking fora stick yourself, and ask him for his help.

Its tough with kids, because there is more pressure to fit in than with adults. You don't want to be the only one with a wood stick, right?

Christ, when I went into the local arean today there was a girls team leaving, and the hockeys moms are carrying XXXlites!

Whose his favorite player? If its Sidney Crosby, he uses a 2pc system; if its Markus Naslund he uses a woodie, and has forever. Remember the hardest shot competition last ASG? Both hardest shot winners (Souray, Aucoin) used wood.

2 pc users = Brian Rafalski, Brendan Morrison, Pavel Kubina, Ed Jovanovski, Mattias Nordstrom, Joe Thornton (I think), Zdeno Chara, and many others

Wood Users = Naslund, Spezza, Eric Lindros,

So tell your son that if uses a two piece, or a wood stick then he is in some pretty damn good company. And that being the same as everyone else is NOT going to help him improve; he has to be different, because thats what will allow him to excel.

Its tough with kids, because there is more pressure to fit in than with adults. You don't want to be the only one with a wood stick, right?

Christ, when I went into the local arean today there was a girls team leaving, and the hockeys moms are carrying XXXlites!

Whose his favorite player? If its Sidney Crosby, he uses a 2pc system; if its Markus Naslund he uses a woodie, and has forever. Remember the hardest shot competition last ASG? Both hardest shot winners (Souray, Aucoin) used wood.

2 pc users = Brian Rafalski, Brendan Morrison, Pavel Kubina, Ed Jovanovski, Mattias Nordstrom, Joe Thornton (I think), Zdeno Chara, and many others

Wood Users = Naslund, Spezza, Eric Lindros,

So tell your son that if uses a two piece, or a wood stick then he is in some pretty damn good company. And that being the same as everyone else is NOT going to help him improve; he has to be different, because thats what will allow him to excel.

add on Kariya, Kovalev, and Smyth to the two-piece guys.

Mario used wood sticks right? Or towards the end of his carrer did he use composities with wood blades?

here's a chore:

EDIT_-_-_-_- New thread started for this purpose....

Come up with a list of pros who use strictly wood. We can start a new thread if that would be more appropriate. (If the mods move this I won't be offended).

So far we have, Naslund, spezza, Lindros, hardest shot winners: souray, Aucoin, and who else? Anyone have links to the hardest shot videos?? That would be awesome.

He may still be malleable enough that I can encourage his favorite players. We live far enough towards BFE that we have no local pro team. We are about equal distance from San Jose and the LA area.

Not to rain on anything, but did Souray not use a Response Rubber?

And your kid seems to really want a OPS but have you told him he will get better using wood before a super light one piece? His wrists will actually devolpe better with the weight in his hands.

And your kid seems to really want a OPS but have you told him he will get better using wood before a super light one piece?  His wrists will actually devolpe better with the weight in his hands.

I have told him that. But sometimes it is more effective coming from someone other than dad. Honestly he would be thrilled with even a two peice. Anything but the wood one he currently has. We have been watching some stick handling videos, and I keep pausing them every time it says "wood sticks are better for stickhandling" or "wood sticks give be far the best puck feel". I think he is ready to club me if I do it again :rolleyes:

EDIT: He needs to see some of the pros doing what they do with just wood.

Well.. What about a two piece that is not 100% top end, so it still has some weight, and a wood blade? That might satisfy his craving and still should strengthen his wrists.. But then again, if he can't flex it or something and starts flicking the puck then you gotta take it away.

Well.. What about a two piece that is not 100% top end, so it still has some weight, and a wood blade? That might satisfy his craving and still should strengthen his wrists.. But then again, if he can't flex it or something and starts flicking the puck then you gotta take it away.

I had kind of thought of that as well. I have an Easton Ultra Carbon that is pretty much a tank as it is mostly fiberglass with very little actual carbon in it. It feels close to as heavy as any of my wood sticks. It should be around when my grandkids are playing. It just seems like any sort of two peice will be a "gateway" stick to the more hardcore (expensive) stuff.

of course..however slight there is always the chance he will like the 2pc better..I can use an OPS at times for roller..but can't get used to the feel on the ice (TFG was about the only one..and unfortunate with the XN10 because it was a rocket)

how many of the kids are using broken OPS 's as shafts out there?? I always find that amusing..have to have a $200 stick..but can just flip it or cut it and use it as a shaft without regard to performance...

whenever things aren't going right..I bust out a PMP7000 and practice with it...seems to do the trick..pretty flat blade (LeClair)

of course..using a 2pc down the road will allow you to experiment with different lies, curves, patterns etc..

of course..using a 2pc down the road will allow you to experiment with different lies, curves, patterns etc..

That is a huge attaction , for me, to the two peice sticks.....

And your kid seems to really want a OPS but have you told him he will get better using wood before a super light one piece?  His wrists will actually devolpe better with the weight in his hands.

I have told him that. But sometimes it is more effective coming from someone other than dad. Honestly he would be thrilled with even a two peice. Anything but the wood one he currently has. We have been watching some stick handling videos, and I keep pausing them every time it says "wood sticks are better for stickhandling" or "wood sticks give be far the best puck feel". I think he is ready to club me if I do it again :rolleyes:

Hell, I don't think wood stick are better to stickhandle, no way.

Hell, I don't think wood stick are better to stickhandle, no way.

You're crazy. ;)