Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

analog999

Taking ice shavings off your skate every shift

When I was at the game last night sitting behind the bench, I noticed that Modano and Zubov both would knock (or kick) the ice off their skates before going back to their next shift. I've never done this until the end of the game. Does it make a difference? If not, why would they do this?

I do it because whenever the ice piles up on my skate I feel it hinders my turning a bit because the ice tends to catch with the ice on my skate blade and I trip.

I'm with YorkToros. I use a fairly shallow hollow and I need the clearance. It's just habit really. Plus, it's the last place that you want extra weight. I've actually cut my fingers numerous times doing it.

I always take my glove off to do it. I'd rather slice my finger than my TPS HGT's. Where do you play BC Boy?

you got hgt's too jason? didn't know that. I wipe off the blade too, i just feel a lot safer about having no ice on my blade. The ice gets pretty bad where i play

I'm with YorkToros. I use a fairly shallow hollow and I need the clearance. It's just habit really. Plus, it's the last place that you want extra weight. I've actually cut my fingers numerous times doing it.

Extra weight? If you get a sno-cone, what strongman holds that for you?

I just sorta rub them against the rubber carpet when im sitting at the bench. I dont want to risk getting cut, esp with the amount of time my gear marinates in the bag.

I do it on occasion when the entire blade is covered in snow, depending the scenario I will use my glove, sweater covered hand or bare hand. If the sleeves are long enough I go with option 2 because of the rip on my Vapor XXXs and the pain in the ass it was to have to bother with blood during the championship last year.

Im with mack on this, it's a baseball habit of mine..

Yup me too. I dont do it every shift but if I look down and its really starting to pile up I'll whipe em off.

I used to do it all the time until I was wiping off a blade and one of the guys came over the boards on a change and pushed down on my leg. I sliced open four fingers and still have a scar on two of them.

Winfield, it's 15 minutes out of Kelowna.

what level? last year in bantam my team played a tourney there and got 2nd

Midget what team you on?

I used to do it all the time until I was wiping off a blade and one of the guys came over the boards on a change and pushed down on my leg. I sliced open four fingers and still have a scar on two of them.

Reason enough for me to never try it! :o

I have been doing this forever. But I use the toe of my stick along the steel and never my hand! I can't believe no one has mentioned doing it this way. The deal with your gloves off and getting your hand sliced by a teammate is just a moment away from happening with some of the knuckleheads I skate with.

for some reason I get snowballs under my heels and I just use the butt end of my stick and run it along the edge of my skate to knock the snow off. I don't know why I do it but it gives me something to do while I catch my breath.

I just cross my skate over my other knee while I'm sitting on the bench and run my fingers along the blade. I haven't cut myself yet, only a few scratches from when an edge has been chunked by another skate.

I do exactly what you do chippa. I rarely cut myself, and only once did it really bleed. I'm just a little careless sometimes or I'm trying to do it really quick. I don't do it every shift, just when I think about it. I have lightspeeds and they hold snow in holes as well. I usually poke that out.