Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bazan110584

Favorite blade pattern

So...just wondering, what's your favorite blade pattern(s) to play with. AND, the all important question, why?

I've tried the heel patterns, great for snaps and slap shots, but for the life of me I couldn't get ANY sort of wrist shot off with it. :P I prefer mid patterns *cough*Recchi*cough*, since I can actually shoot wrist shots with it. I also like slightly open faces, just to get a little air under the shot. I've never tried toe patterns.

I tried everything I could and I've found I like toe curves, which are rare to find.

I like a 5 lie and open or closed doesn't make much of a difference to me I don't think. For the longest time I've had to buy Modano blades and try to curve them myself with varying success, but now Easton's got the Heatley (which is more of a mid-curve, but I think it would work) and Warrior's got the Smyth (which is reportedly a 4 lie, according to their site, but I'm pretty sure it's going to be and play like a 5) the huge toe curve pattern. I'm going to try the Smyth because it seems like a perfect fit.

I don't know why I like toe curves, but when I first tried a curved Modano UltraGraphite blade I could stickhandle with my head up, which is a world of difference playing. The toe curve just worked for me.

lesterhenson Posted on Apr 16 2006, 11:37 AM

Fyi, modano is a mid heel.

I know Modano's a heel, but it's not drastically curved at any one point, so when I curved it it effectively became a toe curve. I could take some pictures, but I don't have a digital camera, I'd have to wait for development. I still have two of my curved Modano blades so maybe I'll try and get some pics.

I just switched from using mid.. recchi and the type curves to a drury curve because of all the hype I've read on this site.. and because I wanted to try a heel since I never had. I have to admit I like it quite a bit. I play D and I don't take a lot of slapshots but none of my shots have suffered as a result of the switch. slapshots have a little more loft then I did with the recchi but I'm still able to keep it below the crossbar. on the plus side lobbing the puck in the air to clear the zone when I have to is a lot better with the drury so for now I'd have to say that is my favorite.

lesterhenson Posted on Apr 16 2006, 11:37 AM

edit-Sorry, misread your post. 

That's cool, it happens B)

right now I'm playing with a yzerman(using an abs blade for roller) and I like the st louis blade for ice... I'm new to skating out(I'm a goalie) so I'm still experimenting with blade patterns.

i use a sakic in easton and draper in warrior, seems to be a good all round curve for shooting. I'd love to try out some radically different curves, especially the Federov but I can't afford to take the risk

I just switched from using mid.. recchi and the type curves to a drury curve because of all the hype I've read on this site.. and because I wanted to try a heel since I never had. I have to admit I like it quite a bit. I play D and I don't take a lot of slapshots but none of my shots have suffered as a result of the switch. slapshots have a little more loft then I did with the recchi but I'm still able to keep it below the crossbar. on the plus side lobbing the puck in the air to clear the zone when I have to is a lot better with the drury so for now I'd have to say that is my favorite.

How did the adjustment for your wrist shot go?

I've been a straight-faced mid guy all my life and when I tried out an open-faced heel, I couldn't keep my wristers below the crossbar. I'm thinking that I gave up on that pattern too early and now I'm interested in experimenting again, mostly because I'm thinking the heel improves the velocity of my slappers.

I have been happy using the Easton Drury for the last few months. I'm disapponted it took me so long to try this pattern, becuase it is sick, especailly for Snapshots and passing.

I'm currently torn between Easton Forsberg or Drury...both fire off great slap shots but I find the Forsberg easier for snap shots (which I seem to do waaay to many of) and backhands...but that could just be beacuse I'm used to it.

I'm thinking of trying a Warrior Fedorov because of it's lower lie...I've got my hands on a cheap broken Stealth from eBay and am going to attempt my own version of the Stealthesis!