Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cantor22

hockey wash

well i am doing a project for my bio class and am going to see if doing the hockey wash will have an effect on the levels of bacteria in my hockey equipment. i am taking test of before and after of every piece and will compare, if theres a significant change it will for sure be worth it, i will post pics and my report at the end if people are interested

Where are you located? I might have some gear to serve as a "control group" for you.... LOL I could use a free wash, seeing as it was my last game last friday night :(

sorry..but if it works it will be making the rounds in shops later on in the year...and it only takes 30 min or so to clean it all..its not water based..

ottawa ontario

I am sooo pro small upstart companies, particularly Canadian, particularly hockey oriented, I am an entrepreneur and hope all the best for these such companies.

However, my, perhaps isolated experience, with Hockey Wash was not good. My equipment, dried religiously on a hockey tree (a really good product), started to take on a wife commenting peculiar odour after about 3 years of no washing. I went to BK sports in Ottawa for a Hockey Wash. I got it back. It smelled great. Within 3 weeks of receiving it back, my equipment not only smelled, it was surpassing my 3-year old smelly equipment by far. There were some Unholy smells coming out of my stuff. After another week of just rank stuff, I did it myself with good old fashion detergent and bleach for bleachable things. It's been 8 months and no significant smell.

Sorry, but perhaps it was a bad batch, but the hockey wash seemed to escalate the stinkiness factor, although it smelled great when I got it back, it stunk faster than I've smelled stuff ever...

ottawa ontario

I am sooo pro small upstart companies, particularly Canadian, particularly hockey oriented, I am an entrepreneur and hope all the best for these such companies.

However, my, perhaps islolated experience, with Hockey Wash was not good. My equipment, dried religiously on a hockey tree (a really good product), started to take on a wife commenting peculiar odour after about 3 years of no washing. I went to BK sports in Ottawa for a Hockey Wash. I got it back. It smelled great. Within 3 weeks of receiving it back, my equipment not only smelled, it was surpassing my 3-year old smelly equipment by far. There were some Unholy smells coming out of my stuff. After another week of just rank stuff, I did it myself with good old fashion detergent and bleach for bleachable things. It's been 8 months and no significant smell.

Sorry, but perhaps it was a bad batch, but the hockey wash seemed to escalate the stinkiness factor, although it smelled great when I got it back, it stunk faster than I've smelled stuff ever...

Maybe the treatment kills off the weak bacteria, and leaves the tougher, stronger, hardier, faster-reproducing ones that can survive in a dry environment. :o

Hopefully his tests will find this out. This is actually a really good idea for my final Bio project, but I'm not gonna steal his idea. And plus it has to be a Power Point or iMovie.

Post the results here! And by all means, try out more than one system. There are two reasons why we wash the gear every few months--keep the smell down AND eliminate the chance for a Staph infection.

sorry..but if it works it will be making the rounds in shops later on in the year...and it only takes 30 min or so to clean it all..its not water based..

Isnt there something like that in Vancouver? Like a huge freezer you put all your equipment into - including your skates and helmet--- and it zaps it for like 15-20 mins?

somebody else touching my equipment?

I would not wish that on anybody...

Watch 24? Yea, that sentox gas?... its made of shavings of my pads.

Watch 24? Yea, that sentox gas?... its made of shavings of my pads.

You killed Edgar!! :o :D

I'm pretty sure my gloves could be considered lethal weapons too. We just got one of the cleaners here--I'll be watching to see if it's worth my $50-$60.

I've tried two equipment cleaning services that are available here in Vancouver. My intention is to help with the following information and not steal your thunder as I'd like to see what your conclusions are. I'll talk about them in the order I tried the services.

1. ESPORTA (Service is available at Burnaby 8-Rinks)

This is the laundry like process that’s endorsed by Walter Gretzky. Costs about $45 Cdn. They can’t do skates or helmets. Takes about 24 hours.

ESPORTA RESULTS

On a scale of 1-10, I'd give it a 5.

PROS:

- The smell is gone (for now).

- I'm less likely to get that crazy skin rash (for now).

CONS:

- My equipment took a beating.

- The velcro closures on my elbow pads are stretched so now I have to tape them to prevent them from popping open.

- The palm of my gloves got real crusty. After one game they were back to normal though, but I can tell the smell will be back...real soon. They also got flattened out a bit.

