Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DarkStar50

Worst Week in Hockey:Tryouts

This is easily the worst week in hockey: travel team tryouts. I don't have kids but watch the whole thing play out every year from my perch in the pro shop. The parents act like wolves, the boys get pissed off for not making a team they were capable of playing on last year, Squirts superstars get crunched by 2nd year Peewees(always the worst tryout-Peewee), new kids come in from other organizations and earn/steal spots depending on your take, and the whole process is a money maker for every organization that signs a kid up to tryout.

Any other horror stories the younger guys would like to share?

Well, I'm not exactly one of the "younger guys" anymore... maybe younger than you. My most vivid hockey memory - stronger than that of any goal, hit, award, or championship celebration - was from my Squirt travel team tryouts in 1979.

It was only my second or third year of hockey, and I didn't really have any expectations going in. My parents just wanted me to have fun playing, and I did. At the end of the first day of tryouts, I was skating off feeling pretty good about how things were going. The local superstar kid was right in front of me, and his father was waiting for him at the door as we came off the ice. Right there, in front of all the other kids and their parents, he gets in his kid's face and yells, "WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU?! YOU PLAYED LIKE HORSESHIT OUT THERE!" I remember looking over at my mom and seeing the look on her face, a mix of horror and disgust.

Of course the kid made the team, and was our leading scorer that year. He continued to be the best player in our organization for years afterwards, too, with his father riding his ass every step of the way. By his junior year in high school, he burned out. He had all the talent in the world, but hated hockey so much by that point that he just couldn't do it anymore. I don't think he's played since.

wow, thats a story that pisses me off.

Worst tryout Ive ever gone through I guess would just be being invited to a tryout where Im the 6-7 best on the team but dont make it because the coach doesnt like my parents.

And thats about it

The worst was always my first year moving up because all of the parents would try and pull BS about how I'm only on the team because my dad was the coach, when the fact is, my first year Pee-Wee he wasn't even the head coach because of other coaching commitments.

I mean seriously, he played at West Point, is the coaching directior of the program, maybe his son's a good player because he knows what he's doing. :rolleyes:

I can understand why some parents have problems with situations like this though, because youth sports tend to be pretty unethical. But it's usually the parents that worry about the politics that have kids that aren't good enough.

Well, I'm not exactly one of the "younger guys" anymore... maybe younger than you. My most vivid hockey memory - stronger than that of any goal, hit, award, or championship celebration - was from my Squirt travel team tryouts in 1979.

It was only my second or third year of hockey, and I didn't really have any expectations going in. My parents just wanted me to have fun playing, and I did. At the end of the first day of tryouts, I was skating off feeling pretty good about how things were going. The local superstar kid was right in front of me, and his father was waiting for him at the door as we came off the ice. Right there, in front of all the other kids and their parents, he gets in his kid's face and yells, "WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU?! YOU PLAYED LIKE HORSESHIT OUT THERE!" I remember looking over at my mom and seeing the look on her face, a mix of horror and disgust.

Of course the kid made the team, and was our leading scorer that year. He continued to be the best player in our organization for years afterwards, too, with his father riding his ass every step of the way. By his junior year in high school, he burned out. He had all the talent in the world, but hated hockey so much by that point that he just couldn't do it anymore. I don't think he's played since.

Sounds a little bit like Patrick O'Sullivan's story. His story was beaten to death on draft day (the year he was drafted) but it was very sad and its also sad what parents can do to their children. I hate the term "if he/she was guilty of anything, it was of loving them too much". What a crock. It's like it excuses the parents for being jackasses to their children.

Yhat kinda stuff really pisses me off, it's almost like the parents trying to live through their kid, but in turn completely kill the fun out of every aspect of the sport, some kids play out of pure fear of what their parents will say if they tell them they dont want to play. If someone plays hockey, it should be for themselves

so for you that played other sports how do the politics (coach parent politics) compare? The only thing I can compare it to are basketball in high school or maybe soccer, but it seems like hockey has its own special breed, why is that?

edit sorry this is a bit OT

You're right on for soccer. During select Team tryouts the coach's kid and one of his friends ended up being the starting forwards even though me and this kid named PELE' (PELE' FOR GOD SAKES!!!!!) lead our city league in scoring. We ended up making the team but only as defensive mid-fielders. My coach was more of the problem for us, yelling, cursing us out, etc. I had to run for almost an entire practice after scoring a game winning goal, because I left my position to do it.

