Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Michael9

Chelios re-signs

The year before the lockout, I really thought him and Shanny should have hung it up. They both were awful that year. Last year they both looked good, though.

hes the julio franco of hockey (plays mlb at age 46)

but to play hockey you must be in way better shape than baseball

I think chelios should hang em up, yes he can still hold his own but the game is changing in such a way that his style of play is no longer effective. He tends to get a lot of dumb penalties. I mean no disrespect to the man because he used to be great but i think he will more hurting than helping.

Care to expand Theo? I've been a Chelios fan ever since I've liked hockey so maybe I'm biased, but I certainly wouldn't put him on the same level as Hull. I don't think Chelios has nearly as many detremental off ice antics as Hull did, and I don't think its ever questionable that Chelios wants to represent America. Hull on the other hand never really gave a shit and it was clear to everyone. As an American, I'm proud to have Chelios rep my country. Look at what he did in Nagano. When members of his team trashed their hotel rooms he paid for it out of his own pocket. I can see how someone wouldn't like him for the way he plays on ice, but I really just don't think he is on the same level as Hull.

Care to expand Theo? I've been a Chelios fan ever since I've liked hockey so maybe I'm biased, but I certainly wouldn't put him on the same level as Hull. I don't think Chelios has nearly as many detremental off ice antics as Hull did, and I don't think its ever questionable that Chelios wants to represent America. Hull on the other hand never really gave a shit and it was clear to everyone. As an American, I'm proud to have Chelios rep my country. Look at what he did in Nagano. When members of his team trashed their hotel rooms he paid for it out of his own pocket. I can see how someone wouldn't like him for the way he plays on ice, but I really just don't think he is on the same level as Hull.

Other than threatening Bettman back in 95 he hasn't been that bad. He plays on the edge and crosses the line every once in a while, but so do a lot of other guys.

BTW-

It took Chelios a month to apologize for Team USA's actions. And at 3000, who knows how much that covered. With the way he portrays himself (which I admit can be misleading because I portray myself horribly on here) it shouldn't surprise anyone if he was in the middle of the destruction. Although reports say his and Suter did not.

Overall for USA's cover player and captain he has acted like a doosh a few too many times.

He gave the people who actually did destroy things time to man up. When they didn't he covered the bill himself. I don't know who it really was but I was told Hatcher and Tkachuk had some involvement. I dont know if that is accurate or not.

What exactley happend?

Broken furniture, discharged fire extinguishers, etc...

Stuff you usually do when your underage and drunk :ph34r:

But on topic. I heard Cheli is not really fan friendly as well. Refuses to sign autographs on any occasions other than team organized (or paid) events. Wonder why that is.

maybe because its a pain in the ass everyplace you go to have people ask you to sign stuff??? so you say no all the time which makes it even across the board..

on the other hand..when he's out with people (ie you tag along with his bro steve and he just picks up the tab, round of golf, etc..) its a different story..as is most players...

Still, it never costs anything to be nice to people and it definitely goes a lot farther. One day he'll be retired and wondering why nobody asks him for his autograph. Out of sight, out of mind.

my only take on it DS is that I dont' think most of these guys care about the spotlight, notably the older ones..

how many of them just go to their old areas or cottage for a while in the summers? Holik lives in Jackson Hole, WY...great place..not much going out besides the national parks and wonders..maybe he wrestles bears??

I've been in cities watching the Yankees play..staying at the same hotel, they won't sign an autograph but they will sit down have a beer and just shoot the breeze...which is better if you aren't selling the shirt on ebay? then at the end they will probably sign anyways

I'm not a chelios supporter but to judge someone on the basis if they sign something for you or not..is ludicrous...knowing enough people who have been on the other side and seen his generous side....I just think it deserved to be addressed..

Ive met chelios and he was very nice and he signed a stick for me while he was watching his sons hockey game. I think its great that hes gonna try and play longer.

you asked him to sign something when he was watching his kids play hockey..totally no-no...let them be dads'...that was Gretz's one rule when he was with NYR..let him do the normal things when he's out (watch the kids skate at SkyRink etc) he'll gladly honor your requests afterwards

I understand and agree with you. Sometimes they don't want to be bothered but it is part of the equation when you go pro. I'd rather have a beer with these guys than jock sniff for an autograph anyday.

The two best all-time hockey guys for friendliness and hi, how are ya, in my experiences have been Bobby Hull and Gordie Howe. I ran into Gordie at the McD's in Southbury, Ct once. A friendly hello was followed by one in return. That is all I asked for and all I needed.