Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

berndog

Cool Pickup Session!

I played a pick-up game yesterday, the one where anyone shows up pays 5 bucks and can play.

This is my second time out and I am surprised at the level of hockey, mostly current Jr B players and some good older hockey players. Well yesterday there are these two guys there and you could tell they where GOOD. Hands made from butter, a shoot that would fly with a 6 inch windup and skating SOOOOO smooth. So I said to one of the guys on the bench "OK where do you guys play", turns out the guy I talked to played pro in England but was now retired (blown knee) . He then says my buddy is Kevin Dallman of the St. Louis Blues. Yep NHL hockey player tring out a new pair of Skates. (Mission Fuel 110 XP)

All I have to say is what a great guy, you here about arrogant pro's this guy made sure he passed the puck to everyone and was just having a good time. The cool thing was watching him and his buddy when they were 1 on 1.

CLASS ACT

Kevin if your on this form thanks for a good time.

That's sweet. there was something like that a little more organized here in Dallas during the lockout with the Stars. Most of the Pro's ive met are great guys.

Doug Weight and Keith Tkachuk played in a house league during the lockout i believe. That must have been pretty cool.

At the local rink's summer league brad boyes, matt stajan and his brother all play on a team. From what i hear they dont take it very seriously (considering its 'b' level beerleagues) until they're down a goal and then they'll turn it on for one or two snipes.

But any real high level players i've played against are pretty level headed. they obviously know they're better than your local beerleaguer and have no one to show off to so they just have a good time. However, this doesnt mean you don't get to see a few dazzling goals, but thats part of the fun for everyone else.

Yes, Weight and Tkachuk played for a team in the Brentwood Hockey League during the lockout. Salvador and Mayers played as well. We have a Monday night pick up game here that will get random players throughout the summer as well. I used to goto a stick and puck with a guy recovering from an injury in the Italian league. His name was Gary Ricciardi or something like that. Played half ice with a couple Devils as well, Cam Jansen and I forgot the other 1's name. An old job of mine allowed me to meet a lot of players. Hockey players were by far the most fun. They just wanted to go out and have some fun. Ended up at some bars with them quite a few times. The Russians were usually quiet and reserved though. Larionov would always bring a young Russian with him and he would always read. Football players were always very polite and well mannered. They never missed a thank you. Baseball players were just complete asses. The younger ones thought they were a gift to everyone and way too arrogant. Older players were very friendly at least. By old, I mean people like Tony LaRussa, Lou Brock, Ken Oberkfel and such.

Yes, Weight and Tkachuk played for a team in the Brentwood Hockey League during the lockout. Salvador and Mayers played as well. We have a Monday night pick up game here that will get random players throughout the summer as well. I used to goto a stick and puck with a guy recovering from an injury in the Italian league. His name was Gary Ricciardi or something like that. Played half ice with a couple Devils as well, Cam Jansen and I forgot the other 1's name. An old job of mine allowed me to meet a lot of players. Hockey players were by far the most fun. They just wanted to go out and have some fun. Ended up at some bars with them quite a few times. The Russians were usually quiet and reserved though. Larionov would always bring a young Russian with him and he would always read. Football players were always very polite and well mannered. They never missed a thank you. Baseball players were just complete asses. The younger ones thought they were a gift to everyone and way too arrogant. Older players were very friendly at least. By old, I mean people like Tony LaRussa, Lou Brock, Ken Oberkfel and such.

Ryan Zimmerman is very nice baseball player. Back on topic, Do you know Jamie Kompon? i know him and he is really nice.

Ryan Zimmerman is very nice baseball player. Back on topic, Do you know Jamie Kompon? i know him and he is really nice.

Jamie is a good guy. I met him down in Nashville when the blues came to town as i was teaching a hockey school. We both do Weekend Warriors camps and he made a video for us last year to show at the camps he can't make it to. He got Mike Kitchen come in and talk with our campers before they played a game at the preds arena.

I don't know Jamie. Most of the players I know are now retired. I only call 1 a friend the rest would be acquintances(sp). Tkachuk always seemed arrogant to me but is a very nice guy and personable. Pronger I knew through a friend and always seemed a little shy. After meeting his parents a couple times, you realize why he is nice and very humble. I used to see some of the Preds everytime they came to town. Bouchard was the constant of the group and was very similar to Shanahan in that he liked to party a lot. Always drank a bloody caesar though which used to gross me out. I am sure there are plenty of baseball players that are good guys. The 1 that stuck out as an ass was Jeter. Think of being in high school and there was always a guy who thought he was better than everyone and multiply that by 10.

I love the opportunity to play against/with a player with pro level talent. I played against a gentleman 10 or 12 years ago in a beer league and he had to be at least 50 at the time, perhaps older. Very solid player great positionally, really good hands in tight. He made some really smooth, efortless looking moves. The overall impression I got was that this guy was GOOD.

After the game I asked who he was. I don't recall his name, but he was a no-talent goon in the WHA. I looked up his stats, I think in 4 or 5 seasons he had less 50 points.

Very humbling to realize this "no-talent" goon had just handed me my hat without breaking a sweat. I won't even go into the age difference.