Needless to say I quit after 2 years and started playing football (American), my high school lost almost every game but I still had way more fun.

I remember being at a split intersquad game last year. They had basically outlined that I would play AA, but never said anything. I was at the AAA practice the night before and had done well, so I wasn't sure. We go into the intersquad game AA vs AAA and I'm on the AAA team. The AAA coach had told me the night before they'd look at me and made a decision after the game. I played pretty well, laid out 2-3 guys, roughed up their tough guy (oddly a good friend of mine), and had a goal and an assist while being +2 in a 3-2 loss. Afterwards it takes me 45 minutes to track down the coach, as he wasn't coming to our room. I go up, say hello and have to press the issue a bit (although by this time I was pretty sure) to get him to say that I'll be playing AA. Worked out well for me in the end, as his team was a disaster and mine won the league championships and did well in Provincials.

On the other end, being the one doing the cutting, it can also be difficult, but it's always best to be upfront and honest. We usually call each player in individually and discuss our situation and theirs together. Most take it well, if a little hard, but sometimes the parents will surprise you a bit. We had one a few years ago burst into the room with his wife, start screaming, and brought his kid in. Then he forced us to tell him why his son was cut, which isn't a problem. But then he started tearing down other players and asking us to justify keeping them, which then leads to us saying this other players does certain things well (we obviously stated what they were) while this particular kid did not. You try and keep it professional, while not ragging on the kid, but sometimes you have to. At the other end of the scale we've had parents come to us and thank them for the oppurtunity and handling things so well, which is always nice.

I'm only in Monday til 6 but Tuesday/Wednesday I'm in the shop til closing time. We are staying open til 10 pm M/T/W during tryouts. Stop in and say hello but ask for Peter, not DarkStar50! The Bantam AAA major tryouts will be competitive. This team won Nationals last year as Peewee Majors. A couple of Bantam Minors were moved up to Bantam Majors this past season. 3 of the players are moving on outside the area. One of them is headed for Shattucks/St Mary in Minnesota. A very good player and good kid, too. Just bust your nuts and you'll do fine.

I have a couple stories.

The first one isn't hockey, but baseball.

When I turned 13 I played boys baseball. I was stronger than any of the girls that I would be playing with and against in softball and it wasn't fair. I wasn't the biggest girl, but I had been doing weights and endurance training over the winter. So I went to the boys AAA ball tryouts with a buddy of mine.

Anyway, I was trying out for catcher. This was a 13-14 team so I was the youngest catcher trying out.

Well I went to the three day tryouts and I kicked ASS. I tons of blocks, hit just about everything thrown at me and played great defense.

I did end up making the team as first string catcher. There were 5 kids trying out. I was the only girl.

Well a few fathers went BALLISTIC. Some quotes "How the F*** could you get beaten by a GIRL!?"

"I can't believe I just spent $200 on new gear on you!"

"F***ing walk home you pussy."

We won provincials that year and I had a 330 batting average, 55 RBIs and played just about every game.

The three fathers of the sons who didnt make the team came and heckled me every home game. It was just sad.

My brother tried out for a bantam AAA team a few years ago. He's not the biggest kid (actually he's tiny), but he has good wheels and is a SMART hockey player. Probably one of the smartest hockey players I've ever seen.

Anyway, he had a great tryout, but got cut because of politics. The team won 3 games all year. We laughed.

Anyway, he decided that it wasn't worth it to play hockey if he wasn't going to make it anywhere. He's now playing lacrosse and has a scholorship to go to a prepschool down in the States for lacrosse.

NONE of the kids that made the AAA got drafted in the WHL.

Are there open spots, or do they pre-pick the team and just want the money, not gunna waste my time you know?

There are open spots. The 3 players who moved on were 2 forwards and a dman. There were players from the Peewee National team who didn't make Bantam Minor so they always look to improve. Give it a shot. You're only young once.

I can understand why some parents have problems with situations like this though, because youth sports tend to be pretty unethical. But it's usually the parents that worry about the politics that have kids that aren't good enough.

But we're lucky, remembre ; Forsberg's coach when he was young was ... his father ... and he succeded.

Are there open spots, or do they pre-pick the team and just want the money, not gunna waste my time you know?

