Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JR Boucicaut

NBH ONE90 Initial Thoughts

One thing that is odd, of the 4 that are using them now 3 are using the traditional LS2 (white) holder.

Possible issue with getting new steel.

Or nicely leading into my question, it may have to do with sharpening? JR, have you yourself sharpened the new longer steel, was it easy to do and adjust, finally are you gonna stick to your regular grind?

That's a big concern for me. It's hard enough to get a good sharpening now; I can't imagine what some of those bozos at my LHS will do to the new longer steel.

Guys, I can sharpen a size 3 skate as well as a size 12 skate. This idea of longer steel being a problem to sharpen is a non-issue.

Guys, I can sharpen a size 3 skate as well as a size 12 skate. This idea of longer steel being a problem to sharpen is a non-issue.

:lol: you know i never even thought of that!

Note to self-think! :blink:

jimmy - sorry, I was out of sorts last night and that one kinda hit me below the belt. It's all good.

Miserable - I'm going to have to retake these pics when I get a better camera. The trademark prostock 5 holes are not there (I will add them) but there is about 12 holes under the forefoot - basically into the front tower of the holder.

Steve is most likely correct on why they are switching holders. Much easier to deal with steel that you can get.

Unfortunately, I won't be able to do my regular setup since I don't have access to a custom radius setup (my store doesn't have one). That is why I got the heel lift. I knew my job situation and I knew that I wouldn't be able to grind them, plus last time I skated Bauer I needed the lift as well as the F radius. I eventually pulledthe lift out after a bit. 3 mm equates to a 7/64 lean. These blades look very clean radius-wise.

Cool, that's why I voiced my concerns here.

Miserable - I'm going to have to retake these pics when I get a better camera. The trademark prostock 5 holes are not there (I will add them) but there is about 12 holes under the forefoot - basically into the front tower of the holder.

Thanks JR.

It'll be interesting to see how that works. I may have to dry these skates upside down - the holders are translucent.

Didn't even think about that. The inside of the holder could get pretty funky looking after awhile.

I wasn't going to bake them but now I was told I have to. I've been breaking them in the old fashioned way - wet socks and wearing them around the house.

I wasn't going to bake them but now I was told I have to. I've been breaking them in the old fashioned way - wet socks and wearing them around the house.

is it because the actual outside of hte boot needs to be molded to your foot?

About the free vs. paid guys, its pretty simple, if i pay $200 for my 7k stick i will find a way to say its good, Since i got it for free, i will admit that it has some flaws, such as the fucking sticker warranty, or that it has a crack in the top of the blade (?). But the fact that im using it over sticks that i paid for should show how much i like it. In my opinion you are less biased when you getan item for free, because if it doesnt work for you, you dont care if you arent using it.

OR, you could say that if someone got something for free, they feel obliged that they need to say good things about it because by getting the product from the company for free to test, they might think they owe some gratitude to the company. i wouldn't mind giving NBH some high praise if they threw me a $600 pair of skates for free

About the free vs. paid guys, its pretty simple, if i pay $200 for my 7k stick i will find a way to say its good, Since i got it for free, i will admit that it has some flaws, such as the fucking sticker warranty, or that it has a crack in the top of the blade (?). But the fact that im using it over sticks that i paid for should show how much i like it. In my opinion you are less biased when you getan item for free, because if it doesnt work for you, you dont care if you arent using it.

I didn't even want to know what he payed for it because I might not believe his opinion in the end because he got it for free or not. I just wanted to know what a custom One90 would cost, I'm still searching for new skates so that's why I wanted to know the price..

That's my case, don't know about others though.

At Hockeyforums I read JR saying they will cost about 575, adding the 150 he said in this thread for custom skates I kind of know now what to expect the price will be.

Doesn't having a pair of skates custom fitted for you kind of skew your research results though? When I go in to a store all I am going to get is an out-of-the-box pair of skates (both skates being the same length and width) and not a pair of skates custom fitted to the shape of my actual feet. I understand they want you to bake them but obviously you wouldn't really care to because what could be left to mold since they were completely made for your feet? Not knocking JR's ability to give an unbiased review (I know he has been very fair in the past with such reviews) but knocking Bauer's method by which they outfit their reviewers.

And that is why I have told people to wait til the retail version comes out. It is why I did not change outsoles, stiffness, liners or tongues. It is also why I haven't been able to tell people if the skate would fit them - because the two that I have tried on were not the retail product.

Obviously this will be reflected in my review, but the performance of the product should remain the same, custom or not. The skate will break down the same.

My more important review is the one that is going back to them. I will chart my progress on here like I did with the 8090.

No reason to knock NBH...I am sure that all of their testers are not rolling on customs. All of the mfgrs are very thorough with their testing procedures. They know what they are doing.

Didn't see this mentioned yet JR, how long is the testing period? I assume it's based on hours skated or something close to that?

Since there's no real way to gain any fit information from another person's testing, I'm really interested in the durability of these skates.

I look forward to reading your rolling report. I gotta say I really enjoyed Badkitty's TBlade journal, it was cool to read the stages and adaptations to the product.

I don't know why everyone keeps on asking me this.  Does it matter if I said $700?  Does it matter if I paid $0?

Yes, if you paid $0, your review might be biased as compared to if you had your own money on the line. You have to agree, don't you?

it might also be biased depepending on the price he payed Ex he pays 30 bucks then tries it and likes it..second he uses a differnt product for 15 and its better then product 1 he might re rate the 1st iteam or make a different review on his product 2..

Wow wow wow wow...

Baked them...and the outer boot shape changed...I thought I was seeing things...but it did. The outer "skin"...some squares got bigger and some got smaller.

Skated tonight and spare a few pain under my foot, they felt really good. I definitely need some shorter shin pads (I wear 16s because my S500s are shorter, and they rubbed right above my ankle) I did not have to tinker with a forward radius - the heel lift did its job. I am still kinda concerned about the pain under my foot as I get that with all skates. I may have to try to swap insoles or something.

I was looking at the 8090's but feel like when they break in they will get a touch too wide for me and lead to a lot of rubbing. Also, I feel the 8090's may be a little too deep for me.

I herd on this post that the one90's will be a little less wide than the 8090 line and more wide than the vapors.

Can you give us an idea about the difference in fit from the 8090's talking strickly of the stock sized skates? Or if anybody has herd anything from the Bauer reps?