Once in a while in the off season Ill find a few hawks and ex-hawks arround. Chellios especially, I played with his kids for my old team and when ever he is in the area I play pick-up with him. Ive played with Duncan Keith a very nice guy easy to talk to and a pretty damn funny guy, Calder, Mark Bell, a couple of other guys too. In the end they were all very nice guys especially Duncan, and if anyone has met Chellios you would prob know how nice of he is when hes at the rink he is happy to sign anything for people.

Ryan Zimmerman is very nice baseball player.  Back on topic, Do you know Jamie Kompon?  i know him and he is really nice.

I don't know Jamie. Most of the players I know are now retired. I only call 1 a friend the rest would be acquintances(sp). Tkachuk always seemed arrogant to me but is a very nice guy and personable. Pronger I knew through a friend and always seemed a little shy. After meeting his parents a couple times, you realize why he is nice and very humble. I used to see some of the Preds everytime they came to town. Bouchard was the constant of the group and was very similar to Shanahan in that he liked to party a lot. Always drank a bloody caesar though which used to gross me out. I am sure there are plenty of baseball players that are good guys. The 1 that stuck out as an ass was Jeter. Think of being in high school and there was always a guy who thought he was better than everyone and multiply that by 10.

wow, i thought Jeter would be unpleasant to meet, but not that bad.

I played against Kovalenko a few years ago , he was a rock with the puck , it was beer leauge and he was still sporting all his Boston Gear. he was really good untill anyone got into his space. I stood him up one time, we were up on them by 1 and he was driving the net, I am fairly solid, I stoped him in his tracks , He was PISSED , he was yelling his head off at me in Russian.

most players in the NHL I'd say are likable guys when you meet them, its the ones who didn't make it or are a few levels down who are bitter and d*cks

as for Jeter, my own dealings with him have always been good and I found him surprisingly laid back...

Ruchin has a drop in skate with all his NHL buddies in London Ontario once a week, A buddy of mine is a friend of his, If I ever go out , I will be sure to report back :-)

Once in a while in the off season Ill find a few hawks and ex-hawks arround. Chellios especially, I played with his kids for my old team and when ever he is in the area I play pick-up with him. Ive played with Duncan Keith a very nice guy easy to talk to and a pretty damn funny guy, Calder, Mark Bell, a couple of other guys too. In the end they were all very nice guys especially Duncan, and if anyone has met Chellios you would prob know how nice of he is when hes at the rink he is happy to sign anything for people.

What rink did you play with Keith/Calder/Bell at?

All the NHL guys I've met have been awesome guys.

Jeter is definitely a nice guy, you must have caught him on a bad day. Baseball and football stars are normally assholes, hockey players tend to be very nice guys.

I played a pick-up game yesterday, the one where anyone shows up pays 5 bucks and can play.

This is my second time out and I am surprised at the level of hockey, mostly current Jr B players and some good older hockey players. Well yesterday there are these two guys there and you could tell they where GOOD. Hands made from butter, a shoot that would fly with a 6 inch windup and skating SOOOOO smooth. So I said to one of the guys on the bench "OK where do you guys play", turns out the guy I talked to played pro in England but was now retired (blown knee) . He then says my buddy is Kevin Dallman of the St. Louis Blues. Yep NHL hockey player tring out a new pair of Skates. (Mission Fuel 110 XP)

All I have to say is what a great guy, you here about arrogant pro's this guy made sure he passed the puck to everyone and was just having a good time. The cool thing was watching him and his buddy when they were 1 on 1.

CLASS ACT

Kevin if your on this form thanks for a good time.

Where do you live? My friend told me the exact same story today at school.

I played a little pickup game with S. Gomex for about 5 minutes or so but then he had to go back to his little cousins b-day party or someones b-day party..I have seen around 10 or so current Devil players skating in pickup with a guy I know. My uncle, well close to uncle, very close to the family, once was palying on apond/lake and then these russian kids came on the ice, didn't even lace up the skates and wooped him. He then heard their names in the NHL years later..so I bet that was very cool.

First year the Avs were in Colorado I was working with them in a subcontract capacity and the trainers and employees would have a skate now and then. Good pickup games and every once in a while if a player was breaking in new skates or try a new stick or something they would come out and skate with us. Great test of your skills (or lack thereof)-what always floored me was the fact that I have always been a fairly quick skater but when somebody reaches full tilt in 3 strides-SHIIIIT!!!!

They were always exemplary gentlemen and more than willing to spend a minute or two and help you with a tip or two or just BS with you

This is the thing that has ALWAYS impressed me about Hockey players in general versus other sports.

They seem to be better educated, better mannered and upstanding members of the community as a whole.

When was the last time the Stanley Cup playoffs had 23 convicted felons participating?

Last years Super Bowl boasted that record!!

A few Goons in the game, but generally a class act overall

Thanks for being true ambassadors of the game

What rink did you play with Keith/Calder/Bell at?

Artic in Orland and SIA in Crestwood, the artic one was at 6 in the morining.

Definately second the notion on Duncan. Last year I went down to Norfolk 'cause a good buddy played on the hawks. They're all great guys, seeing as that I stayed with 4 of them and partied for two weeks, but Duncan was just overly nice. I was at lunch and he came in with his mother, and made a point of introducing us and telling her I was also from BC. When I went out and skated with them he was offering his new 30's he hadn't used yet. Of all the pros in different sports I know, nobody touches hockey players.