There are open spots. The 3 players who moved on were 2 forwards and a dman. There were players from the Peewee National team who didn't make Bantam Minor so they always look to improve. Give it a shot. You're only young once.

I am a dman so that's going to be good if I stand out the most, but not as a fool. I don't know what to do though, my organization, I have to show up to the tryouts to be on the team ''A'' team but its the same dates as the first two tryouts for the avalanche...

Last year I coached Bantam A for a team in the CBHL. We held tryouts, evaluated all the palyers, sat down & picked our team. A week later the board/coach in chief gave us our roster that 'they' chose for us and told us we could pick one more player.

Of course, four of the kids on the list were children of board members and only one of them was on our original list. Three of them had no business playing travel hockey and the other kids we originally picked for our A team ended up playing (and dominating) Bantam B or left to play somewhere else. :angry:

The week before first practice one of our defensemen blew out a knee playing football and they still wouldn't let us pull up a kid from the B team.

I did not start playing till I was an adult but have watched my little borthers tryout over the years and they have been interesting. I think my parents did a good job with the boys in that they let them make the decisions of where they want to play and encourage them to do what they want. I will give examples of both.

The older brother. Is still one of the best skaters I see. He has been on the ice several times with former and current NHL'ers and outskated them. When he went straight to Midget Major, we took him to a showcase tournament with his team and were approached by 5 people. 2 were college coaches and the other 3 were from Juniors. He decided a few months later down the road that he did not want to be on a traveling team anymore. My parents supported his decision and let him make the choice. The most notable player at that showcase with him was Phil Kessel. They played against each other for a few years. He took a year off and misses playing some and has signed up for a spring league. I hope he gets back the competetive edge and decides to get back into playing on a major team. With his birthday, he would actually be draft eligdible in 2007. He is a 6'2", 210 Center.

The younger brother has a dream of the NHL. We have all supported him in his decision. He is a freshman at the top high school team in the area and also plays bantam major. His team just lost in the regional championships so they missed going back to nationals. The past 2 weeks have been tryouts for the all district team which we are now awaiting the the final roster to see if he makes it. He plays D and is 6'3", 185. He is the better all around player of the two so we will see how he does.

With both scenarios, my parents allow them to make the decisions and I have never heard a negative comment come out to eaither if their mouths. Well, except about the last coach who an NHL D who really had no business as a coach. His tactic appeared to just be yell Fu** a lot at the kids thinking it would motivate them more.

The predetermined rosters don't seem to be an issue here. A good example of this, a friend of mine had a decent carreer in the NHL. His son was cut from the triple A team that bears the same name as the team he is an Alumnist of. There are a lot of NHL kids on this team and a few were cut this year to put together the best possible team.

Dstar, so what would you do? I am also most likley going to make the DePaul HS Varsity team as it's a new program there. And for my junior year, I am looking into going to a prep school...Seton Hall Prep or Hotchkiss..

What is the other organization? Blues? Bandits? The Avs will give you the best opportunity to see how you stack up with the best local competition. However, I know these other organizations get all pissed off and can keep a player off the team if he misses the first tryout. If you didn't make AAA(just a what if), I'm not sure if Avs have Bantam AA and A, or just A. I will be in the shop tomorrow from 11-3(store hours this Sunday only), so I will check rosters from this past season to see if there was a Bantam AA team. I have all the rosters from the last season's teams. Drop me a PM on Sunday or call the shop.

Peter

Yeah they have a B,A,AA team but I want to play for the Avalanche AAA team or nothing. THe other organization is the Clarkstown Capitals bantam A team. They'll get pissed if I don't go to their tryouts but I want' to play the best hockey.

ugh capitals, please i beg of you dont play for the captials when i played for the bergen xpress there was a kid named Jeff Liva who played for them and i think will be playing for that team this year wanywho this kid thought he was hot shit but everyione except his friend from the capitals hated him he would never shut up and never stop yelling at people for what they did wrong and always bragged hpw he was 100 times better than our coach Gene Katz ( head coach for Don Bosco) but there is a plus side, there is a kid name Matt Murphy whos just an all around good kid.

Murphys awsome, Jeff Liva is a fucking puckhog and played for the Avalanche AAA Major team last year....I have been playing fro the caps for like 3 years now..I am automaticlly on the A team so yeah as long as I go for the tryouts.