- Cosmetically, the screened CCM logo on the thigh of my pants is now 80% rubbed off. No biggie for me but some loyal gearheads may not like it.

2. SANI SPORT (Available at The Sports Exchange, Vancouver)

This is a special locker where your equipment is tossed in, doors are closed, and then they pump it full of some magic chemical that kills the bacteria. Cost $25 Cdn. They can do skates and helmets. Takes about 20 minutes.

SANI SPORT RESULTS

I like this option more because they can do it on the spot. And let's face it, it's not tough to kill 20 minutes in a hockey store. On a scale of 1-10 they get an 8.

PROS

- The smell is gone (for now).

- I'm less likely to get that crazy skin rash (for now).

- They could sanitize everything, including helmet, skates and equipment bag.

- Fast

- A bit cheaper

- My equipment didn't take a beating.

CONS

- I don't think the actual "clean" is a good as Esporta, because there is still a small hint of the odor, but definitely it made a big difference.

FINAL CONCLUSION

The Sani Sport system is the one I continue to use. I play about 3 times a week. After each outing I dry my equipment and use Febreeze anti-bacterial. This helps a bit, but every six months or so I resanitize with Sani Sport.

Cheers,

Anyone else use any readily available sprays like Febreeze?

I've been using that on my equipment for over a month and it seems to be good. When I get home I just lay all the equipment out and give all the wet spots and skin contact spots a good spray with a non-odor Febreeze.

My equipment is all brand new so I've only had it for a couple months but I keep my gear in our bedroom and no complaint from the wife so far.

I've been using that on my equipment for over a month and it seems to be good. When I get home I just lay all the equipment out and give all the wet spots and skin contact spots a good spray with a non-odor Febreeze.

My equipment is all brand new so I've only had it for a couple months but I keep my gear in our bedroom and no complaint from the wife so far.

I use Funk Free but it all comes out of my bag after every game. If you don't get it aired out, you're going to have problems no matter what you use.

Your WIFE? Your gear must be really squeaky clean, because I wouldn't wish the smell of my gear on ANYONE! not even my roommate LOL.

Question: What about sunlight? Would laying my gear out in the sun for a few hours kill bacteria? My mom was a biologist and she said that sunlight was one of the most effective microbacterial killer around. Are there any cons? Is my science correct?

I've been using that on my equipment for over a month and it seems to be good.  When I get home I just lay all the equipment out and give all the wet spots and skin contact spots a good spray with a non-odor Febreeze.

Your WIFE? Your gear must be really squeaky clean, because I wouldn't wish the smell of my gear on ANYONE! not even my roommate LOL.

Question: What about sunlight? Would laying my gear out in the sun for a few hours kill bacteria? My mom was a biologist and she said that sunlight was one of the most effective microbacterial killer around. Are there any cons? Is my science correct?

I put my stuff in the sun on the deck out back every chance I get. It's the best possible thing you can do.

Tough to get natural sun light inside your gloves though. As for the off the shelf deodorizers, they're not preventative, they just cover up and buy you some more time.

Sunlight is the best hockey wash. I stuck my stuff out on the deck on one of the first warm sunny days of spring, and the stink from playing all winter is noticably gone. For the gloves, I find the direction of the sun and lean my gloves up against some other pads so the sun shines right in.

I also spray a little mix of Febreeze, liquid laundry detergent on my stuff before I take it out sometimes.

Tough to get natural sun light inside your gloves though. As for the off the shelf deodorizers, they're not preventative, they just cover up and buy you some more time.

I actually have an idea about gloves. I want to see if it wworks before I say anything about it though.

When i wash mine i need a good few days to let it dry, i will put what i can in a near hot as possible bathtub (not too hot, wouldnt want to melt or weaken the plasic inserts) with some normal clothes washing liquid, and leave it till the water goes cold. Take it out, air it, and im good to go for another season xD

When i wash mine i need a good few days to let it dry, i will put what i can in a near hot as possible bathtub (not too hot, wouldnt want to melt or weaken the plasic inserts) with some normal clothes washing liquid, and leave it till the water goes cold. Take it out, air it, and im good to go for another season xD

Last few times I washed my gloves I used capful of Dettol antiseptic to kill the bacteria, and Murphy's Oil Soap, to break down the gunk without drying out the leather. Then I re-moisturized the leather with Lanolin shave cream (Barbasol).