Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Allsmokenopancake

What excuse do you use to keep on gearwhoring?

OK, so being relatively new to hockey, has provided me with excuses to get different gear as I progressed over the past year.

I have my shoulders/elbows and shinpads, all fine.

In the past 6-7 months I have

Got a new helmet

Got a new pair of gloves

Got new skates

Got new pants

Got roller hockey skates for practicing away from the rink

Got inline pants (2 pairs)

Got inline Girdle

Got 4 sticks, none of which are broken yet.

Got a bunch of practice jerseys, sox, books (on conditioning for hockey by peter twist, and high performance skating), helmet tools, skate tools, stuff I have not used.

I don't need anything, yet I want more more more. We are saving for a house, we have to go back home to Ireland in novemeber again, so are putting money away from that.

Anyone else flat out of excuses for getting more stuff, but just wants to keep on buying? Is there a pill available to inhibit gearwhores like myself?

I've quit. I don't think I've purchased one hockey thing within the last year. Of course, I haven't been playing that much, but still I'm impressed with myself.

I can't stop, i don't even need new things ussually and most of the time realise i prefer my old gear but my other sports like soccer dont exactly cost alot so i have alot of spare cash

I really don't need anything else at this point.

The only thing I don't have duplicates of are helmet and shoulder pads. I'm pretty happy with both.

Otherwise, I'm a gear whore:

Gloves: 6 pairs

Pants: 3 pairs

Elbows: 2 (old ones not used anymore, but not thrown away)

Skates: 4 pairs (3 old pairs not used, but not thrown away)

Sticks: I move around between an XN10, Adrenaline, 2 Red Lites, and an Easton Z Bubble. All have Modano/Forsberg (or clone) except for one Sakic.

The only thing I don't have duplicates of are helmet and shoulder pads. I'm pretty happy with both.

Elbows: 2 (old ones not used anymore, but not thrown away)

Sticks: I move around between an XN10, Adrenaline, 2 Red Lites, and an Easton Z Bubble. All have Modano/Forsberg (or clone) except for one Sakic.

would you sell any of those gloves? :rolleyes:

There is need to have. Then there is want to have. Wisdom is knowing the difference.

Also keep in mind that equipment won't make you a better player. That has to come from within.

I only gear whore when the new stuff comes out. It's not THAT expensive for me as I get nice discounts from working, but it is still a lot. I just find it fun getting new equipment.

Gear-whoring: My Anti-Drug. ;)

I think gear-whoring is metro-sexualism for hockey players. Akin to shoe-buying for women, art / car collecting, antiquing etc. It becomes a hobby within the sport.

I gear-whore vicariously on this site, although I just bought a second pair of skates.

I think gear-whoring is metro-sexualism for hockey players. Akin to shoe-buying for women, art / car collecting, antiquing etc. It becomes a hobby within the sport.

I gear-whore vicariously on this site, although I just bought a second pair of skates.

I'm to damn cheap to buy new gear. I wear it till it's good and wore out.

the only things i can be a real gear whore are gloves and sticks...

i am absolutely no gear whore with protective stuff, the helmet i am wearing is about ten years old, my jofa shins and ellbows about four and shoulders 2 years, i don´t know why to change it against new stuff cause they are still fine working...

my thing is i am more a collector, it´s very hard for me to give away my old gear, maybe just memories ir madness?

so i am no gearwhore, not now but maybe i´ll get the jackpot at the lottery and then we can talk again... :D

I used to pick up needless gear but have since like others realized I prefered my older broken end gear and thats what I use....I just turned around and dumped every single piece of gear I didnt use on a regular basis on Ebay...I obviously didnt get all the money I put into the gear back...But I would say I at the least got 70-75% back for the stuff which I felt was pretty good considering I used most of the stuff more than a couple of times and got some use out of it....If I were you I would start unloading your extra gear on there...I have yet to not sell a single peice of equipement Ive put on there....But then youd probubly sell your equipement there and turn around and buy new stuff with the $$$ LOL.....

Skates: Vapor XXX, Vapor XX, Vapor 10 or 8 I can't remember, and CCM 1152's.

Sticks: 8 Synergys, 1 Graf, 4 SherWoods, tons of other random ones.

Shoulder Pads: Nike's and Easton's

Elbow Pads: Nike's and Bauers

Gloves: Easton Air's and 2 pairs of TPS's.

Helmets: Black Bauer 5000 and White Bauer 3000.

