Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

beaver5

Playing in front of people...

Have you guys ever been nervous playing in front of crowds of people? Like I'm sure most of us have but have you ever been so nervous that its affected your playing ability. Well for me it is.

This is the only year where i really care about whos in the stands and watching etc.. I know its stupid but I cant stand it when i know people in the stands. (like players from other teams and coaches, scouts, etc..)

It just rattles me so hard. Any suggestions on how i can cope with this? Like it feels like everyones watching me in particular and i just cant stand it.

Thanks guys,

P.S. my team is in city finals this week so i really want to get this outa my head quick.

beave, Its really a personal thing on how you get over it, what works for some might not work for others and vice versa...Its a natural thing to be nervous in a big game and when playing in front of people...I played in college in front of some decent size crowds in some big games filled with fellow students and people I knew as well as other teams....For me I try not to think about who is going to be there watching or what the outcome of the game could mean, instead I try to think about the game itself..situations that could come up, players on the other team and their style of play, what kinda system the team runs, and what my role is in the game...Try to think only about the game and what you and your team needs to do to win, dont think or worry about messing up, missing a shot, getting scored on or how youll look if you make a bad play...In the end it dosent matter people are going to remeber who WON, not that passed you may have missed or open net you shot wide on....So basically just mentally prepare yourself for the game the best you can go out there and play YOUR game dont worry or even look in the stands to see whos there or watching...Also try to get a good meal in you before the game, really try and eat well balanced meals a few days before the game, dont drink those energy drinks ie: Red Bulls, etc.. they will only make you more gittery....Instead drink a little water and have some gatorade and water mix to drink during the game, it will work much better for you...If you like music listen to some songs that get you pumped up before the game, its ok to get good and excited, try and get you teammates excited as well and go out there hyped up but under control...Get a good warm up skate in break a sweat and get the nerves out, and try not to take a peek at whos around in the stands....The main thing is mentally preparing yourself for the game like I said above, if you feel your ready mentally and have eatin well which is going to give you the good energy you need youll be fine, Just try and RELAX and dont over think anything...The day of the game dont start thinking about it until you hit the locker room ....And last but not least HAVE FUN, thats the biggest key dont get all tensed up and stressed out about it just have fun with it, so what if you make a bad play forget it move on and do better the next time...Youll be fine...Hope this helps ya a little, remeber HAVE FUN....Good luck, let us know how it goes...

I'm the opposite of you, when there's a lot of people that I know at the games, I tend to play better. I feel more intense in the game, because i don't wanna dissapoint the fans with poor play. I feel that I play much better at home games, because I work harder with the hopes to impress, then I do in away games. For me there's something about seeing a familiar face that makes me want to play that much harder.

They aren't on the ice, so they aren't important. Focus on what's happening on the ice, even do a little play by play to yourself to keep yourself focused. Watch the guys that play your position and look for mistakes or habits the guys facing them are making, you may be able to take advantage of the things you see when you get on the ice. I've played games with TV cameras and people watching (charity game) and with nobody other than the team there and it's always exactly the same for me.

I'm the opposite of you, when there's a lot of people that I know at the games, I tend to play better. I feel more intense in the game, because i don't wanna dissapoint the fans with poor play. I feel that I play much better at home games, because I work harder with the hopes to impress, then I do in away games. For me there's something about seeing a familiar face that makes me want to play that much harder.

Me too. When I invite guests to games, I tend to go balls-out (figuratively). It's harder to play a finesse game when you're constantly trying to hit everyone and everytime you get the puck, you're already on top of it (rather than having it out in front of you). But when you play like that and causing havoc, it's like when you just put the puck on net--good things happen.

thanks guys. I know the people in the stands shouldnt matter but its getting it into my thick skull thats going to be the hard part.

game tomorrow night so i gotta get ready

thanks again

Good luck man.. Just make sure that if all else fails you are having fun out there and if it comes down to it don't let the feel of losing get to you, no matter what anyone says it's just a game.

just pretend theyre are no stands!!

honestly jus pretend it is only ice and ittl be fine.

whats the most you guys have played in front of?

mines 2864 a tournament in Amsterdam 32 teams got to the final and won 4-1 got 2 goals :)

I can't help you. Whether I'm playing or coaching I'm so into the game that I don't even notice the people in the stands. I only worry about what my teammates think of me. I don't want to let them down.

I love playing with a crowd. But most of the time, I just focus on trying to do good and benefit for my team. Something like that is much more important that keeping your mind on the number of people in the crowd.

I had that happen yesterday. I was pressing yesterday trying to impress the D1 college players that I was playing with. It made my game go to crap. When I settled down and quit caring about what I looked like I played much better.

agreed. Everyones gonna play different and I play better with ppl watching weather I know them or not. Seems as if I dont wana look bad I guess weather I know them or not.

Guess Im the exact thing theyre looking for in the NHL, wonder I havnt gotten a call yet :P

I used to play at a rink that had two rinks - one was open skating and one was our hockey pickup league. We always had a lot of people line up and watch us, which was a lot of fun. Especially the girls, we always enjoyed that. ;)

It's funny, I guess I get really focused; when I'm on the ice nothing outside the glass exists for me at all. I can hear my teammates fine, but I literally can't hear anyone in the stands, and I don't know they're there.

Sitting on the bench I can hear people in the stands, but not when I'm actually on the ice.

If you ever start dating a new girl and you ask her to come to the rink and watch you play, you are doomed to have a bad game. Thats just the way it is.

lol-what ever you say :lol:

i play in rem 15 in edmonton.

its an A league for first year midget players. The club im with put in a rule that first years cant play AA. ONly A (rem 15) or AAA.

thanks for all the input guys.

I love playing in front of a lot of people. I do get more nervous, but it is more of a pumped up nervous. I tend to play quite a bit better, not sure why at all. I'm the same way in tennis...if there are other people around me watching me play someone else, i pull off a lot more shots than i would just messing around with a buddy.

i dont know why, but i love playing infront of crowds. i love when the other teams fans are yelling at you and then you score or crunch somebody hard right infront of the stands, doing something like that and hearing them all shut up is great :D . If you find yourself playing bad just relax. Once you can relax, you will be fine. It sounds really corny but the game is supposed to be fun, and if you are having fun when your playing you'll relax, and play better. I told that to our goalie half way through the first period of our playoff game we won (he was stressed like crazy), and he told me it was the best advice anybody had ever given him.

Ya i have to say the only time Ive been nervous at a game, was the first time my, now girlfriend, came to watch me play. And the only reason for that is im one of 2 guys in the the school who play AAA, so people are always saying " hes sick at hockey" so i felt i had "expectations" on me, which is the worst possible thing to think. It ended up well though sniped 2 and had a coupld really big hits in front of the stands lol.