Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

millertime99

JR's store pics

JR are those cell phone pics? Also, do you get a computer to use while you're at work?
Yes shot them with my Treo. Internet access is blocked at the store.
Haha small? You should see the "store" here.. I'd kill to be able to shop at store like that.

Yes, it's smaller than our other stores, and my previous store was almost the size of a rink.

I think I've seen that store before once. I walked in and I saw this black dude looking at the register, I knew he had to be robbing the place so I hauled ass and got out of there! Nice place though from the pics smile.gif

That same black man is repairing your skates today. I suggest you be nice to him...

That is a nice looking store. I see almost EVERY type of skate. Something you can't find around here. If I'm ever in Michigan I'm def. stopping by.

See, and this is where I get caught between a rock and a hard place.

I try to buy from my LHS as much as possible, and don't mind paying a little over, but comparing them to that is like comparing apples to swiss army knives.

They have, at most 6-8 different types of skates available. Last time I was in they had CCMs, Bauer and one pair of Easton. That was it.

They have maybe 10-12 gloves, and only have about 4-6 pairs of pants (talking senior sizes, they have about the same for junior sizes also).

When I was getting my skates, they said they could size me, but because they didn't carry E width in store, they would order them, and I had to buy them. Thats fine, but at that stage, when you are buying sight unseen, without an opportunity to try them on, whats the difference in getting them there and getting them online.

Same with pants, I need a 38-40 inch waist, they carry up to XL (although I did see a pair of xxl bauer 4000 recently, but reviews here were not good, so didn't want to get them).

They guys there are nice guys, and I do buy a lot from them, simply because I think they should be supported. I paid $50 for vector 4 gloves, which I may have been able to get cheaper online, but they were right there at the time.

Anyway, what I am saying is, if I had that type of selection in my lhs, I would have no problems getting everything there, but sometimes people don't have that luxury of selection, so LHS owners shouldn't hate us too much for the occasional online purchase, because it doesn't mean we don't support you guys as much as possible, we just can't do it everytime.

Anyway, really nice setup, wish I lived in a more hockeycentric area

That is the same with my LHS's that are an hour away. All 3 suck just as much as your store smokenopancake...

edit - even Cyclone Taylor's in Vancouver wasn't nearly as nice as JR's...

i would kill to even have a LHS in north carolina... i went to sportchek in ottawa and it sucked compared to this.. they had some 2 year old pro tacks and about 10 other pair of skates, and only about 15 pair of gloves... i wish i was in mi.

Ooh! I can't wait to flex all the sticks and rearrange the gloves and try on skates before I buy them on the internet!

Hey JR, I don't want to pry into specifics, but are you guys making money?

The reason I'm asking is I'm guessing the former tenant moved out because they weren't seeing profits. I'm hoping you guys are doing okay so you demonstrate by example that hockey shops can make a fair buck if they manage themselves well.

Cheers,

Here's another question. I don't want to know your salary, but what could a hockey pro shop manager expect to make for starters? I would think around here it would be peanuts, but I have no idea.

JR,

Does your company own Bargain Sports? If so, I just bought some Jofa shins and a Mission Thorax off of you guys. Nice doing business with you. It seems like there is a ton of Jofa protective on ebay now that it is old stock.

Hey JR, I don't want to pry into specifics, but are you guys making money?

The reason I'm asking is I'm guessing the former tenant moved out because they weren't seeing profits. I'm hoping you guys are doing okay so you demonstrate by example that hockey shops can make a fair buck if they manage themselves well.

Cheers,

Perani's was in there before. I never saw it as I was in FL at the time. From what people told me, they closed at 9 regardless of the ice schedule, and they just had a few sticks and stuff in there.

We're doing okay. We've been open for about 10 months.

Here's another question. I don't want to know your salary, but what could a hockey pro shop manager expect to make for starters? I would think around here it would be peanuts, but I have no idea.

Around these parts, expect $10 p/h for a store manager.

I think that is what they pay, and I know B&R paid that.

They will pay more based on experience. Experience is good :)

JR,

Does your company own Bargain Sports? If so, I just bought some Jofa shins and a Mission Thorax off of you guys. Nice doing business with you. It seems like there is a ton of Jofa protective on ebay now that it is old stock.

Yes, we do.

He's smart.

Thanks for filling us in JR. $10/hour...definitely a labor of love! Hopefully the perks are worth it!

Keep up the good work.

<drools> WOW!!! I'm sooo jealous!

There's nothing even remotely similar to that within 300 mi of my location. I'd probably have to drive up to B.C.!

Lucky...

Thanks for filling us in JR. $10/hour...definitely a labor of love! Hopefully the perks are worth it!

Keep up the good work.

I did not say that I was making that. I make significantly more than that...

Haha, I'd hope not, you've got quite a bit more responsibility and worth than the $10 guys (like you said, experience is key). By the way, look for a few new members from the Lansing area. Danielle and I were in the EL store and the manager (I don't remember his name) asked me for the website because he wants his employees to start using it.

I gave up that low-paying crap a while ago. B&R paid me pretty well, Summit does better.

Summit told the mgrs to have them use the site as a reference.

Which manager did you talk to?

I can't remember, he didn't give his name and I don't remember if he had a tag. How many managers do you have here? He is the only one that I have seen.

Thanks for filling us in JR.  $10/hour...definitely a labor of love!  Hopefully the perks are worth it!

Keep up the good work.

I did not say that I was making that. I make significantly more than that...

That's good. $10/hr doesn't buy much ice time! :lol:

What does the job top out at, or is the sky pretty much the limit? (Commission based?) I mean, could I run a busy hockey shop and expect to pull in 75k or even 100k a year?