Pants: Nike, Tackla, and Bauer.

Shin pads: 2 pairs of Jofas.

The only thing I don't have duplicates of are helmet and shoulder pads.  I'm pretty happy with both.

Elbows:  2 (old ones not used anymore, but not thrown away)

Sticks: I move around between an XN10, Adrenaline, 2 Red Lites, and an Easton Z Bubble.  All have Modano/Forsberg (or clone) except for one Sakic.

Haha... The stuff you'd want is the stuff I use the most.

Those Bauer 5000 Pro Stock gloves from Hockey Giant RULE!

AND!! I got them for $40!! :D :D

The only thing I don't have duplicates of are helmet and shoulder pads.  I'm pretty happy with both.

Sticks: I move around between an XN10, Adrenaline, 2 Red Lites, and an Easton Z Bubble.  All have Modano/Forsberg (or clone) except for one Sakic.

how? arent they 79.99?

i have sort of stopped gear whoring but now that i have money im finding my self wanted something everyday. i guess the best way to stay away from it is just wait it out. dont go in to your lhs for a few days ( i know very hard for some of us to do) and maybe the eurg to buy will go away.

how? arent they 79.99?

hockeygiant puts them on sale for $40 at random times.

I'm a soon to be gearwhore, when I actually get new stuff. I'm actually gonna get new gear this summer. Proof of how little I get gear: I've been using the same exact helmet for my whole hockey career (that would be 12 years), I've been using the same shaft for the last 4 years, the same protective stuff for the last 3 years... But at least I got new skates last summer.

:o ITS LIKE CRACK-SOMEBODY NEEDS TO INVENT A 12 STEP PROGRAM FOR GEAR!

I'm a gear whore-Acceptance and recognition is the first step.

THANK GOD I'M NO LONGER A GOALTENDER!!!

I'd be divorced and on the streets, living out of my wheeled bag (mobile home?)

with a sign that says "why lie, I need an OPS fix" or "why mask my problem" sic

Time to head for the LHS-I'm having a relapse :blink:

I'm a gearwhore. I spend an obscene amount of time on this site and online sucking up all the bits of info about gear I can get. I think the obsession comes from trying to fine-tune my equipment package to get the best performance possible.

How much difference it makes to my game is hard to quantify, but I want to play the best that I can and every little bit helps (that's my excuse).

I'm a gearwhore. I spend an obscene amount of time on this site and online sucking up all the bits of info about gear I can get. I think the obsession comes from trying to fine-tune my equipment package to get the best performance possible.

How much difference it makes to my game is hard to quantify, but I want to play the best that I can and every little bit helps (that's my excuse).

See, I am the same, I would have been fine had I never heard about this site. It has become like a little gear bible to me. I am not good enough to know the difference skate weight or shaft weight or flex will make, but once I get good enough, I will know where to come for the info.

In the meantime, I am a gearwhore, but a logical one. I don't buy top end gear, because I would look like a twat at the rink, unable to get a shot higher than my knee with a XXX lite, or tripping over myself in my bauer one90's.

My gloves are Vector 4, skates are CCM 852, Helmet (just purchased) is the 4500, have one OPS I got from a fellow MSHer here, and a few woodies.

So its controlled gear whore-erey, if thats a term to be used, so I don't feel so bad

Let's see, in the past year and a half, maybe two...

Skates

RBK 4K Inlines for outdoor

RBK 9K Pump Ice Skates

Easton 800 C Ice Skates

Mission 3500s for outdoor

Mission 7500s

RBK 8K Pump Inlines

RBK 8Ks for ice

Tour Bluemaxs

Mission S400s

Gloves

Tour H7s

Easton Airs

RBK 6Ks

RBK 8Ks

Helmets/Accesories

Itech Titanium Cage

CCM 652

Mission Intake

Bauer 4000

CCM 852

RBK 8K

Sticks/Shafts

Warrior AK27

Various Blades

Protective

Bauer Imapct 300 Shoulders

Easton Synergy 500 Shoulders

RBK 8K Elbows

RBK 4K Shins

Bauer SBD II Shoulders

Think I have a problem?

Let's see, in the past year and a half, maybe two...

Skates

RBK 4K Inlines for outdoor

RBK 9K Pump Ice Skates

Easton 800 C Ice Skates

Mission 3500s for outdoor

Mission 7500s

RBK 8K Pump Inlines

RBK 8Ks for ice

Tour Bluemaxs

Mission S400s

Gloves

Tour H7s